Removing old number plates

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
With a new car due anyday I need to change the number plate on the caravan. The current one is stuck on with foam sticky pads.

Any tips on how to get the old one off?

Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A shortish length of fishing line or similar attached to a couple of small pieces of wood/plastic/ whatever (similar to a garrotte) should slice through them quite easily.
Then remove old sticky pads with plaster spatula and sticky stuff remover.
PS dental floss works as well as fishing line and unless you are a fisher it’s more likely you have dental floss than fishing line.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
A shortish length of fishing line or similar attached to a couple of small pieces of wood/plastic/ whatever (similar to a garrotte) should slice through them quite easily.
I have strong fishing line in stock might try that on our caravan at present two number plates on

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I just stick the new number plate over the old one. I cannot see any reason to remove the old one as they weight next to nothing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hmm, having more than one registration plate on a trailer raises the possibility the police might believe the trailer has been stolen.

I'm not sure whether having two differnt plates on display might be a felony under the road traffic act. It might be construed as trying to confuse the vehicles registered identity.

I've often wondered about what happens if a car is on a trailer or the back of a recovery truck, and its caught speeding.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When I was towing caravans to different music festivals for the set up and take down people to live in, the caravans had number plate mounts that we just slotted in our number plates, very handy as you never knew which van you were going to be moving.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hmm, having more than one registration plate on a trailer raises the possibility the police might believe the trailer has been stolen.

I'm not sure whether having two differnt plates on display might be a felony under the road traffic act. It might be construed as trying to confuse the vehicles registered identity.

I've often wondered about what happens if a car is on a trailer or the back of a recovery truck, and its caught speeding.
Do they use ANPR on every passing car?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Do they use ANPR on every passing car?
Are you thinking of ANPR equipped police cars or the roadside ANPR. Fixed ones are live all the time as where we last lived a new Navarro was stolen around 2030. When the owners got home later they reported it to the police. Their tracking showed it going over a junction called Fiveways in the direction of the A4. So the cameras must have recorded it and saved the data for subsequent interrogation.. No idea though what they would have recorded had it had two number plates.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Are you thinking of ANPR equipped police cars or the roadside ANPR. Fixed ones are live all the time as where we last lived a new Navarro was stolen around 2030. When the owners got home later they reported it to the police. Their tracking showed it going over a junction called Fiveways in the direction of the A4. So the cameras must have recorded it and saved the data for subsequent interrogation.. No idea though what they would have recorded had it had two number plates.
Thinking more in terms of ANPR equipped police cars. A fixed ANPR may flag it up as stolen, but by the time the police get there the criminals are long gone. Fixed ANPR cannot stop an uninsured, unroadworthy and untaxed vehicle from using the road so no chance of a stolen trailer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thinking more in terms of ANPR equipped police cars. A fixed ANPR may flag it up as stolen, but by the time the police get there the criminals are long gone. Fixed ANPR cannot stop an uninsured, unroadworthy and untaxed vehicle from using the road so no chance of a stolen trailer.
Fixed can be programmed to look for a stolen vehicle but their main purpose is serious crime, security and anti terrorism where the routine collection of data is required.

Reactions: Buckman
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site

Good point, I've always removed old plates, but for neatness rather than this reason!

I'm not sure whether having two different plates on display might be a felony under the road traffic act. It might be construed as trying to confuse the vehicles registered identity.

As I read the original post, the new plate was totally obscuring the old one - which it would have to be, to be illuminated by the number plate lights. But yes, I'm sure it would be illegal to have two different plates both on view.

I've seen cars on recovery trucks with the rear plate obscured by gaffer tape, I'm guessing that's why they do it.

Reactions: Bluetonic

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts