Red Pennant v RAC European breakdown cover

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I've just got online quotes from the RAC (£85 inc 10% member discount) and CC Red Pennant (£178) for European breakdown cover. They both appear to provide a similar comprehensive service including repatriation for car, occupants and caravan but a big difference in cost.

Does anyone have good or bad experiences of using the RAC Euro cover?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I find Red Pennant far too expensive - yes it provides a service dedicated to caravanners, but at a seriously premium price.

I use Green Flag premium service through Saga for Europe vehicle cover plus annual travel insurance for personal, luggage and medical cover.

Much cheaper and I'm covered for 12 months.

On the 2 occasions when I needed a part for the van I just telephoned my dealer and they posted the part to me at the French campsite.

G

I kinda agree with JimF. With Red Pennant you get everything you will ever need and so can forge about it on the trip. With others they may be chaeaper but then you have to do all the work to make sure it is like for like.

Basicaly life is too short

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Glen's mate

This my salutory tale which I post in answer to your type of question!!

Red Pennant for me.

Two scenarios

2006. With Britannia Rescue. Car had major gearbox problems on the way home in Belgium. Despite loads of phone calls left for over 2 hours on dangerous area of Belgian autoroute contra-flow and pouring rain. We and caravan were taken to local caravan site & car to local dealer.

A few days later car supposedly repaired - "only an oil leak"??!! Lasted all of 10km and broke down again - same problem. Another long wait on hard should in growing dusk. A passing lorry wandered onto shoulder and smashed our warning triangle. We stood on the verge expecting a lorry to plough into the back of the outfit at any minute. Fortunately break down truck arrived. Back to campsite campsite and car to garage when declared major gearbox problem, as I had said in first place.

After a lot of argy-bargy with BR and their USELESS European agents we were given a hire car which we swapped at Calais for another and transported most of belongings home and another hire car at home. Car and caravan to follow later. Much later - after frequent cancellations car and caravan finally arrived home about 6 weeks later.

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi Glen's mate

This my salutory tale which I post in answer to your type of question!!

Red Pennant for me.

Two scenarios

2006. With Britannia Rescue. Car had major gearbox problems on the way home in Belgium. Despite loads of phone calls left for over 2 hours on dangerous area of Belgian autoroute contra-flow and pouring rain. We and caravan were taken to local caravan site & car to local dealer.

A few days later car supposedly repaired - "only an oil leak"??!! Lasted all of 10km and broke down again - same problem. Another long wait on hard should in growing dusk. A passing lorry wandered onto shoulder and smashed our warning triangle. We stood on the verge expecting a lorry to plough into the back of the outfit at any minute. Fortunately break down truck arrived. Back to campsite campsite and car to garage when declared major gearbox problem, as I had said in first place.

After a lot of argy-bargy with BR and their USELESS European agents we were given a hire car which we swapped at Calais for another and transported most of belongings home and another hire car at home. Car and caravan to follow later. Much later - after frequent cancellations car and caravan finally arrived home about 6 weeks later.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
If you need Red Pennant it's worth every penny. Our nearly 6 month old car broke down last year and they were fantastic, you do not deal with a huge call centre. Just hearing the same voice each time is reassuring. Well worth the price.

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Red Pennant is only expensive if you do not need to use it!

Broke foot and ankle whilst out jogging in Millau at beginning of 5 week holiday. Put into plaster - holiday over. Contacted RP to explain need of tow home. There were brilliant. We wanted to stay in France. They provided a chauffeur to drive our car to our second site in the Loire after a fortnight, then after three weeks flew over another driver to take us home with our car and caravan to our door. They kept us informed by mobile, were always available if needed and we had a dedicated person who dealt with everything. All expenditure paid out on our return injcluding all medical fees.

Would recommend them to anyone going abroad on holiday - fantastic service.

TAKE THE WORRY AWAY AND ENJOY.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Just a follow on enquiry, has anyone used their manufactuer breakdown services?, ours is with Skoda/RAC and they do bring the caravan home if needed but if the caravan has broke down then its a no

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Just a follow on enquiry, has anyone used their manufactuer breakdown services?, ours is with Skoda/RAC and they do bring the caravan home if needed but if the caravan has broke down then its a no

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts