Practical Caravan Magazine

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I cancelled my subscription about 8 months ago. I had forgotten why, I soon realised when I purchased the latest edition. The testing of 20 different screwdrivers!!!!! I have a 50p anything you see market stall set of screwdrivers in my van for emergencies. I have had them 16 years.

Maybe there is something wrong with me but I'm not interested in screwdrivers. Next month it will be 20 kitchen roll holders put through thier paces.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
I thought it was a fantastic artical and rushed out and bought the winning flat-blade screwdriver. ;o)

Trouble is I can't find anything around the house ,car or caravan that has got flat-blade screws !!!

Oh well (",)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In that case Brian, I'll bide my time and wait for the moment you are fed up with a screwdriver you can't use. Then I'll pounce (ok, amble quickly) and put a bid in for your multi tool at a much reduced price, you won't be able to say no. That is of course, if your house hunting doesn't come up with a house full of slotted screws. That would be an interesting question to put to the Estate Agent.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Personally I think you are all being VERY unkind!

I am still traumatised from my complete inability to construct the sink-drainer we recently purchased having read the Consumers Association 16 page report on drying times, angle of dangle and vectored thrust plate drying.

Having made our choice I did not realise just how "Practical" you had to be in order to construct "The best sink drainer in the world" (subject to new models being introduced in the future).

I now understand that if I had had this article I would have realised my inadequacy in the tool department and never started erecting such a complicated structure without reference to a good anal ysis on what constitutes a good screw

driver.

Inadequately yours

Clive

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I have not read that article yet, does it give clear instructions on what end you hold as I've beleive few on here may need that level of guidance if some of the post re DIY are anything to go by ;-)

No doubt their is guidance re buying the screwdrivers but only leting a "PRO tradesman" use them or attend a 6 week intensive course on how to screw!

In the best possible sense of taste of course ;-)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I attended the screwing course cris, Her Ladyship says I still need more lessons. The reason she gave was as Clive stated in his sink drainer comment, the angle of the dangle. The dishes kept sliding off and breaking. hehheh! :OP

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I really think that PC magaine should be credited for running the article.

To many people fail to realise that there are many different types of screws, Cross Head, Philip and the standard type straight slot head.

Of course using the right sized tool for the screw in hand is most important and can save a lot of ebarrasment and untold troubles.

The Correct size to minimize likely hood of a damage scenario and maintain a long term secure working relationship between tool and the part you are "driving" seems to be born out by recent press reports on the deputy PM ;-0

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I really think that PC magaine should be credited for running the article.

To many people fail to realise that there are many different types of screws, Cross Head, Philip and the standard type straight slot head.

Of course using the right sized tool for the screw in hand is most important and can save a lot of ebarrasment and untold troubles.

The Correct size to minimize likely hood of a damage scenario and maintain a long term secure working relationship between tool and the part you are "driving" seems to be born out by recent press reports on the deputy PM ;-0
hehheh!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Brian (st Albans)

Look at the light switchers and the plug sockets.

Sorry Lol that many you will not get it at a not down price.

I can not wait till p,c, magazine brines one out on spanners.

Mark

LRG

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
The latest edition is a tad better than of late but I agree with you abt the screwdrivers: nearly as sad as the drainer episode.

The best mag is the CC one free to CC members and covered by the yearly sub.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Maybe next month it'll be awning peg mallets.

"stop right there" Just bash um in with what ever's to had, a rolled up mag even.

When your away and needing anything, you improvise and use what's at hand, thats half the fun.

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Hmm yes - i emailed PC suggesting they did something on what involved in getting the category E part of a licence (for us youngster) - (ie how to get the training, whats it's like and whats the test like).

Didn't get a reply - the screwdriver review really put my suggestion in it's place :)

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
You know what guys and gals- whenever I want a laugh I can always depend on the caravanning fraternity to supply them in excess! The sarcasm, the wit- Brilliant- Keep it up! Peculiarly British wouldn't you say

MERVE

TRENDING THREADS