Replace awning light (has gone very dim)

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I have a Sterling Eccles Sport 442 (2012 model). Does anyone know if changing the awning light is something easy enough to do, or should I wait until it's next service? I'm not huge on DIY but I've done various easy bits like changing the toilet flush fuse and fixed the 'sticking' toilet trap so I won't shy away from stuff. Unless of course it's electrics, I'd rather not touch that...

It's very dim when putting the light on now, so assume it just needs changing like any other bulb would (although, is it an LED strip, I can't tell?).

Photo attached if it helps. Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• IMG_4232.jpg
    IMG_4232.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Definitely an LED strip.

It looks like those cream end caps come off to expose fixing screws. It will be sealed to the body too. Pulling it away should reveal the connection.

Depends how confident you feel really.

Reactions: sarahc_
Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
Definitely an LED strip.

It looks like those cream end caps come off to expose fixing screws. It will be sealed to the body too. Pulling it away should reveal the connection.

Depends how confident you feel really.
Thanks, I'll see whats underneath carefully as I imagine there will be some wires. And see how I feel!

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Thanks, I'll see whats underneath carefully as I imagine there will be some wires. And see how I feel!

If you do attempt it (and without wishing to teach granny to suck eggs) make sure it's properly resealed. Water ingress around things like awning lights is a common source of problems.

Reactions: borderbilly
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have removed one. The screw covers need to come off. They should prize out, but mine were hard and I had to damage them before they would release. Then remove the screws and the whole light should come away. It may still be held with mastic.

After cleaning up, the new light is a simple fit with two screws then caps.

If I remember. A pair of wires comes out of a hole in the caravan wall and fit into a connection block at one end of the light.

Make sure the screw hold and wire hole are packed with sealant.

John

Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
As always no expert on these things but have dealt with LED strips etc in and around my home. Often the strip itself remains fine in my experience its the transformer that fails so may be worth considering as you go along. Good luck with it though.

Reactions: sarahc_
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As always no expert on these things but have dealt with LED strips etc in and around my home. Often the strip itself remains fine in my experience its the transformer that fails so may be worth considering as you go along. Good luck with it though.
The strip of LED’s is 12 volt dc, no transformer needed. In my case I changed the strip, but this involved taking the fitting apart and some soldering. I just suggested replacing the whole fitting to the OP.

John

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site

I believe the only ones that come through any form of transformer are the dimmable interior ones as fitted to our 2018 Challenger.

Reactions: Deejuk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts