Price explosions.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Its incredible the way prices have gone since lockdown.

Five years ago, we bought a Kampa Rally Air Pro (and what a modern disaster that was) for around £1000. The equivalent awning today under the Dometic banner is £2000. Isabella Ambassador, a rise of £500 in three years. People getting more for their caravans than they paid for them . Bailey Caravans, a price rise for the new Unicorn, only top be expected, but another due in January of about 4%, a rise of about 8% in 12 months. Would you have thought three years ago, that the top of the range Coachman would be £35000 plus change. This is creeping up towards motorhome territory.

And its only going to get worse, the caravan industry and its sub industries are on a roll now. They know they can get away with it due to current demand. Boy oh boy are they going to make us suffer. Yet I am 100% certain that nothing will be done to alleviate the issues that every single marque of caravan suffers. Perhaps its time the governemnt looked into this, which in truth is a huge industry when you consider all it encompasses.

I am just waiting for the ambulance chasers to get involved. "Were you sold a caravan between 1990 and 2021, if so, you may have a claim. Call Dick Turpin on xxx xxxxxxx.

Reactions: Robert_374373903
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Its incredible the way prices have gone since lockdown.

Five years ago, we bought a Kampa Rally Air Pro (and what a modern disaster that was) for around £1000. The equivalent awning today under the Dometic banner is £2000. Isabella Ambassador, a rise of £500 in three years. People getting more for their caravans than they paid for them . Bailey Caravans, a price rise for the new Unicorn, only top be expected, but another due in January of about 4%, a rise of about 8% in 12 months. Would you have thought three years ago, that the top of the range Coachman would be £35000 plus change. This is creeping up towards motorhome territory.

And its only going to get worse, the caravan industry and its sub industries are on a roll now. They know they can get away with it due to current demand. Boy oh boy are they going to make us suffer. Yet I am 100% certain that nothing will be done to alleviate the issues that every single marque of caravan suffers. Perhaps its time the governemnt looked into this, which in truth is a huge industry when you consider all it encompasses.

I am just waiting for the ambulance chasers to get involved. "Were you sold a caravan between 1990 and 2021, if so, you may have a claim. Call Dick Turpin on xxx xxxxxxx.
I really don't think that in all reason HMG can, or should get involved in what isn't even a strategic area of the country's interests. The leisure industry has to look to itself to resolve any issues, but as people are buying the products like there's no tomorrow there is little incentive. Prices may rise even more post January 2022 when UK is scheduled to introduce the incoming border checks under the Brexit Agreement. So far we haven't introduce many new border checks on incoming goods. Although we have tariff and quota free agreement it assumes a certain level of value is created in the exporting country. If that value isn't created and certified tariffs can be applied. So if an Italian manufacturer has materials and sub assemblies from out side the EU they have to certify the value of non EU products is under the tariff limit. Otherwise an import tariff will be levied.

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
If you have a problem with a car you have the Motor Ombudsman:

The Motor Ombudsman is the automotive dispute resolution body. Fully-impartial, it is the first ombudsman to be focused solely on the automotive sector, and self-regulates the UK’s motor industry through its comprehensive Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI)-approved Codes of Practice.

With a caravan you have the NCC which lets be honest is a long way from impartial. To me, this is a large part of the problem. Recently I have had a dispute with a dealer over some botched repairs. I then find out that the director is heavily involved with the NCC. By referring to the governemnt, I think this industry could either be incorporated fully under the Motor Ombudsman Scheme, or a new Ombudsman Scheme should be set up. Just my humble opinion of course.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you have a problem with a car you have the Motor Ombudsman:

The Motor Ombudsman is the automotive dispute resolution body. Fully-impartial, it is the first ombudsman to be focused solely on the automotive sector, and self-regulates the UK’s motor industry through its comprehensive Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI)-approved Codes of Practice.

With a caravan you have the NCC which lets be honest is a long way from impartial. To me, this is a large part of the problem. Recently I have had a dispute with a dealer over some botched repairs. I then find out that the director is heavily involved with the NCC. By referring to the governemnt, I think this industry could either be incorporated fully under the Motor Ombudsman Scheme, or a new Ombudsman Scheme should be set up. Just my humble opinion of course.
But the MO was set up by the motor industry wasnt it, not by HMG. I would support a leisure vehicle ombudsman set up by the industry providing it was impartial and had teeth.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
My mistake. I always thought the Ombudsman Schemes were more official. But yes, I too would be highly in favour of something similar, but as you say, it would need teeth.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think for the industry it is more a case of making hay while the sun shines due to a shortage of both [parts and new models. Once the current problems are resolved it may be far harder to maintain current price levels particularly if second hand prices drop back.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... Perhaps its time the governemnt looked into this, which in truth is a huge industry when you consider all it encompasses.

I do agree the caravan industry has far too many loose ends and sharp practices by some businesses which really could do with being brought under some sort of control. But whilst teh business as a whole may seem big, in reality it's quite small beer in the context of the overall economy.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
NCC is a privately owned group of companies predominantly owned by family members who have fingers in several associated pies. The "Council" is even run by the same lot. There will be no impartiality with them as they simply represent their paying trade members. The 2 main clubs are also active in the industry so cannot represent members. The closest we have to refer for help is Trading Standards.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
NCC is a privately owned group of companies predominantly owned by family members who have fingers in several associated pies. The "Council" is even run by the same lot. There will be no impartiality with them as they simply represent their paying trade members. The 2 main clubs are also active in the industry so cannot represent members. The closest we have to refer for help is Trading Standards.
Nope you have CRA 2015 which is better than approaching TS who take forever to resolve an issue. Also one of the reasons why we now always have some finance on HP.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Prices may rise even more post January 2022 when UK is scheduled to introduce the incoming border checks under the Brexit Agreement. So far we haven't introduce many new border checks on incoming goods
Actually all tariffs became payable from 1st Jan 2021, so that may have impacted some prices for components, however products that are EU origin, according to the rules, remains duty free, although a customs declaration is required.

But other raw materials have shot up in price, such as timber/plywood, microchips. Covid outbreaks in Asian ports and factories have created shortages, and over demand on shipping space has seen prices for containers rise from £1200 to £10,000+ just this year. Hence record profits for the shipping lines coupled with delays.

This is also why new van delivery dates keep going back.

We're living in a perfect storm and price rises are the inevitable result. I don't expect the van manufacturers are doing much more than keeping their heads above water in a nightmare 18 months.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Actually all tariffs became payable from 1st Jan 2021, so that may have impacted some prices for components, however products that are EU origin, according to the rules, remains duty free, although a customs declaration is required.

But other raw materials have shot up in price, such as timber/plywood, microchips. Covid outbreaks in Asian ports and factories have created shortages, and over demand on shipping space has seen prices for containers rise from £1200 to £10,000+ just this year. Hence record profits for the shipping lines coupled with delays.

This is also why new van delivery dates keep going back.

We're living in a perfect storm and price rises are the inevitable result. I don't expect the van manufacturers are doing much more than keeping their heads above water in a nightmare 18 months.
I was actually referring to the border checks which apart from the border between GB and NI aren’t being applied elsewhere by us. But some are due to be applied in October and the full scope on 1 Jan 2022. These can include all the certification required for importing plants, livestock and foodstuffs that has been causing such problems in NI and exporting seafood and meat to the EU. Also checks on the percentage EU and non EU by value on manufactured items. Be interesting to see what we plan to do for such imports from EU to GB. I think that as the vast new lorry park near Dover has just been downsized we might be seeing a delay to our readiness to conduct incoming checks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-58280121?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
I was actually referring to the border checks which apart from the border between GB and NI aren’t being applied elsewhere by us. But some are due to be applied in October and the full scope on 1 Jan 2022. These can include all the certification required for importing plants, livestock and foodstuffs that has been causing such problems in NI and exporting seafood and meat to the EU. Also checks on the percentage EU and non EU by value on manufactured items. Be interesting to see what we plan to do for such imports from EU to GB. I think that as the vast new lorry park near Dover has just been downsized we might be seeing a delay to our readiness to conduct incoming checks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-58280121?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
My apologies, I thought you were referring to the general customs changes post Brexit applied from 1/1/21, including declarations, tariffs etc. You are right that more controls are on the way.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My apologies, I thought you were referring to the general customs changes post Brexit applied from 1/1/21, including declarations, tariffs etc. You are right that more controls are on the way.
I think though that your thoughts on a perfect storm may be bang on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As far as I know the NCC is a single entity - not a group, but I do agree its is ONLY a trade body and it will represent the business that subscribe to the NCC. Whilst it has a token function where it suggests it might help to settle consumer injustices, it has no teeth, and no means of enforcing an outcome from its arbitration, if teh business involved happens to disagree.

As the NCC does not engage in retail sales, consumer rights legislation has no influence over its activities, however Trading standards might but only in limited areas on matters brought by traders - not consumers.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
As far as I know the NCC is a single entity - not a group, but I do agree its is ONLY a trade body and it will represent the business that subscribe to the NCC. Whilst it has a token function where it suggests it might help to settle consumer injustices, it has no teeth, and no means of enforcing an outcome from its arbitration, if teh business involved happens to disagree.

As the NCC does not engage in retail sales, consumer rights legislation has no influence over its activities, however Trading standards might but only in limited areas on matters brought by traders - not consumers.
Note that "the NCC" actually National Caravan Council Ltd, was the owner of NCC Chris Ltd until recently when it sold that company to CCN Leisure Ltd. Ownership of it all is the same group of people who also own other companies, including a caravan retailer. Technically. I wouldn't want to argue the case either way. ;)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This cropped up a while back. A quick check at Companies House will tell who runs the NCC and what other companies they are directors of. No surprise they all work for caravan dealers and material suppliers🤣🤣🤣🤣Ern is correct.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts