RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A GOOD CARAVAN DEALER IN CHESTERFIELD/DERBY

Nov 5, 2007
Visit site
hello,having just moved to the chesterfield area can anyone recommend a good caravan dealer in the area.i have recently sold my bailey caravan and am looking to purchase either new or second hand.also will need to get it serviced at the place of purchase

thanks in advance of your reply"s

dave

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
We drove up to buy a secondhand van from them that we had seen on the internet. Requested few minor repairs and new bits where others were worn/rusty and this was agreed for the deal to be done.

The next week we towed our 2004 van 200 miles up there to part ex. When we arrived bits had been taken off another secondhand van and put into the one we were buying instead of the new things promised eg. new pump, new oven shelf as the other one was past redemption, new shelf in the fridge as the old one had sort of grey rust on it.

The motor mover packed up as they were trying to get out the van we were buying, they kept us waiting 2 hours and again, took a used printed circuit board from another van to get it going.

Had we not driven all that way, froze within an inch of our lives staying in the arrivals area at Clumber Park overnight, we would definitely have told them to stick it.

I felt they took advantage of the fact that we lived so far away and knew they didn't have to bother too much because it was unlikely we would go all the way back when issues arose, which they did.

At the Clumber Reception the warden had warned us against buying from them. Apparently they had fleeced his elderly father in law by giving him an inappropriately low price for his van. I like to make my own mind up about people but I wish I'd taken his advice in hindsight.

In my opinion they are just con merchants who screw the last penny out of deals as they can. The salesmen in general are young, cocky and have all the patter but are not interested in giving a decent service, they are more like predatory sharks.

Sorry if this offends but it is what it is.

Jun 20, 2007
Visit site
I agree with valerie as I have had dealing with robinsons as well.Acouple of years ago,my husband n I decided to take up vanning again.We went to Robbos and saw a lovely 2 berth 2nd hand van we both liked.It was duly paid for and arranged to be collected in 10 days hence.My husband being eager to show off the van to his son,took him to view it whilr it was still on the forcourt.To his horror,he found a crack in the side window which span almost the width of the window which wasnt there when we viewed the van.When he questioned the salesman,they denied any knowledge of it and said that it was there when we brought the van.After taking legal advice and solve a stalemate,we offered to pay half to the cost of a new window,to which they firmly declined and said I would be charged "storage" for each day the van remained uncollected.IWe threatened to dissolve the agreement to purchase the van but was told that if we did that it would cost us

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Why don`t you buy one privately,look in the camping and caravanning magazine,buying it this way they usually leave all the gear and awning with it,I recommend you buy from there house and check it over for damp and proof of ownership,you will end up with a better deal than going to a dealer.

Regards

Roy

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
As Brian has said try Kimberley caravans. I have had nothing but good from them and are now on my second Sterling caravan from them. I could comment upon the overall finish of Swift Caravans, but not about the excellent service from Kimberley who have put right a number of minor niggles without question.

Michael - Derbyshire

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts