Replacement for Ford Kuga

Oct 24, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone hoping for some advice here as i'm new to the caravan game.
I've currently got a Ford Kuga 2l diesel fwd and im in the market to change it for something long term as it is currently on PCP and i have recently purchased a swift major 6 MPTLM 1480kg. I could keep the current car but being as we are looking to keep the next car long term i would like something with a higher spec.
My issue is though that i am struggling to find another new car that equals the Kuga for :-
1. Price
2.Towing capacity
3. Reasonable everyday running cost (Commuting car)
It seems car companys dont want to make 2litre diesels any longer and short of inflating the price massively to buy top end models such as the Kia Sportage to get a 2 litre i feel kind of stuck.
Has anyone got any suggestions to an SUV i'm missing as i've been to Kia, Mitsubishi etc and it seems everything is petrol or hybrid?
Would a petrol or hybrid tow the Major 6?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Steve619 said:
Hi everyone hoping for some advice here as i'm new to the caravan game.
I've currently got a Ford Kuga 2l diesel fwd and im in the market to change it for something long term as it is currently on PCP and i have recently purchased a swift major 6 MPTLM 1480kg. I could keep the current car but being as we are looking to keep the next car long term i would like something with a higher spec.
My issue is though that i am struggling to find another new car that equals the Kuga for :-
1. Price
2.Towing capacity
3. Reasonable everyday running cost (Commuting car)
It seems car companys dont want to make 2litre diesels any longer and short of inflating the price massively to buy top end models such as the Kia Sportage to get a 2 litre i feel kind of stuck.
Has anyone got any suggestions to an SUV i'm missing as i've been to Kia, Mitsubishi etc and it seems everything is petrol or hybrid?
Would a petrol or hybrid tow the Major 6?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Don't VAG offer 2.0 litre diesels for their SUVs? There are tests of hybrids for towing (Outlander PHEV) and turbo petrols too, but they don't pull as well as a diesel generally requiring more revs, but if your majority of time is spent solo and not towing then they could be an option. Volvo do hybrids too but they seem to be thirsty beasts, and of course Lexus have had a hybrid SUV out for many years now. You will need to research your needs quite carefully.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 diesel, reasonable service costs, tax and economy, are you looking for new,there are quite a few low mileage examples about on Autotrader.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As you've found,you'll be hard pushed to rival a Kuga on your 3 criteria.Personally if I had more cash I'd go for a new Tiguan ,very similar to Kuga in running costs and tow capacity,BUT a bit more expensive.
As with most things,only you can decide.
P.s If you don't need 4x4 don't get one ,when it goes wrong it's an expense you could do without.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Like brasso says , if you don't need 4wd dont get it , we are coming up to 2 years nxt week with our Kuga and I am proud as punch , love it , hopefully it will still be going in the next 1o years pulling the same as what you have , a major 6 . We got ours just as the Edge was getting advertised otherwise I might have thought about getting one of them .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are not limited to SUV's How about a Ford Galaxy, Smax, of equivalents from Volkswagen. Seat. or even Mercedes.

Big on space, comfort, and running costs more like cars than SUV's.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Look at the VW Tiguan 2L diesel with the new chassis. Takes some beating although not cheap new. Look at VW Das Welt used cars. We have recently changed our Passat Estate for another. We got an 18 plate first registered 29 March 18 with 8K5 on the clock and nearly a third off the new price. 2½ years manufacturers warranty, a year VW Breakdown (extendable for an extra two years if wanted for about £140 at the end of the year) with full European and towing cover. The car we think had been a VW UK management car so had been well looked after and maintained. Brilliant motor.

Only issue is that the V5C says it can tow 1800Kg, the car plate says 1825Kg (which I suspect is correct) and VW (web site and car build data) says it is 2000Kg. It is now in their hands but I am told a new plate is coming. No worry, my caravan is only 1450Kg!

Oct 24, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the advice all.
Looks like i may be sticking with the Kuga.
On another point it is worrying the lack of diesel engines available now and looks only to be getting worse.
Got me thinking in the next 5 years what will i end up towing with? Maybe only pickups like the hilux that will have the larger diesel engines or will hybrids catch up to be a capable towing solution?
It does seem everything is shifting to pure economy

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Steve619 said:
Thanks for the advice all.
Looks like i may be sticking with the Kuga.
On another point it is worrying the lack of diesel engines available now and looks only to be getting worse.
Got me thinking in the next 5 years what will i end up towing with? Maybe only pickups like the hilux that will have the larger diesel engines or will hybrids catch up to be a capable towing solution?i

It does seem everything is shifting to pure economy

The next few years will be interesting. The shift is for reduced emissions rather than economy.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Practical caravan did a petrol/diesel comparison test on a couple of Tiguans, if I remember they didn't find too much difference,towing wise.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brasso530 said:
Practical caravan did a petrol/diesel comparison test on a couple of Tiguans, if I remember they didn't find too much difference,towing wise.

True but the towing economy of the petrol was significantly poorer.

Don't be fooled into thinking you must have an SUV or 4x4 for towing. There are many very good tow cars, and 99.99% of the time you wont need the extra traction of a 4x4.

Consider this, if you spend most of your time commuting and only a small fraction towing, then why go for the expense of keeping an SUV or large 4x4 with their high running and servicing costs when most of your mileage is for commuting? Better to go for a large comfortable and more economic saloon that is just big enough to pull your caravan on occasions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Since 2000 we have had a series of 4x4,and the only times I've the car has failed to get us of a muddy/ wet grass CL was with 4wd and AT tyres. Going back to a estate car has been a pleasure for solo driving and no negatives whatsoever whilst towing. But my wife doesn't like it one bit as she says it's too low and she can't see around her well enough. Her car is high riding and she's hankering after a new Vitara next year. But not for towing duties.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Craigyoung said:
Don't know if I could go from a high positioned seat in an SUV to a car now . I'm used to the high ride kinda feeling .
;)

Try an MPV ;)

Had one , we had the verso ! Was a great car , had it for 9 years , 3 for towing , was great but limited to a very disappointing low weight for towing for a good 2.2 turbo engine .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
ProfJohnL said:
Craigyoung said:
Don't know if I could go from a high positioned seat in an SUV to a car now . I'm used to the high ride kinda feeling .
;)

Try an MPV ;)

Had one , we had the verso ! Was a great car , had it for 9 years , 3 for towing , was great but limited to a very disappointing low weight for towing for a good 2.2 turbo engine .

Other makes and models have some very good weight limits, so its a matter of choice. Sadly Renault no longer import the Espace, but others like the Galaxy and VW Sharan and Seat Alhambra are available; with some great engines and good towing capacity.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Craigyoung said:
;)

Try an MPV ;)

I'd second that. My S-Max 2.0 163 tows my 1635kg Coachman perfectly. 3 proper middle row seats, with the rear 2 seats folded the boot is much bigger than a Sorento / Santa Fe etc and more than big enough for pretty much everything we take with us including full sized awning (800kg payload in the car too so no worries about squeezing it all in). 25mpg towing, 45 driven solo and nice to drive too with the high up driving position .

1800kg max towing weight for the manual, mine is a 2014 though - pretty sure the newer ones are 2000kg for both auto and manual.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Outlander Diesel 2.2. Will pull 2000kg and should be ok on towing ratio. We’ve just got an 18 plate Auto and love it.

The PHEV only pulls up to 1500kg so you’d be getting close to limits with possible burning out of motors.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
tuffty said:
ProfJohnL said:
Craigyoung said:
;)

Try an MPV ;)

I'd second that. My S-Max 2.0 163 tows my 1635kg Coachman perfectly. 3 proper middle row seats, with the rear 2 seats folded the boot is much bigger than a Sorento / Santa Fe etc and more than big enough for pretty much everything we take with us including full sized awning (800kg payload in the car too so no worries about squeezing it all in). 25mpg towing, 45 driven solo and nice to drive too with the high up driving position .

1800kg max towing weight for the manual, mine is a 2014 though - pretty sure the newer ones are 2000kg for both auto and manual.

Tufty , whats the kerb weight and the max weight of the S max, ? I looked at them, but my SF, 5 SEAT had more room under the boot area, Interesting Sherlock. :p

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Even though our Toyota Verso was a 7 seater the boot wasn't that big on it even with the seats down but with the Kuga that we have now which is only a 5 seater but classed as Estate version the boot is massive plus the extra bit of height goes a long way .

May 12, 2014
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
tuffty said:
ProfJohnL said:
Craigyoung said:
;)

Try an MPV ;)

Tufty , whats the kerb weight and the max weight of the S max, ? I looked at them, but my SF, 5 SEAT had more room under the boot area, Interesting Sherlock. :p

According to the V5 Mass in service is 1765 kg, max permissible mass 2505kg. There's only a small cubbyhole under the S-Max boot (just right for 6 bottles of wine) but the actual boot takes a Vango Kalari 520, Cadac, 4 camping chairs, two foldup tables, a camping wardrobe, one small kids bike and several bags of clothes no problems.

You can also fold the three middle row seats separately, so if you only have 2 kids like I do the middle seat can fold and take even more - not that I've ever needed to.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
And what I've noticed with the size of the car we have even with the boot full of similar things to what you have just said ( minus the bike ) and with the caravan on the back , the car doesn't even look like it's got anything hitched up on the back suspension wise . But I wouldn't fancy putting it onto in Estate version car with what we have just said and the size of our vans I think you'd probably lose the back tyres !

I see many cars about towing large vans and you'd think they were going into orbit the way the front of the car is pointing up !! :blink:
SUV always for me now .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts