Repairs after water ingress

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello has anyone got any tips for reparing after water ingress.
We have had our 1996 Elddis caravan for two years now without any problems ( we thought ) after a very heavy storm last week we had a very small amount of water come in, i checked around and found some spongey areas at the junction of the side and rear wall internally on a closer look you can see some pin marks which look as they may be from a damp meter. The roof has a rear spoiler and there is a joint with a trim which i think is where the leak has come from ,i aim to take this off and reseal it. Until i take the wall covering and ply off i dont know if there is any of the framework damaged, i am quite lucky as carpentry is my trade so the work isnt a problem.
It is things like what is the best type of sealant for the roof joint.??
where can i get replacement wallpaper ??
Has anyone done these type of repairs and what if any were the problems

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Sproket i have looked at Gagakevs photos that has been very helpfull i know that all van construction will be different but it has given me some idea of whats in there.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Courson the wall paper is not separate from the ply, the ply and interior finish come as a complete finish,
Click here; O'leary motorhomes

They have a selection of wall boards, email them for the closest you can see on the chart and they will send you some samples to match what you have in your van, they do the insulation beading and jointing strips as well.
Or ring them as they are very helpful,

Edit, after clicking on the link just put wallboard in the search box,for some reason it wont take you direct to the page :(

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
courson said:
Thank you Sproket i have looked at Gagakevs photos that has been very helpfull i know that all van construction will be different but it has given me some idea of whats in there.
good luck with the repair,
as a quick aside if you intend to do the whole lot in one go strip out the inside and look for water marks to see where it is getting in,
then repair the outside first, using stickaflex once repaired give it a good soaking with a hose pipe this will establish if the repair is sound before doing the rest, (saves doing it all again in a couple of years time).

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Gagakev and Colin-Yorkshire your link and tips are very helpful I am surprised at the cost of the wallboards i thought they would be more expensive.I intened to strip out areas from the inside first the only minor problem i have is i live in london and the van is stored in france, the owner of the storage site is ok with me doing the repairs there. I will just have to make sure that i have enough materials to do the job once i have assessed the damage

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I had a water leak in the rear corner of our van. The culprit was the seal across the caravan between roof and back panel / spoiler and in the end the whole back quarter side panel and frame work had to be replaced. When it was first noticed, I took it back to the company and they first replaced the panel with a plastic piece and it could not breath and 12 years down the line a major repair had to be done.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Can I recommend this web site for caravan repairs http://www.1carpc.co.uk/wcdr/favorites.htm
this is a group of folk who have carried out repairs to their vans & are keen to pass on advice to others

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Good luck courson with your repairs and thanks for this post. I didn't realise the wallpaper was sold as a board and have been in B&Q trying unsuccessfully to find matching wallpaper as my piper that I'm renovating needs replacement from a past leak around the door.
Thanks to Gagakev again as I have now successfully ordered 2 panels and can't wait to see them in the van all shiny and new :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts