Powrtouch mover - worth extra cost for electric engagement?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We ordered a Powrtouch caravan mover for our new (single axle) Coachman at the NEC show. I assume that the model quoted will be the one where we engage the rollers by hand (as I have done for the past 5 years with the old Carver mover).

Does anyone have experience of the option to have the rollers engaged "at the press of a button" (Powrtouch advert). It's an extra £195 which seems a heck of a lot.

Is this reliable? Does it cause extra drain on the battery?

Thanks

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Chris

I use manual, my mate uses electric engagement.

Quite honestly unless you are infirm, badly disabled or just an absolute weakling go for the manual engagement. It is not difficult or slow.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My friend who is 75 has the Powrtouch manual and it was very hard for him to do when he had the power bar that enables actuation from one side

Following a mishap he had the bar removed and finds it better as less effort twice is easier for him

I have the luxury of the auto engage and don't regret the expense at all after having a manual Carver for 7 years

I would definitely have the auto engage again

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just re read your posting

It must cause extra drain on the battery to engage but its nothing like the load involved in moving the van and with a fully charged battery should not be a problem

There is a facility to manually wind it off in the unlikely event of complete battery failure when engaged

Its been extremely reliable but I had concerns about the vulnerability until we lost a wheel and the van ran on the mover casing for 100m + after which it and the auto engage worked as normal.

The mover had moved back slightly along the chassis but the auto engage soon pushed it back against the stops

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chris

I use manual, my mate uses electric engagement.

Quite honestly unless you are infirm, badly disabled or just an absolute weakling go for the manual engagement. It is not difficult or slow.

Cheers

Alan
I had a feeling that would be the answer, Alan...!!!

To be honest I don't want to spend any more money unless there is a definite advantage. Am not sure if we would have bought a new caravan if I knew then what I know now......

cheers

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I have a form of auto engagement it called the wife its quick easy does not drain the battery or strain my back.
i tried that semi automation stephen , but it wouldnt work in the cold or wet ,and gave me lot of verbal , so i gave that one up , you have laugh

Feb 19, 2006
Visit site
When my last one was fitted the fitter said that most of his call backs were for the auto engagement thingy's and they were not worth the trouble.

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Well we had the Powrtouch fitted last July with the auto engagement of the rollers...and so far no problems..it does a great job. ...and it doesn't seem to cause too much drain on the battery which we keep charged up.

I think it is a matter of choice really..but I am sure as they sell a lot of the manual ones they are just as good....and as you say it is cheaper.

I think you could have the manual fitted and change over later if you wished. The firm are very good like that. Chat it over with them and ask them...

Chrisann.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Cant see its worth the extra cost or weight, we have a powertouch, initialy had a power bar fitted but removed that at advice of a power touch fitter. Surprising how heavy it was and even though i know have to engage rollers seperatley it is a lot easier to engage them now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is possible to have the auto fitted later but it costs more than if its fitted at the time of original installation

http://www.powrwheel.com/powractuator.asp?GoLarge=&Order=&Qty=&Colour=&Style=&Size=&DesURL=&Prid=&TNumb=&DesP=&Cash=&PL=5,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0.00,20000,0,0&De=0&St=&StID=
As to if its worth it it depends on how much help you get and how nimble/old you are

My wife is disabled and stays in the car untile the van is level and steps are in place with legs down so any help is worth it to me especially if its raining

I prefer to spend the money on things to help now because the more that you retain the more they take for care home fees in the end !!!!

Mar 2, 2007
Visit site
Hello. I had a Powrtouch Model 3 with electric roller engagement fitted to my new Coachman last May and I have had no problems. The power drain on the battery is negligable, as engagement and disengagement only takes a few seconds.

Henry.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, thanks to everyone for all these useful comments - just goes to show how this Forum can help.

It looks as tho the answer is horses for courses -what is good for some may not be worth it for others.

So thanks again, we'll decide when the time comes - can't wait to get our hands on the new van.....what a luxury....we know how lucky we are.

Cheers

ChrisH

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
HELLO CHRIS I HAVE A POWERTOUCH MOVER FITTED TO MY VAN WITH BAR ACROSS AND I CAN PUT THEM BOTH ON FROM ONE SIDE I FOUND IT HARD TO PUT ON AND OFF AT FIRST AS I AM DISABLED SO A FRIEND MADE AN EXTENTION BAR TO FIT ONTO THE ORIGINAL BAR NOW I CAN PUT IT ON AND OFF WITHOUT FEELING THE SPRING AS IT COMES OF WHEN I RELEASE IT JOHN

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts