Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Currently parked up at Sutton Scotney services southbound, on our way for a week long stay at Back of Beyond.
Will post a link to photos as the week progresses.

So far, I haven’t broken anything on the caravan or car….. still, it’s early days🤣🤣🤣

Captain Chaos

Reactions: Thebossandhermaster
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Currently parked up at Sutton Scotney services southbound, on our way for a week long stay at Back of Beyond.
Will post a link to photos as the week progresses.

So far, I haven’t broken anything on the caravan or car….. still, it’s early days🤣🤣🤣

Captain Chaos
Have a nice break look forward to your photos (y)

Reactions: Steve1962
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Breaking news….
Captain Chaos has fixed something and no one got hurt!!!
Having arrived on site, got set up and demolished scampi and chips, it was discovered that the Thetford toilet would not flush…. Consult You Tube and find out that perhaps it may be the pump impeller needs a gentle rotation or two, and a bit of silicone spray, and this may just get it working again.
So, after borrowing a set of small screwdrivers from the chap on the pitch next to me, I took the top off the toilet button, undid the 2 screws hold the pump in place and managed to wiggle it free to gain access.
A few persuasive rotations and spray with silicone ( I had some left in a can after using it on the window seals the day before we left), and voila, it’s working again.

So, anyone needing their house rewired or new central heating system put in…..
Don’t ask me 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Captain Chaos

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A handy tip, don't let people know you can fix things, one Fellow Woosie,( who lives in Scotland) before I had even set up came over and said can you help this chap, he can't get his aerial up.
Got it sorted but at least I got a beer from him.

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
For those of you who may be interested, the VW camper in the photos is a South African built VW JURGEN, the owner spent 10 month restoring it using some original spares that came with it.
It has a 2.0ltr VW twin carb petrol engine, and solar power for off grid use.
It race to a heady 55mph.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For those of you who may be interested, the VW camper in the photos is a South African built VW JURGEN, the owner spent 10 month restoring it using some original spares that came with it.
It has a 2.0ltr VW twin carb petrol engine, and solar power for off grid use.
It race to a heady 55mph.
I am quite familiar with the Jurgens caravans as it was always our ambition to own one. Sadly we never got past our trailer pop up caravan. CI Caravans were manufactured about a mile from where we lived in Pinetown SA.

I think the one in the picture is a seventies model and probably the 1600 engine as they were gutless and speaking from experience. Our friend had the normal Kombi fitted with a V6 engine and he towed his caravan with it. The radiator was mounted on the front. It was a very popular conversion.

BTW love the Vespa scooters. Mine had the headlight mounted on the front mudguard.

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
I am quite familiar with the Jurgens caravans as it was always our ambition to own one. Sadly we never got past our trailer pop up caravan. CI Caravans were manufactured about a mile from where we lived in Pinetown SA.

I think the one in the picture is a seventies model and probably the 1600 engine as they were gutless and speaking from experience. Our friend had the normal Kombi fitted with a V6 engine and he towed his caravan with it. The radiator was mounted on the front. It was a very popular conversion.

BTW love the Vespa scooters. Mine had the headlight mounted on the front mudguard.
Thanks
The scooters were photographed in Lymington today, as we drove through the New Forest to take a look before partaking of a late lunch at a pub just outside Lyndhurst - food was delicious.
We also stopped briefly in Brockenhurst, resplendent in the four legged presence of donkeys and quite a few cows, some of which ran down the road past us as we pulled away from our parking spot - quite a sight to see, and there was no stopping those beasties!!
Now back at base, soaking up the late afternoon sun and reading the Daniel Lewis book : SAS , Band of Brothers.

Steve

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks
The scooters were photographed in Lymington today, as we drove through the New Forest to take a look before partaking of a late lunch at a pub just outside Lyndhurst - food was delicious.
We also stopped briefly in Brockenhurst, resplendent in the four legged presence of donkeys and quite a few cows, some of which ran down the road past us as we pulled away from our parking spot - quite a sight to see, and there was no stopping those beasties!!
Now back at base, soaking up the late afternoon sun and reading the Daniel Lewis book : SAS , Band of Brothers.

Steve
If you like those books there’s one by Mark (splash) Aston an SAS operative and his experience in the Falklands. I recently went to a local church rooms to a presentation by Mark Aston he does it for RBL funds. An absolutely riveting presentation. Followed by an authentic army curry.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Steve
If you like books on SAS then read up on the unknown Rhodesian SAS i.e. SAS Action in Africa by Michael Graham. There are quite a number of books on the Rhodesian SAS available on Kindle.
Another good read is "The elite; story of the Rhodesian SAS"

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
In my wanderings I oft peruse book shops and leaf through the opening pages of old books to see if there are any inscriptions, and occasionally I find them…. Just added a photo of one such inscription, hand written in ink in 1874…. Amazing…. I wonder about the lives these people have led and what stories unfold….

Steve

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Been out and about as usual, and have uploaded some more photos including some of Poole harbour and the old town, old Lifeboat museum followed by a drive out to Wareham where I nipped into the only saxon church in Dorset, which has an interesting past, including an effigy of a certain Mr T. E. Lawrence.

Steve

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Been out and about as usual, and have uploaded some more photos including some of Poole harbour and the old town, old Lifeboat museum followed by a drive out to Wareham where I nipped into the only saxon church in Dorset, which has an interesting past, including an effigy of a certain Mr T. E. Lawrence.

Steve
Monkey World near Poole is also worth a visit and a trip to Weymouth harbour. Also near Weymouth are beautiful botanic gardens and well worth a walk around. We took a trip by boat along the Jurassic coast leaving from Poole and enjoy the trip.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Steve
You have been blessed with nice weather for your break. For interest what is the cost of the photo hosting site that you use.

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
So we are off back home tomorrow morning after a nice week away with the caravan.
Today we visited Beaulieu, and took in the village, motor museum and abbey, before heading out to Buckler’s Hard ( 3 ships built for Nelson which were involved in the Battle of Trafalgar were built here, along with many others).

Uploaded quite a lot of photos today which might be of interest to those who are motor enthusiasts.

Back to the grindstone on Monday

Steve

Reactions: Dustydog
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Did some research on the fella who wrote the letter to his parents in Ohio in WW2, Walter Breen….( photo taken in Brockenhurst)…

He was born in 1914 in Ohio, his father was also Walter and his mother was called Marie, he left school in fourth year. He was working as a security guard when he got called up for service in February 1943. He enlisted at Cleveland Ohio and signed up for the duration of the war or other emergency plus 6 months. He served in the 26th Special Service Company who's job was to entertain the troops. The 26th were based in Crownhill, Plymouth during the war. No details on his death Im afraid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts