Remote Scotland

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
We love remote quiet sites in Scotland and have found a few but would be interested if anyone else has found any we may have missed. Especially looking for all year round ones that would be good for Christmas. Love mountains and scenery.

Jan 25, 2006
Visit site
Have you tried Applecros campsite - can't get much more remote and a real gem of a place. Campsite is basic but has hook ups/shop etc and is nice. Due to its location and the drive to get there you have to be pretty devoted to take a caravan, having to go round the coast via Sheildaig as opposed to up and over the mountain from Kishorn as this roas is not suitable for caravans.

What truly makes this place special is the peace and quiet with no reception for mobile phones to be found. The views out across the sea to the isles of Raasay and Skye are great but the real gem is the Applecross Inn which serves the best local seafood to be found and is directly below the campsite although you will have to stagger back uphill!!

If you can try and get to the applecross seafood festival which is on the 9-11th June - we went last year and it was great with live music and great food and drink. Don't miss the opportunity to take your car over the mountain pass back to Kishorn as the views down the pass are awe inspiring. We have camped there many times over the years and the scenery never gets boring.

May 9, 2006
Visit site
HI Chris.my wife and I found Invercoe Highland Holidays at Glencoe 4 years ago. We fell in love with it and now have our caravan stored there. A wonderfull site with brilliant views. Loads of great walks. And as we have 2 dogs perfect for them too!

The site owners are very friendly and helpfull.

I would recommend this site to anyone touring the west coast of Scotland

all the best Hamish

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris

We share your love of remote spots

A spot which we loved staying at is Gruinnard Bay, Laide. It is right on the beach with views out over Gruinnard island and the sea and mountains all around. The sites for tourers are right at the edge of the beach. The owners are very helpful. There is a picturesque ruined church and river adjacent to the site. Lots of lovely low-level walks in the area.

There are, also, some lovely sites off the road to Arisaig. Another favourite area of mine is Dumfries and Galloway not so remote as the North of Scotland but still beautiful. Some of my favourite sites there are

Castle Point, Rockcliffe, By Dalbeattie

Mossyard, Gatehouse of Fleet

New England Bay, Port Logan

As you like these type of sites I would highly recommend Brian Leahy's new book "Great Sea View Camping and Caravan Sites in Britain". This is a full colour revision of his earlier book "Sea View Camping and Caravan Sites in Britain" which had 400 site. The new book is very well laid out and with a colour photo of each site. The book has 150 of his favourite sites from his earlier book. It costs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts