Ravenglass site

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, has anyone been to Ravenglass site? Going to head over there at the end of the month and just wondering if there is much to do and see and if there are any good local pubs to visit?

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
Hi We went to Ravenglass last summer. The wardens are very friendly and helpful and the site was ok ( didnt have a playarea so the children used to play around the units ) Their is not much to do in Ravenglass, has just a couple of pubs we used the Ratty Arms and it is a nice walk acorss the estuary. Personally we would not go back as we found it very remote and the journey was a good hours drive once you get off the M6.

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Visited in 2010, loved it. Great welcome and faciliies excellent, late in the season but on site shop still had the basics.
A couple of pubs in the village, didn't visit but one Ratty Arms ? was highly recomended.
We enjoyed a walk to Muncaster Castle, owl sanctuary to us was a real highlight, so much so we now sponsor one of the residents.
If you have a dog that is easily spooked there is a gunnery range which occasionaly lets off some heavy shells, certainly didn't bother us.
On out list of places to re-visit.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Agree with what has been said. Good site, good location, the pub in the village is good and the hotel has a very good menu. Was there five years ago February half term and we were sat out side the pub, in the sun, in a t-shirt, very warm, which was unusual for that time of year and also dry, and err yes had to make the best of it with another pint or two.

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
We were there in July last year. Weather was mixed and the rain can make the pitch muddy, gravel paths elsewhere so not too bad. Many trees on site so satallite reception not good. Children on cycles were a problem, racing around the site road and skidding causing gravel to fly everywhere. Nearest large supermarket is Whitehaven (about 10 miles I think) make it a day visit to the town if you need shopping. Pleasent walks around Ravenglass (shortcut through woods to avoid pathless road) or walk to the Roman ruins down the lane. Beach at Seascale or St Bees if you have kids (nice chippy at Seascale). Don't go there without a trip on the Ratty, I've been visiting Cumberland/Cumbria for nigh on fifty years and take a ride each time, the scenery is superb and if you have an interest in railways/steam locos then it's doubly worth it.

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi just a quick post for anyone been looking at this post, me and my fiance have been to ravenglass and WOW its beautiful!! i cnt waitto go back. We had a fab time and the wardens are just brill. They are really nice people. Not many on the site when were there but that made it even better as it was lovely and quiet.

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Mr Bell,
Glad you enjoyed, it's nice to know when you recomend a site that it goes well.
Obviously we don't all go for the same things so especially good when it works out well.

TRENDING THREADS