Putting up a large awning advice

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
If you are threading it through the rail with the sides in, it must be extremely heavy? Most people would remove the sides on a full size awning before erecting it. We do not have the sides in when we erect our much smaller porch awning. Makes life a lot simpler and easier.
Awning glide in the rail and I pull and he pushes. That bit is done in a few minutes. Each time we put it up it gets quicker. It would take longer for us to zip the big panels back in than to thread it through the rail.

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
You made me wonder if there really people out there who do not remove all the fronts and sides when decamping. I cannot imagine in a million years being able to fold it all up and get it in the bag!🤪
Never had a problem folding it and getting it back in the bag with all parts in place.

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
Follow the Isabella video on you tube,keep all doors on.The Isabella guy has perfect conditions and must be 6 ft 6” tall so bear this in mind.We put it up this way and we are only 5ft. 6”.We use a small stepladder to attach poles to van
We use a step ladder too. The main reason for the stepladder is to reach the roofbox

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
Follow the Isabella video on you tube,keep all doors on.The Isabella guy has perfect conditions and must be 6 ft 6” tall so bear this in mind.We put it up this way and we are only 5ft. 6”.We use a small stepladder to attach poles to van
He’s rather good looking to and I like his voice

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
At first I was not sure what they wanted to do and did not want to interfere. It was only when they started trying to pull the awning over the frame we realised that something was not right. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I watched 2 rather obese females, mother and daughter levelling a fold out camper, the daughter was levelling each steady with a spirit level. They did not realise the pitch wasnt level. I offered some advice saying level it on the jockey wheel, then use the steadies to steady it. She flew off on one, saying i always do it this way. Anyway through the night there was much cursing and swearing, apparently the unit had slipped and was rather unsteady. Needless to say when i saw her in the morning and greeted her with Good Morning, she avoided my gaze and completely ignored me.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We prefer the easy life so sides are always removed when erecting any awning.
My technique also, though I suspect with the light weight fabrics I might do otherwise.

My choice is to simply reduce the weight that inevitably drags on feeding the bead through the rail, as stated I do it single handed and without the use of a step ladder. Carrying the latter to me would simply add to the clutter.

Also, in refolding things to bag them up I find it being in multi pieces makes it easier for me and IMO poses less crease risk on the vulnerable "windows". I have no option but handle the Magnums tall extension as a one-piece task, and that endorses my keeping the main awning task to the way I do.

The people watching thing, even the helping, plus realising the weight on threading them makes me quite sure I will leave having an air awning to them.

I am all for the easier life!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we use to put our awning up on our caravan we use the Kampa Easy Pulley System never had a problem we prefer the easier way of life with my mobility issues.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts