Recently Joined (well - it makes a change from "New" (: -)

Feb 17, 2024
Visit site
Hello All .

Thanks for letting me join.

We bought our first caravan 38 years ago (a 22ft Sprite) - to live in while we were building our house (nearly finished!). I didn't enjoy the few times I towed it.

We bought or second caravan in 2016 (a 2000 Eriba Troll 530 GT) which lives in Portugal - where we spend 2 x 90 days each year. Pre the B-word we used to over-winter from October to April and really miss doing so.

We've just bought a2008 Ace Jubilee Ambassador - which is also going to stay in Portugal (looking forward to going on the Plymouth to Santander Ferry next month - for the first time).

For the last 8 years we've used a Vango Galli Low awning, alongside the Eriba, as a kitchen/store. But a really bad storm in November (which we got away with but which trashed a lot of awnings on the campsite) made us think about replacing it with a second (cheapish) caravan.

There are other advantages to replacing the awning with a second caravan - time being the main one and effort the second. Now that we go back and forth twice a year we spend a considerable amount of time (and effort) erecting and dismantling the awning (the latter we can only do in dry weather).

Because we tow with a Transit Mk 7 Tourneo ) which I converted into a PopTop campervan we've been members of a few Motorhome forums (and the Eriba one) for a number of years. I haven't been sin-binned - yet . :)

Looking forward to pestering you with lots of questions.

Cheers Mike

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum, and thanks forvtye back. An interesting read. How long do you have to be away from Portugal before your second 90 days can be used. A quick couple of cheap flights rather than the ferry or long drive?

Feb 17, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum, and thanks forvtye back. An interesting read. How long do you have to be away from Portugal before your second 90 days can be used. A quick couple of cheap flights rather than the ferry or long drive?
90 days there and 90 days out of Schengen. But you can't leave a vehicle in Portugal for longer without "matriculating " (registering) it. And we use the Transit in the UK - e.g. touring the West of Ireland last years.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
90 days there and 90 days out of Schengen. But you can't leave a vehicle in Portugal for longer without "matriculating " (registering) it. And we use the Transit in the UK - e.g. touring the West of Ireland last years.
Wow that really does put a hole in a winters stay in the warmth.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Mike Welcome to the forum any questions you will receive a answer they are a great bunch on here hope you continue with your adventures

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Mike. I am sure with your years of experience you too will be able to answer questions here😉😉🤪

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Not sure about the trip to Santander in Winter. We have been across four times in Summer and only once have we had good weather, the rest had bad storms. The ship is nice though and the food good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts