Replacing lock

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
One of my locks is broken and I am unable to get the key in. It is one of these Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the lock please. TIA

Attachments

• Lock.jpg
    Lock.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 13
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Is the broken lock in situ in the locked position? Key not broken?
Squirt a liberal amount of WD40 or similar into the lock. Leave for 30 minutes and try again. If all else fails you will have to drill out the lock and replace it.

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
Is the broken lock in situ in the locked position? Key not broken?
Squirt a liberal amount of WD40 or similar into the lock. Leave for 30 minutes and try again. If all else fails you will have to drill out the lock and replace it.
It is in the locked position with the door closed. The key will only go in part way and seems to be hitting something 'solid'. I have tried wd40 but to no avail as I say something seems to be stopping the key going fully in.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Don't suppose it may help to insert a very,very fine screwdriver to try and move the obstruction out of the way to enable you to get the key in.?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I stripped one out once in a Hymer from the inside outwards.

I recall the lock tumbler was housed in a die cast cylinder with flat extended shaft, anyway ours all came apart.

In your case you are going to need some bits or a new assembly, but removal is "doable" and all very easily.

Edit: there are some hints in this You Tube or the other several ones out there.

With the tumbler assembly out, key out, you ought to be able to push in the little securing plate and remove the lock's inner core. These cores can be ordered against key numbers and I recall were very cheap to replace.
Even easier if you don't need to order a special one to retain key commonality, as one dealer had them as an on shelf item.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
I stripped one out once in a Hymer from the inside outwards.

I recall the lock tumbler was housed in a die cast cylinder with flat extended shaft, anyway ours all came apart.

In your case you are going to need some bits or a new assembly, but removal is "doable" and all very easily.
Thanks you say removal it easy. Can you please let me know how TIA Won't I need to get it open first?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Thanks you say removal it easy. Can you please let me know how TIA Won't I need to get it open first?

I did not pick up anywhere you said that it was also on some closed locker, just you had a key insertion issue.

Thus follow the advice to drill or otherwise disable it and replace all that is needed.
These things are anything but "secure".

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This should give you a good idea. Take your time . May I suggest you source a new lock before hand so you can do the whole job in one go.

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
This should give you a good idea. Take your time . May I suggest you source a new lock before hand so you can do the whole job in one go.
Thanks for your help

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
One of my locks is broken and I am unable to get the key in. It is one of these Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the lock please. TIA
Hi,
Caravans are dead easy to break into.You don't need to go in by the door.If you get into the van try by unlocking and opening the door from the inside.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi speckled hen, there’s a lock exactly the same on eBay, brand new 11.99 so cheap as chips and I’m sure the new one would enable you to see how it goes together, just go on eBay put in caravan door lock and it was about the 3rd item down

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts