Propane gas

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have just collected a new 'van with the new type fixed gas regulator. Over many years we have used the little 4.5kg butane blue bottles but as we are thinking of going away during the winter the use of propane is to be prefered. I was wondering if anyone could indicate how long the 6kg propane will last in comparison to the 4.5kg butane. Of course the rate of use will determine the consumption and the lager bottle on size alone would suggest an increase in time by 1/3 as much again. At the moment the 4.5kg butane will last us a whole season.

I suppose I am looking for some indication of efficiency of the propane. Thanks Bart

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Bart, Butane has a slightly higher calorific value than Propane, so you would tend use slightly less butane than propane to produce the same amount of heat, In practice however this was especially true becuase in the UK we used to regulate butane at 28mBar, and Propane at 37mBar. This difference in pressure compensated for the differnce in calorfic values and meant that you wold get the same amount of heat from an appliance with either Butane or propane. The situation has changed, we now have a common pressure (30mBar) and that an appliance will liberate more heat from butane than propane over the same length of time. You may find that the cooker takes longer to boil a kettle. Other applinces that use thermostats should compensate and function normally.

I suspect that given the same heating demands you will tend to use about 25% more propane than butane, but becuase you are winter caravanning you will probably need more heating than at other times of the year.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I am rather alarmed with the amount of gas we go through in a month and that is only using the van on weekends. We have the 6 kg propane bottles. On a Friday it is only the evening meal, Saturday morning and evening meals and Sunday morning meal only. Gas is used initially to for about 30 minutes to warm the van in the mornings and evenings before switrching to electric. We do not use it to heat water or the fridge but 4 weekends later the bottle is empty. At

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bart, we caravan all year round (approx 60 nights a year) so we use propane gas. I only carry one 3.9 cylinder and it usually lasts about 8 months. We tend only to use it for cooking, usually using electric for heating.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts