Renovating an Old Caravan

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
This is what I've used on my caravan it never really sets ideal for aluminium sides and aluminium rails it's also made in Hull . I'm under this is what was used in the day..if you look elsewhere on this forum I've put images on on removal .cleaning and replacing said rails ..I've have a host of manuals info sheets I can post for you Gary 😊

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Yeah I’m very conscious of this. For that reason I am essentially keeping the same except for making the bed bigger and storage smaller, but will keep the same structural features. In an ideal world I hope to not have to touch any of the shelving around the ceiling at all. I think if I can manage to leave that as is or directly replace it if required and replace and upgrade the corner structures (which were the bed and seating) I should be okay.

Weight is something I’ve only just began to read about here and see it popping up in all the renovation threads. This is something I’ll have to be very conscious of.
It's a good idea to Take photographs before you start for reference.My 1992 Abbey used ph2(Philips head).replaced using stainless steel from tool station they are only available as PZ (pozidrive) which has no bearing on it's structural integrity 😊 (in case anyone is worried).I considered putting dampers on mine but unfortunately there is no provision to fit alko dampers on my year of manufacture.In MY personal experience I have found that if the caravan is aluminium and the awning rails are aluminium then a mastic sealer is used as per my picture,if however a caravan made from a plastic material and a plastic awning rail the a stikaflex sealer is used..As you will be aware aluminium expands a lot on the odd occasion the sun comes out and the bituminous sealer allows for this, plus it's easier to remove if and when needed.😊..Gary

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts