Real World MPG

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What's wrong with Lutz comment? Hardly boring, more so it puts in perspective the true average cost of 10k miles per annum.

When I was working I did 30k pa but the company paid the fuel and provided the car. If I had to do 40k pa in my own car on business at my own expense I would think someone somewhere was extracting the urine, like the Boss?

To keep Ray happy, back to the original topic:-

My Sorento returns 32mpg solo

Motorway towing at 55mph 26 /28 mpg

A roads 22/24mpg

All tugging a heavy ta.

Not bad really is it?

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
What's wrong with Lutz comment? Hardly boring, more so it puts in perspective the true average cost of 10k miles per annum.

When I was working I did 30k pa but the company paid the fuel and provided the car. If I had to do 40k pa in my own car on business at my own expense I would think someone somewhere was extracting the urine, like the Boss?

A roads 22/24mpg

All tugging a heavy ta.

Not bad really is it?

Cheers

Dustydog
Dusty

The topic, is about real world MPG, NOT the real cost of motoring.

Another boring post of topic.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

A roads 22/24mpg

All tugging a heavy ta.

Not bad really is it?

Cheers

Dustydog
Ray

Not much difference really because at the end of the day will mpg really affect a person's decision to buy a car?

Real World MPG as we all know is in the main vastly different to the manufacturers figures which done in controlled laboratory conditions etc.

Reality for me is we need a heavy car to tow our ta. Overall I'm very happy with my Sorie which is nearly 4 years old .

Cheers

Dustydog

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to ofend you Ray, actually I was expressing my opinion.

Sorry it's different to yours mate but there you go.

Isn't hijacking taking over by the way?

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I run a ML 320 and get around the 22 mark towing and 32 normal days.

I only do around 10,000 miles a year,but have seriously been looking at a big petroled 4x4.

The reason is a report about the discounts on these is in the region of 40% off list price if i only get 15 mpg i do do that many miles to worry too mcuh.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
There are really too many variables for me to give a real world MPG. I reset my trip computer when I fill up and do more or less the same work and pleasure trips per tank of fuel but get mpg figures of up to 4mpg difference each time. I put this down to traffic conditions, roadworks, weather conditions etc, etc. Sure, I can drive like a saint with a feather foot, read the road and anticipate along with the rest of them but round town other drivers actions make this meaningless. Therefore I fill my tank when it needs it and don't worry too much about MPG, real world or otherwise.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm with Lutz on this one. A neighbour has a fairly new euro-box, and a Discovery V8 on LPG. He claims that the eurobox averages 58mpg, cos it showed that once on the computer. His Disco, like my Range Rover, does about 12mpg, but as gas is around 50% of diesel, money-wise, that equates to 24mpg. Now, both of our towcars are elderly, bought secondhand, very cheaply. His little car was bought new, and is now about four years old. The towcars have lost vitually nothing over five years, but the little 'un has lost over

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
We had a 2.5 X-TRAIL auto and pulling 1350 klg we got 16-19 mpg towing to Cornwall and back. Lovely car but could not accept such low consumption when towing and even solo it only done 22 mpg. So changed to SKODA, less tax average 42 mpg. So in my case it was important to know mpg.

Sep 11, 2007
Visit site
We had a 2.5 X-TRAIL auto and pulling 1350 klg we got 16-19 mpg towing to Cornwall and back. Lovely car but could not accept such low consumption when towing and even solo it only done 22 mpg. So changed to SKODA, less tax average 42 mpg. So in my case it was important to know mpg.
we all buy cars for different reasons. Some buy for the badge, some for the hopefully low depreciation but then come time to change forget the promises made by the salesman. Some for the good MPG but rarely ever achieve it. Some for the 0 to 60 times but never check it against the stop watch. Some for the low road tax then find the government changes the system. Some for the low insurance but some how it always seems to go up.Perhaps if it wasn't for the caravan I wouldn't need a car. Such is life!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Information on real world mpg is of use to people. Within the next 12 months I will be going down to one car which will do about 18k per year including 6k towing. I like the current Sorento auto but its mpg is not good enough when I go to 1 car especially as fuel price will surely rise again. With our prsent 2 cars I get an average of 40mpg and that is what I would like to achieve when I go down to one car. However the real choice will be between 4x4 manual or 2wd estate auto. I like the auto box but with most 4x4s the mpg suffers. So a 2wd estate auto is an option, but then winter vanning on CLs would be more limited. Getting a smaller van would not go down well with my wife, and that is not an option.Oh it is difficult being a vanner!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What's your MTPLM Clive?

Cheers

Dustydog
I tow a Bailey S5 Bordeaux with a weight upgarde to 1400kg. We carry heavy stuff such as food boxes, awning etc in the Sorento behind the front seats. Van is normally around 1350kg but on longer 3-4 week trips it goes up to near max. When the van needs changing I am unlikley to go for anything heavier.

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

To answer the post first, Ford S-Max 2Lt Titanium 07 140bhp,

40-44mpg around town,50ish on a run solo, towing 1460kg 28mpg.

We're very pleased with this, and as it's only done 13,000 miles hope it will improve a bit.!

To answer Lutz's observation the reason we get more excited about fuel consumption is because we "think " we can have some control over this, were'as we know that most of the fixed costs are just that.

Taking delivery of our new van next week , yippee!! which is a bit lighter, so hope we might get over the magic 30mpg

Happy caravanning,

Greg n Lyn..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am hijacking the thread,:--

Fly me to the Bahamas! But do it in a plane that does at least 55miles to the gallon per passenger.

Real world mpg,s? They are of course not scientifically derived, but they may give someone an idea of how a vehicle will perform - and it is interesting to to see how much they differ from the manufactures published figures.

But I ask my self why do you want to know this sort of information, and I do conclude there are probably three reasons.

Firstly to compare you car and see how close you are to others,

Secondly to see how well you can drive and improve the mpg

And thirdly costs and/or environmental concerns.

In general it usually come back to costs, so as Lutz and others have pointed out, fuel is only one of the costs of running a car.

If this posting does not conform to your opinions or does not interest you don't read it!

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site

Fly me to the Bahamas! But do it in a plane that does at least 55miles to the gallon per passenger.

Real world mpg,s? They are of course not scientifically derived, but they may give someone an idea of how a vehicle will perform - and it is interesting to to see how much they differ from the manufactures published figures.

But I ask my self why do you want to know this sort of information, and I do conclude there are probably three reasons.

In general it usually come back to costs, so as Lutz and others have pointed out, fuel is only one of the costs of running a car.

If this posting does not conform to your opinions or does not interest you don't read it!
Too late John, you should have put the last line as the first line. lol.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Hello Chris,

I'll bet your a compulsive reader, who reads a book cover to cover, Well I do to,o but I tend to miss out the bit in the middle - its much quicker that way!-)

It reminds me of what one of my brothers-in-law told me, he was in the Royal Navy, and was going for the next step up the promotions ladder. He was asked to sit an exam, and the candidates were given the paper, and told they had 90 mins to complete it.

The front carried a set of instructions, which told them to read the whole paper before starting to answer any questions. He did this and the last question was:- Ignore all previous instructions and get up and leave the room - report to the First Officer of the training school.

To the bemusment of other candidates some including my B-I-L simply got up and went! He got his promotion.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello Chris,

I'll bet your a compulsive reader, who reads a book cover to cover, Well I do to,o but I tend to miss out the bit in the middle - its much quicker that way!-)

It reminds me of what one of my brothers-in-law told me, he was in the Royal Navy, and was going for the next step up the promotions ladder. He was asked to sit an exam, and the candidates were given the paper, and told they had 90 mins to complete it.

The front carried a set of instructions, which told them to read the whole paper before starting to answer any questions. He did this and the last question was:- Ignore all previous instructions and get up and leave the room - report to the First Officer of the training school.

To the bemusment of other candidates some including my B-I-L simply got up and went! He got his promotion.
This is now getting boring. What is so wrong with anyone trying to inform their decisions with some additional information. Given an equality of characteristics then adding mpg/fuel costs to the equation will aid people in making a choice. I think most people who run cars are well aware that they have to fund a number of other costs some of which they can influence, some they cannot.

My next car will be decided on towing capability, running costs including fuel and BADGE on the front! Depreciation does not bother me as I intend to keep it for 10 years and buy it at 2 years old.

Sep 24, 2006
Visit site
I'm a brim to brim mpg measurer myself and average only 9-10k miles a year. the only longer distances I do are towing (about 2,500 /year) and the rest is mainly urban.

Towing (avge. 55mph - 28 mpg)

Solo - Mostly Urban - 38 mpg

on the odd run to Liverpool (from Leicester) its well into the 40s.

Vehicle is CR-V i-ctdi (140PS) on a 56 plate (spare on back door).

I also buy at 12-24 months and keep until you can sweep it off the drive. Friends of mine have had a CR-V for 7 years and the only costs have been servicing and a set of tyres.

I'm looking for a similar pattern on mine!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
FAO Other Clive,

I think you may have got the wrong end of my stick, I do agree that other people experience is useful, MPG figures in my own decisions on car buying, as you say along with other characteristics such as towing ability. Ultimately it all comes down to what I can afford to spend on achieving my aims.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
No body on this thread was moarning about it, some were posting interesting feedback, others like you self were atempting to poke fun, but only making them selfs appear ignorant.

AT no time were the debate about real world costs, as in cost per mile, if i want that imfo i only have to pick up my whatcar mag.

You would have to be completly stupid if you havent noticed your wonderfull new car has just lost

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Well said Ray!

I made a similar posting about 4 years ago, and all replies were in accord with the question, many thanking me for the information on the mpg figures they and others were obtaining from their tugs.

There does seem to be an awful lot of sniping and sniedy comments these days on the Forum. If some people don't care about their mpg, then good luck to 'em, I wish I was that loaded that I could afford to ignore such costs - but I can't. I'm going to change my car in November, as it's PCP contract finishes then and mpg will be a factor in my choice.

Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts