Recarpet

Dec 11, 2021
Visit site
Hi . I am in the process of starting to repair a delaminated floor area to a 2004 Coachman Almara. I have to decide how to remove the carpet area first. It seems the most practical way is to cut out the central floor area carpet rather than try to lift up the fixed furniture and slide the carpet underneath. The attached photo shows the extent of the project.(the open floor area to the screw driver) I have read about the delamination repair method in other posts. Cheers.

Attachments

• Floor.jpg
    Floor.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I see two choices. A sharp knife and remove the centre piece of carpet.

Or.

Remove the centre then remove the screws from the bottom of the frame and pull the surplus out. After this, the frame may want packing with narrow lengths of ply.

I would do the second option, though more work. makes fixing the delamination easier if you need to widen the area.

Loose-fit carpets can then be fitted on completion.

Best of luck.

John

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
On one of our caravans it was done inside after the carpet was removed and our caravan engineer would drill the holes in the affected area and fill the holes with adhesive from our repair kit .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Always from the inside . If the bottom has gone it will be in a bad state. We change our carpets every 2/3 years using off cuts and cutting fitting ourselves. Not difficult and you can get way up market carpets beyond your dreams 👏

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Not sure of the cost but carpet outlets may be able to bind the edges for you so you could have loose fit carpets in sections in place of the older style ‘tucked under’ versions. Presuming the current set up has one piece carpet fitted prior to the furniture and should be easy to replace if the furniture is simply screwed through it, in which case a carpet remnant may be a cheap and replaceable item if it needs redoing in the future.

Dec 11, 2021
Visit site
So an update for all. I cut the carpet at the edges that follow the fixed cabinet stuctures in a way that the carpet could be rolled back. I drilled about 100 holes 40 mm deep at 100 mm centres in triangle pattern. . The resin used was a product called East 221 Resin from Polymer Group in NZ as the UK product not available here. It is a 2 part mix which is exothermic on mixing. but does not expand. Blocked the holes with dowls. I cleaned up the excess as best I could ,kerosene seemed suitable to wipe down excess resin. Then a plastic sheet over the area with ply wood and weights on top of that.
Next day I sanded down with an orbital sander 80 grade sandpaper, A messy job with lots of dust so be carefull with that. Mistakes I made were probably two many holes.Doing it myself without another person to put in the dowls. Making the dowls too long so needing a multitool to cut off in situ. The more one can wipe away the less to sand away. Very pleased with the outcome. About 4 L of resin mixed used.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts