Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just been away for a 7 night stopover at Ferry Meadows, ( arrived home yesterday)1st time out van proved it was watertight, very heavy rain showers nearally all week, Infact 200 pitches were cancelled due to the very heavy waterlogged pitches only hardstandings available.More heavy showers forcast for this week
Best to ring in advance to see whether there are dry pitches available. best of luck.

Royston

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Here down in Cornwall we had torrential rain on Monday night. Behind our caravan is a small river although it's only the size of a stream. It was a bit bigger in the morning when I took the dogs. It was more the size of a river after the rain and was like a torrent. After last nights deluge I was wondering if the river would burst it's bank and the few vans on here float off to the corner of the site.
When you see the water, which will reach the sea in 3 miles, you think what a waste when we are supposedly in a drought.
Engineers say that to fix the drought problem and move water around the country it would cost about 2 billion. The government says we can't afford it yet it gives billions to the EU plus 10 billion to the IMF. Another 14 billion in handouts to countries like India, China and even Argentina. The mind boggles especially when you consider how it would give work to many thousands of people. Again though, the government would probably tender it out and give the contract to a foreign country who would then import their own workers.
It's a mad world but I think Britain is in the asylum for a long time yet.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all.
Trust LB to turn a comment about the weather into a slant at the EU in two paraghaphs well done mate, not that I dont agree mind you.
but a least he's in Conrwall
smiley-cool.gif
here it is absolutely tipping it down and in 30 mins I will be setting off to work to do 7and half hours in a set of waterproofs collecting the trollies that the kind shoppers leave anywhere just because it's raining
smiley-surprised.gif
. lifes great int tit.

ps. how that changing a comment about the EU to one about poor working conditition in one paraghaph,

colin

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Here down in Cornwall we had torrential rain on Monday night. Behind our caravan is a small river although it's only the size of a stream. It was a bit bigger in the morning when I took the dogs. It was more the size of a river after the rain and was like a torrent. After last nights deluge I was wondering if the river would burst it's bank and the few vans on here float off to the corner of the site.
When you see the water, which will reach the sea in 3 miles, you think what a waste when we are supposedly in a drought.
Engineers say that to fix the drought problem and move water around the country it would cost about 2 billion. The government says we can't afford it yet it gives billions to the EU plus 10 billion to the IMF. Another 14 billion in handouts to countries like India, China and even Argentina. The mind boggles especially when you consider how it would give work to many thousands of people. Again though, the government would probably tender it out and give the contract to a foreign country who would then import their own workers.
It's a mad world but I think Britain is in the asylum for a long time yet.

Would it be OK then to pump this flood water into a new reservoir to be built in the area that your manor house is LB? Probably not and not many other people want to be displaced or have an enlarged reservoir near them either.
It's not the fact that we cannot necessarily use the water that falls today, it is storing it in suitably sized new reservoirs in the water guzzling south of the country where the majority of the population live. Water is a heavy commodity and leakage will always happen given the topography within the UK. Just in the North West alone there are 40,000 kms of public water supply pipelines, so you can see how big a task it is to not only locate leaks but to also fix them with significant infrastructure in place within our urban areas.
It's a argument that will go on and on, leakage control, privatisation, shareholders dividends etc. but at the end of the day it is us as consumers that waste considerable amounts of water on a daily basis and hence demand management, water efficiency has a much bigger (and cost effective) role to play in helping to solve our current water problems.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When you see the cost of desalination even when using reverse osmosis you would quake at the rise in your bills, it is incredibly power hungry. Reservoirs are a part of any long term solution but one thing UK has lacked for too many years is a strategic vision for infrastructure of all types. Thank heavens for our Victorian and Edwardian ancestors!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello other clive
Yes it would be very expensive particularly now, but following Lord Bs point,it is the government's choice as to how our money is invested,sadly they seem to have their priorities, which differ from Lord B,and me. Our history will show how various governments of whatever political persuasion, failed to invest in this country,when the opportunity was there.Think North Sea Oil, I am old enough to remember the promises made that we would be self sufficient......Think manufacturing as in cars and motorcycles.......Think Railways...
Gas... Water.......Electricity.....all missed opportunities. It just seems to me that we are no longer independent as a country and when you rely on other countries for,oil,water, electricity and gas you become beholden to them,the recent volatility of fuel, gas and electric prices mean we are no longer in control of our own supplies.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
woodsieboy said:
It just seems to me that we are no longer independent as a country and when you rely on other countries for,oil,water, electricity and gas you become beholden to them,the recent volatility of fuel, gas and electric prices mean we are no longer in control of our own supplies.

The madness lies in having imported and paid for oil and gas from foreign powers it is then owned by foreign powers because they run our utility companies. Is it any wonder that these same companies don't give a rats ass how much we pay and are bleeding us dry?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Big S said:
Would it be OK then to pump this flood water into a new reservoir to be built in the area that your manor house is LB? Probably not and not many other people want to be displaced or have an enlarged reservoir near them either.

Before we jump to conclusions by building more reservoirs, something I didn't proposition, could we use the system of moving water about, which I mentioned, just to keep the 3/4 empty reservoirs we already have topped up. If this happens then maybe there wont be a need to build any more. A bit like pulling the chain in your khazai.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Come on LB I have seen the latest edition to your fleet of transport the Royal Barge, complete with your serfs rowing what are you worried about weather wise, not sure who payed for it mind.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Royston
Dont worry Gloriana has been paid for by private donations and is a charity status project. Lord Sterling ex head of P&O was a leading player in the project so as a taxpayer you can rest easy.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Trying to educate people to use water sensibly and economically is a non starter. It's a bit like trying to educate anti-social dog owners to pick up their pooches dumps.
A chap on the site I'm on has a large twin axle motorhome. He hadn't arrived long before he had the bucket and shampoo out and connected a hose to the water point and was washing it. Every time they came back after going out in their towcar they washed that. I would have initially said he suffered with OCPD but that couldn't be because when he was in the shower block he didn't bother washing his hands after a piddle. See, not all bad. At least he saved some water
smiley-laughing.gif

A couple of summers ago I was on a site and the motorhomer washed his vehicle first thing in the morning without fail, even the roof, yet in the two weeks we were there we never saw them move.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
i fully endorse what L B says about the goverment in the way it lavishes money on countries who are richer than us , but coming back from Australia last month and as we came into land at heathrow you pass over the large reserviors which were full to the brim , originally i came from the Putney area of London , and back in the 60s coming from Barnes towards Hammersmith bridge there were 4 large reserviors there , which they drained there is now houses on there , also between Hammersmith and putney bridge there more large reservoirs called Barn Elms i have since heard they no longer exist , so rather than building more reservoirs they are closing them down , we dig out thousands of tons of gravel and sand every year , there are hundreds of gravel pits around the London area , lots along the M3 , so why would you want to pipe water from another area , so now we have Thames barririer close it and hold the water back , also we have the fen drains which were built to drain the land , stop them draining , in the 2 months we were in OZZ where all the beaches have showers on them i never once saw any water restrictions

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
The desalination plant in east London is about to kick in.In cost 270m to build,but is so expensive to run nthey are frightened to use because of the cost .At least now they know how the pensioners feel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts