Renault Scenic RX4 - Clutch problems

Apr 21, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone else had the misfortune to burn out a Scenic clutch whilst towing? We purchased an Elldis Avante 505 (1190Kg) 12 months ago, and prepared for this by buying a Scenic 1.9Dci RX4 with a kerbweight of 1485Kg. Six months later on a holiday in Scotland, the clutch started to slip and burn out. It was replaced under warranty in October.

Three weeks ago, 4 miles into my first journey with the new clutch; black smoke and a revolting burning smell. The Renault dealership didn't want to know unless I could 'reproduce' the symptoms. I turned up with the 'van hitched up and as soon as the mechanics started to reverse, the clutch began to burn once again.

Renault won't replace a second time, although they are aware it is a problem. The Renault Uk Technical team's solution, and I quote, is "don't do any complex manouvers, like reversing, whilst towing". Not the most practical solution. Another dealer has since said that RX4's are notorious for clutch burn outs and he wouldn't advise towing with it.

I always loved Renault; the RX4 was my 5th Renault, but not again with this service!

To restore confidence in towing, I need to change a car in which i've lost trust - can anyone comment on how good the Kia Sorento 2.5 Diesel or Toyota Rav4 2.0 Diesel perform please?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's a shame about your Renault, but both of your other car choices are fine Richard. If you plan on towing a lot, or towing a heavier van, go for the Sorento, it is the proverbial towing god. If you don't plan on towing too much, keeping your exsisting van (and not going off road) get the Toyota. It has a better on road ride/handling bias and will be more economical to run.

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi. We had an RX4 for 3 years and did about 45000 miles in it. I thought it was a good tow car for its size and we towed at the top of its limits. We had no problems at all with the clutch during this time.

Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
Have recently sold an RX4 and bought a Sorento diesel auto. Never actually towed with the Renault but just didn't feel confident with it's capabilities. Collected the Kia Sunday and even though i've not towed with it yet, it feels a million times sturdier and more capable.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi richard, we had a renault scenic 11 the new shape it was an 04 plate, this was before we had a caravan.it was also the 1.9dci and we had nothing but trouble with the gearbox it was very notchey they admitted there was a problem and put a new gearbox in.then the 2nd gear box started to do the same and they said all renaults were like this it was the cable gears.you can go to any renault dealer and ask them to check it but my advise to you is get rid of it im sorry but the after sales service isnt what it should be.

Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
Don't start me on the after sales service of Renault!! Never experienced a company like them and would never buy another car from them either!

May 4, 2006
Visit site
A friend of mine has burnt the clutch out on an x trail, Nissan have point blank refused to change it. He tows a baily ranger 4 berth so this is well within th etowing limits. Before you go for a sorento check the NCAP crash test figures out.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why check out the NCAP data on the Kia Sorrento Garath?

The Sorrento scores a reasonable 4 stars for occupant safety and the same low score that virtualy every other vehicle does for pedestrian safety. So it is at least as good as most other vehicles as regards the NCAP rating. As for its abilities as a tow car - it has won a string of awards and Kia dealers are praised for their competance and fairness.

You seem to infer a negative on this vehicle that is not justified.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A friend of mine has burnt the clutch out on an x trail, Nissan have point blank refused to change it. He tows a baily ranger 4 berth so this is well within th etowing limits. Before you go for a sorento check the NCAP crash test figures out.
Yes check out the rating of the Sorento, I believe it to be a 4, one of the best in class.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Everyone but I've Just looked at the Euro NCAP site and the Kia Sedona scores TWO Stars for Occupancy against 5 for the Renault Scenic and the Kia scores 1 star for Pedestrian against 3 for the Renault.

As for Reliability and customer satisfaction this vehicle came 17th from bottom in the widely regarded JD Power survey.

There is a new Sedona due out but it Hasn't been officially rated yet.

Monkeys husband

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nice to see your attention to detail is the same as ever MH (LOL!)

The car in question is the Sorento - NOT the Sedonna

1/10 for accuracy

5/10 for effort

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nice to see your attention to detail is the same as ever MH (LOL!)

The car in question is the Sorento - NOT the Sedonna

1/10 for accuracy

5/10 for effort
Just as well you got in there first Clive, I was bubbling......

Bad Mr MH, badddd.....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Point taken.

Should have gone to spec savers .. Maybe I should host right car wrong car (LOLLLLLLLLLL)

MH
Good to see you taking the comments in the spirit in which they were written

We all make mistakes - several "Woops" comments from all of us on here

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
gareth, did you know renault and nissan are the same company.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts