Quiet generator for caravan

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Apologies first as I am sure there must be way to do a word search on this forum but I have not yet sussed that out !!! We are looking to get a QUIET small generator for use with our caravan which we use at most 4 times a year. We will only want to run the Tv off it. But a generator will come in handy here at home anyway.

So at risk of being told off ...can anyone make any polite suggestions other than get solar panels

Cheers

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sharon,

The Honda EU10i (1000w) is very quite although could still annoy some people. I have a cover for mine which helps silence it more. I always wait until everyone has gone off the cl before using it to top up the battery. We use an inverter to run the TV from the van battery.

Great generators but expensive. I also use it to power the main items in the house when we have a power cut.

Hope this helps

Jim

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sharon,

The Honda EU10i (1000w) is very quite although could still annoy some people. I have a cover for mine which helps silence it more. I always wait until everyone has gone off the cl before using it to top up the battery. We use an inverter to run the TV from the van battery.

Great generators but expensive. I also use it to power the main items in the house when we have a power cut.

Hope this helps

Jim
OOPS meant quiet!

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sharon,

Hope this helps

Jim
Thanks for that ...I dont want to annoy anyone on the various sites so a cover sounds ideal aswell .

regards Sharon

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that ...I dont want to annoy anyone on the various sites so a cover sounds ideal aswell .

regards Sharon
Yes got it from Brian Hughes generators. Its like a folding tent that flat packs. Bought it to keep the genny dry in case of rain but found it good for noise suppression.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Sharon,

There are sometimes genuine reasons for using a generator on a caravan site, but often there are alternatives that are far less costly, and a lot better for the environment and the neighbours.

Where there is no alternative, then it pays to go for one with an inverter output. This maintains the quality of the output and should avoid any power surges that might damage electrical equipment. Generators without inverter outputs can produce power surges.

Even the best generators still produce some noise that others may find annoying, and when you look at the efficiency you may want to think again. At best the small generators only convert between 6 to 10% of the fuel they use to useful electricity. When you consider that you are paying premium price for the fuel, and the cost of the generator in the first place, some of the other alternatives can look attractive.

If you only want the generator to watch TV, then how about a second battery that is trickle charged throughout the day by a solar panel. Start the holiday with a fully charged battery, use it during the evenings at say 3Amps for 4 hours = 12Ah. Trickle charge the battery with a 12W solar panel for 10Hours during the days, and the battery will not be quite fully recharged but will supply the TV for 14 days with no problem. - Quieter and cheaper than a quality generator.

Or still using s second battery, carry it in the car ( with proper restraints and ventilated housing) and charge it whilst travelling during the day, and swap it either with the caravans main battery or provide seperate connections for the 12V TV.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hello Sharon,

There are sometimes genuine reasons for using a generator on a caravan site, but often there are alternatives that are far less costly, and a lot better for the environment and the neighbours.

Where there is no alternative, then it pays to go for one with an inverter output. This maintains the quality of the output and should avoid any power surges that might damage electrical equipment. Generators without inverter outputs can produce power surges.

Even the best generators still produce some noise that others may find annoying, and when you look at the efficiency you may want to think again. At best the small generators only convert between 6 to 10% of the fuel they use to useful electricity. When you consider that you are paying premium price for the fuel, and the cost of the generator in the first place, some of the other alternatives can look attractive.

If you only want the generator to watch TV, then how about a second battery that is trickle charged throughout the day by a solar panel. Start the holiday with a fully charged battery, use it during the evenings at say 3Amps for 4 hours = 12Ah. Trickle charge the battery with a 12W solar panel for 10Hours during the days, and the battery will not be quite fully recharged but will supply the TV for 14 days with no problem. - Quieter and cheaper than a quality generator.

Or still using s second battery, carry it in the car ( with proper restraints and ventilated housing) and charge it whilst travelling during the day, and swap it either with the caravans main battery or provide seperate connections for the 12V TV.
If using approx 3 amps an hour for the tv this would presume that the tv is 36 watts but as the battery discharges the ampage increases.

Figures for a 12w solar panel are only approx 680ms charging per hour per performance (in direct sunlight) in 10 hrs this at best would only return 6-7 amps not enough to return the usage back into the battery.

Invest in a 40w panel,will last for years with no running costs,some companies do a kit with panel,regulator and bag.

Cheaper than a quality generator

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
If using approx 3 amps an hour for the tv this would presume that the tv is 36 watts but as the battery discharges the ampage increases.

Figures for a 12w solar panel are only approx 680ms charging per hour per performance (in direct sunlight) in 10 hrs this at best would only return 6-7 amps not enough to return the usage back into the battery.

Invest in a 40w panel,will last for years with no running costs,some companies do a kit with panel,regulator and bag.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Hello Mikey

I am confused by your statement that as the 'battery discharges the current increases' That is not the case into a resistive load, As the terminal voltage drops the current also drops, It would only increase if the appliance has an active power monitoring system, that uses more current to support a regulated power rail when the input voltage drops.

You are correct about the solar panel, and I was aware of the mismatch in power used and replaced. That is a condition that is sustainable for a number of days with the battery support. Larger solar panels are both more expensive,adn physically larger and thus more difficult to position and secure against theft etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts