Quiet at Longleat CAMC

May 11, 2021
Visit site
9E592AA8-8995-46F1-8EDB-1C0F863EA2F5.jpeg
It’s like a morgue! We arrived on Saturday when it was a bit more lively but since then people have been leaving and few arrivals. I’d estimate 10-15% occupancy, never seen a site so empty in mid-summer.

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
We were at a normally busy site until Tuesday. It was gradually emptying out. The wardens said it was normal as the retired caravans mostly disappear before the bulk of the schools break up and that this weekend it will be full.

Reactions: figbat
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We stayed at a popular site outside Weston Super Mare two weeks ago. First weekend in July and also during the week numerous empty pitches.

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
We were at Longleat for Easter and it was really quiet, less than 50% occupancy. Maybe others had heard of the delightful female warden - "pitch your van with the offside corner in line with the marker post, if you are not perfectly in line with the peg and square on to it you WILL be required to move your caravan"

and welcome......

• Haha
Reactions: Challenger
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We were at Longleat for Easter and it was really quiet, less than 50% occupancy. Maybe others had heard of the delightful female warden - "pitch your van with the offside corner in line with the marker post, if you are not perfectly in line with the peg and square on to it you WILL be required to move your caravan"

and welcome......
Stalag Longleat, you don't need that sort of attitude from Wardens, we had that at a large site near Stratford on Avon, a few years ago. When you tried that you ended up deep in mud. 6 vans the same , yeat around us were dry pitches. Could not wait to leave, only the friends made it a good trip.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

and welcome......
Wow! I would have said thanks but no thanks and found another site nearby. What a terrible way to greet people.
If you are 6 inches off the peg and they then tell you to move after you have set up and you refuse, what can they do except report you to the club?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I had the wardens tell me that I had to park to the white peg and they were very strict on this at Whitewater Park. It was not said in a rude way, but seemed unnecessary to me. The new system of two pegs should help though and the act the club never clarified how close you had to be did not help.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One of the many reasons why some commercial sites and CLs are much more preferable than CAMC sites. next they will have a bugler out at 6am and every one has to be up and about by 8am and breakfast must be finished by 9am and all washing up done by 10am when you are allowed to leave the site. On returning you will need to report to the guardhouse reception and advise of your return. Supper must be done by 8pm at the latest and everyone has to be in bed and lights off by 10pm! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can honestly say that in all our years of using main sites for CMHC and CCC we have never had any issues with site staff or where/ how to position the caravan. I cannot understand why it should be so contentious.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I can honestly say that in all our years of using main sites for CMHC and CCC we have never had any issues with site staff or where/ how to position the caravan. I cannot understand why it should be so contentious.
Admitted we have never had any issues with CC site staff when we did use CC sites, but had issues with attitudes of C&CC site wardens on one or two sites. Just to add that in both cases we were not at fault. Just an awkward warden!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I had the wardens tell me that I had to park to the white peg and they were very strict on this at Whitewater Park. It was not said in a rude way, but seemed unnecessary to me. The new system of two pegs should help though and the act the club never clarified how close you had to be did not help.
I haven't used club sites for many years because they're too cramped and regimented - but I guess the reason for such strict regimentatation is that it's the only way to comply with the 6m/3m safety rules, given that cars, caravans and awnings seem to get wider year on year.

Several decades ago, the CC experimented on all-grass sites using 4 painted dots on the grass and requiring that caravan and awning must be within that area - seemed to work well enough to me, allowing pitching nose in, out or sideways - but the idea was dropped - and couldn't be used on hard standings.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We also had a warden at New Hall Farm would you park your caravan next to the peg but not in a nasty way but with the pitch been elevated he brought me some blocks of wood to lift the steadies at the front .but it was a lovely view

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
Admitted we have never had any issues with CC site staff when we did use CC sites, but had issues with attitudes of C&CC site wardens on one or two sites. Just to add that in both cases we were not at fault. Just an awkward warden!
Funny, but when we were at Longleat we went cycling the Kennet and Avon canal to see the Caen Hill locks near Devizes and came upon a C&CC site next to the canal. I`ve been a member for a few years but never used any of their sites, so called in for a look (cracking site it appeared). I asked about the `allocated pitch` thing, and the wardens said that only applied in certain special circumstances, and you could usually pick your own pitch. You could also pitch anyway you wanted - "it`s your pitch, you paid for it!"

Reactions: Hutch and Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Funny, but when we were at Longleat we went cycling the Kennet and Avon canal to see the Caen Hill locks near Devizes and came upon a C&CC site next to the canal. I`ve been a member for a few years but never used any of their sites, so called in for a look (cracking site it appeared). I asked about the `allocated pitch` thing, and the wardens said that only applied in certain special circumstances, and you could usually pick your own pitch. You could also pitch anyway you wanted - "it`s your pitch, you paid for it!"
That’s a lovely site at Seend, almost with its own pub outside, and others along the canal towards Devizes or Trowbridge.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Here at Abbey Wood at the mo. It's rammed. Totally full. Great multicultural Atmos. I love it here. Last chance in a caravan for a while as divorce is sorted . 😩 But the Europeans. Suzuki Swift towing this? So interesting. But the peg system is simple and fine and the wardens delightful.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here at Abbey Wood at the mo. It's rammed. Totally full. Great multicultural Atmos. I love it here. Last chance in a caravan for a while as divorce is sorted . 😩 But the Europeans. Suzuki Swift towing this? So interesting. But the peg system is simple and fine and the wardens delightful.
Glad you’re enjoying the trip. What was the Swift towing?
CC London sites are great for going to concerts or shows.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I cant post the photo but a decent sized caravan! Will take a lower quality one in a mo! Yes seen a fix already and they're barking and screeching regularly and you're warned not to leave your shoes out!!!!all good fun!

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I cant post the photo but a decent sized caravan! Will take a lower quality one in a mo! Yes seen a fix already and they're barking and screeching regularly and you're warned not to leave your shoes out!!!!all good fun!
I edited my post as it was CC Crystal Palace where the foxes took on the role of pilfering shoes, handbags etc. Did not have an issue at the time at Abbeywood. But clearly they have passed on the anti social habits throughout London.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
when we were at Longleat we went cycling the Kennet and Avon canal to see the Caen Hill locks near Devizes and came upon a C&CC site next to the canal.

I stayed at the site in June and, as you say, it's only a short distance up the road to the canal towpath or down the road to the Cavendish Inn. The site has now been delisted from the C&CC because the previous owner decided to sell the site. The new company owner hasn't joined the C&CClub and has renamed the site. It's now https://silverhillwoodlandretreats.co.uk/touring/

If you are interested in the area or want to read about the site, see the blog entry I wrote for it at https://jondogoescaravanning.com/derbyshire-the-peak-district-june-2022/

Reactions: Hutch
Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Wow! I would have said thanks but no thanks and found another site nearby. What a terrible way to greet people.
If you are 6 inches off the peg and they then tell you to move after you have set up and you refuse, what can they do except report you to the club?

Site up, then move the peg so it exactly meets specifications :ROFLMAO:
Or use a CLin the first place......

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Had a warden a few years ago on Ilfracombe site that had set out pegs front and rear as you pitch in a circle on part of the site and everyone HAD to be pointing dead centre.
I just moved the pegs :p

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I stayed at the site in June and, as you say, it's only a short distance up the road to the canal towpath or down the road to the Cavendish Inn. The site has now been delisted from the C&CC because the previous owner decided to sell the site. The new company owner hasn't joined the C&CClub and has renamed the site. It's now https://silverhillwoodlandretreats.co.uk/touring/

If you are interested in the area or want to read about the site, see the blog entry I wrote for it at https://jondogoescaravanning.com/derbyshire-the-peak-district-june-2022/
Thank you I enjoyed reading your blog on Wiltshire as until recently we lived in Bradford on Avon about 100 m from the Kennet and Avon towpath. The link you provided doesn’t seem to cover the ex CCC site at Sells Green it’s Teversal, and for the life of me where is the Cavendish Inn. I know the Three Magpies, Barge and ex Bell inn. But not a Cavendish Inn which if it’s good we would plan to visit.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts