Re windows in 2003 van- advice

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Have been looking at a Eldiss leven 2003 special edition £6500 5 berth , nice clean van , notice the three windows at the front have condensation, i think the windows have blown, also notice a smell in the bathroom. the seller said the smell would disappear once we started to use the toilet and put the chemicals in! Is it worth it? or should i walk away?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Condensation between the double glazing is not uncommon and to get rid of it the plastic bungs from the glazed unit need to be removed and the gentle warming of a hair dryer up and down the window will get rid of the problem.

The toilet smell is more of a problem, if the smell would disappear with the addition of toilet chemical additives then you have to wonder why the seller hasn't done this before offering the caravan for sale?

Beware - it might be damp.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Window condensation is a common problem, but as has been said, it is easy to get rid of, and may even go on its own accord once the van get sunlight on the windows for a few hours.

Caravan windows, whilst double glazed, are not sealed units such as you get in domestic use.

The smell in the toilet is worrying.

A clean toilet should not smell, and if it is the toilet, why is the seller allowing it to be sold in that condition?

Have a really good close look at the walls, window surrounds, corners etc for any sign of wetness, or bubbling wallboard, or missing sealant around fixings and fittings.

I would try and find a local mobile engineer to give the van a damp check for you.

Ask for servicing details, check tyre age and condition and get the seller to show you every single item in working order, get them to show you the fridge lights on gas and works on electric, get them to light the fire and test the blow air, and also the water heater, pump, taps etc.

If they cannot show you a recent service proof, be very careful an ddo not commit until you are fully satisfied.

See what reaction you get to suggesting a mobile engineer does a pre purchase inspection..if they say no, say good bye

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
thanks again for advice, i did wonder the same , why didnt he at least air the toilet? i have decided to walk away from this one. i'll just keep looking thanks again really appreciated

G

Good luck with your search. Just bear in mind that many vans, once they are over a certain age tend to get stuck on forecourts, or even worse, at the back. They often look a bit unkempt and usually unwashed. However, this is often due to the fact that dealers show little attention until a sale is close to hand. Then they swing into action and the van is cleaned etc.

So my point is, do not be put off by superficial dirt and possible broken bits. If the van itself looks sound, and smells fine, and the layout is what you want, then look at the bits that need fixing and decide if they are 5 minute, 10 minute or major operations. Discuss with the dealer and if he/she seems helpful and willing to fix all, or discount significantly, then get serious. Most dealers will certainly valet any van before sale, and the difference can be remarkable.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
It wasnt a dealer who was selling. it was a private sale. call it a gut feeling, we rushed in when we bought our first van and i have decided to walk away from this one, i will just keep an eye out for the right van, thanks for all the advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts