Refilling gas bottles

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I have seen adapters that can be fitted to gas bottles so they can be filled at fuel stations. Just wondering if anyone has used these and has any views, good or bad.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The only bottles which can be legally filled in that manner are those designed for the job like Alugas and Gaslow.

Refilling bottles from the likes of Calor and Flogas is illegal and (sorry to be plain) utterly stupid despite what anyone else might say :)

See http://www.uklpg.org/uploads/DOC4E7749E87E660.pdf

Graham

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
If you find yourself on the Isle of Man and run out of gas you can take the bottle to the Manx Gas depot just outside Douglas and they will refill it for you. You stay outside a big high-fenced compound and a guy who knows what he is doing, wearing lots of safety kit can refill it. You can watch, from a distance. One safety issue that hasn't been mentioned is that liquid gas evaporates in air at a phenomenal rate and if you get your hand in the way whilst doing up / undoing a valve you can get very serious burns from the cold. That is if you survive the landing from your 200ft flight if it explodes. Another refillable make is Gas-it, who exhibit at shows, and Safe-fill bottles. Gas-it do a kit where you can fit a LPG socket on the side of your van which is allowable to be refilled at petrol stations, but the Safe-fill bottle has to be removed and filled as a stand-alone bottle.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The risk of burns from evaporating gas still exists to a minor extent if one is not careful when releasing the gun after filling a legal bottle. I use a pair of these rubber gloves when filling our Alugas system. Well worth two quid to be safe.

Graham

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I've no comments to make on this thread. I just want to thank you sir, for livening up an otherwise dull Sunday evenings TV.
I've got tears running down my face with a mental picture of a middle aged, wrapped around a calor bottle, flying across a holiday camp at a hundred miles an hour. Add to that the bemused look on the faces of holidaymakers.
Can you see why I'm laughing to much ?

PMM

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
We've had a Gaslow system fitted to our motorhome as we spend most of our time in mainland Europe. Will post as we use it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts