Remodelling a static?

Sep 24, 2023
Visit site
First post since I'm looking to finalise getting a static at the end of next week. It's a Delta Soleil 2010 and this is going to be my first static caravan purchase.

Now since I'm pretty much a noob at this I have some concerns and questions that the current owners or site couldn't really answer.

Can you remove the beds in statics fairly easily or are they linked to structural integrity?

The static has one double (or king but I think it's double) and a seperate room with two single beds. I want to rip out the single beds and turn it into an office so I can concentrate away from home.

I have a washer drier I'm wanting to move in. The current owner suggested putting it outside in a small locked shed, which is attached to the bottom of the caravan. My concern about this is the winter.... I used to be a plumber so piping isn't an issue for me.

That being said, isn't the water just going to freeze in there if its not constantly used? Is there any way around it? Are frozen pipes in winter on statics a big thing? I personally don't see how they maintain flow when they are so exposed.

Finally, are there in general any tips or things you wish you knew that you can share?

I have a low power usage dehumidifier that I plan on leaving there when I'm not present and the electric is covered in the ground rent which should help with mold but I'm aware ventilation is important.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Folks on here are very helpful but as we are all mostly touring caravan owners, there may be a limit to how much advice we can give. Having said that many people on here are technically skilled ( not me) and could be able to point you in the right direction.
mel

Sep 24, 2023
Visit site
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Folks on here are very helpful but as we are all mostly touring caravan owners, there may be a limit to how much advice we can give. Having said that many people on here are technically skilled ( not me) and could be able to point you in the right direction.
mel

Thanks for the heads up.

I did take a look and noticed it was mostly touring caravans but I thought I would try my luck.

It's mainly the bed thing that's bugging me... I don't want to rip them out and ruin it but it's only got 5 years left before it has to get moved off site anyway. I could really use that office space!

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
I've never owned a static but have spoken to a few owners over the years. The most important thing to scrutinize is the pitch agreement. Take your time reading thru and absorbing it, it could save you heartache in the future. At the end of the agreement (15 years?) the site owners can ask you to remove your unit. That can be a costly process, £2k?

I don't see any problem replacing the beds even if they are nailed in.

I wouldn't install a washer drier outside, they're designed to be installed and used indoors at room temperatures

Good quality exterior pipe insulation shouldn't be a problem to someone with your skills to fit

A dehumidifier would prevent condensation but would need to have a permanent drain if left for long periods as when the tank is full of captured moisture it will cut out, or should. If using a constant drain there is a slim risk of the drain-pipe freezing. I'm sure you already know that.

Very best of luck with your new lifestyle purchase, enjoy!

Sep 24, 2023
Visit site
I've never owned a static but have spoken to a few owners over the years. The most important thing to scrutinize is the pitch agreement. Take your time reading thru and absorbing it, it could save you heartache in the future. At the end of the agreement (15 years?) the site owners can ask you to remove your unit. That can be a costly process, £2k?

I don't see any problem replacing the beds even if they are nailed in.

I wouldn't install a washer drier outside, they're designed to be installed and used indoors at room temperatures

Good quality exterior pipe insulation shouldn't be a problem to someone with your skills to fit

A dehumidifier would prevent condensation but would need to have a permanent drain if left for long periods as when the tank is full of captured moisture it will cut out, or should. If using a constant drain there is a slim risk of the drain-pipe freezing. I'm sure you already know that.

Very best of luck with your new lifestyle purchase, enjoy!
Thanks for this some very useful advice.

Reactions: Seblo
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My father had a static in north Devon and it could be used February to November. He virtually lived in it full time except for the two months when the site was closed. So before heading back home he drained the internal water systems to prevent frost damage. Even if he used it in March and had to go back home he would again drain the water. Basically if there was a risk freezing conditions when he was not occupying it he drained the water.

I cannot see that removing two singles would affect the structure. Have good look at their construction and fixings. That should give a good indication of their affect, or not, on the structure of the static.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts