PT Cruiser - low tow weight?

Apr 30, 2006
Visit site
Can anyone please shed light on why the official towing capacity of my petrol PT CRUISER is only 1000kg - which is only 62% of it's kerb weight. Also, the US sight has the towing capacity as 1000lb - considerbaly less??

Thanks in anticipation

Bri

PS Apologies if you read this post in 'Towcars' - it seemed to fall between two stools

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The PT Cruiser is based on the Chrysler Neon which also has low towing limits, 200kg for the auto!

Both the Neon and PT Cruiser were designed for the US market with European sales an after-thought. In their home market these cars would only be required to tow a small luggage trailer, caravans are normally towed by much bigger vehicles, eg pick-ups.

Automotive engineers don't usually publish their reasons for a particular towing limit - it will of course be at the lowest level of all the factors involved.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I seem to remember there was a statement in the Cruiser's handbook pertaining to train weight which appeared to make it illegal to tow anything with them. This may have been altered recently. Read your handbook very carefully before you tow.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The difference between European and US towloads is explained by basic differences in test procedure.

I suspect that the low figure for the PT Cruiser is due to the brakes on this vehicle being borderline regarding fade at max. GVW, even in the solo condition.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts