Removal of black paint on new towball

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Can i ask what is the best way to remove the black paint from a new towball?

Sandpaper?Emery paper?or is there a chemical?

The last time i had to do it,i used sandpaper and it seemed to take me ages.

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
HI! Gearge I used emmery paper with water ,make sure it is spotlessly clean and DO NOT use any grease it has to be very very clean .otherwise you might get a bit squeeking sound from your coupling also make sure your pads on your coupling are clean if you have them fitted

hope this helps

Cheers Duggie

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I also used, very carefully nitromors and it make a very neat job.

I was surprised that there was no warning to remove this paint with the tow ball I only found out when I saw what a mess it had made of a friends friction pads.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Nitromoors is a very effective paint remover but the only trouble is that because it is caustic it has to be washed off with water.

The water could possibly cause areas of the new towball to corrode, the corrosion is easily removed with emery cloth so why not simply remove the paint with emery cloth and save around four quid?

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Oh dear Parksy....

I do hate to contradict but I don't think water reacts as quickly as you suggest. I would have thought that drying it off with a tissue would suffice.

If you are still concerned then use a hair dryer.

But what are you going to do when it rains????

Personally I would avoid using any kind of abrasive......emery or sand paper.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If you leave the towball cover off your towball when it rains you will soon see how quickly water reacts to form corrosion however slight it may appear.

The pads in the AlKo stabiliser are abrasive.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
On a more serious note I use wire wool, as supplied to plumbers for cleaning copper pipe. It wraps round the tow ball well, and seeems very effective, also works on a rusty towball.

Dave C

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts