Replacing submersible water pump

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
The water pump in our camper van has stopped working and obviously needs replacing. It's a Comet pump and sits in the freshwater tank under one of the seats, easy to get at but would need wiring in. Does anyone know if this is a job I could tackle myself (very limited DIY skills!) I have tried various motohome workshops in the Surrey/Sussex area but they cannot book me in until the end of May at the earliest and we are due to go away in it in two weeks! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi "Redvan," and welcome.
Whether this is a DIY job really depends on whether the work matches your skills. So have a look at what's visible, and what isn't.
For instance, does the pump come with some kind of plug, which will allow you just to unplug the old and plug in the new? If not, do you understand the basics of 12v wiring?
And where do you need to get to, in order to connect the new one (whether or not it has a plug)? If it's at all inaccessible, do you know how to dismantle whatever is in the way, AND PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AGAIN?
Oh, and how old is the van? I only ask because I only began even considering any DIY fixes on mine once it was around 4 years old. Before that I just wouldn't want to risk spoiling anything!
Most of us gradually work out how various bits of our vans work, as we need to. But it's best not to start doing that from scratch when you've got a deadline (like a holiday!).
Either way, all the best with this. Let us know how you get on!

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi thank you for your reply. The van is 6 years old. The pump is easy to get at, it sits in the freshwater tank which is under one of the seats, there is a round lid which unscrews and the pump lifts out. I have taken the plunge, so to speak, and got a new pump, it does just unplug but the terminals are crimped on so I will have to crimp the new one which doesn't seem to be a problem. What is a problem though is that on the old pump is a blue connector which the water hose slides on to. The new pump does not have a connector and the old one seems impossible to remove. Have tried hot water to loosen it but nothing will shift it. I now need to buy a new connector but don't know where from. The pump supplier said they don't sell them, I have tried an aquatics centre to see if they had anything that I could use but to no avail. I am now trawling the Internet! I have a photo of it but I'm not sure if I can uploaded a photo onto the forum. If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Couple of places worth trying for your spare part:
http://www.leisurelines.net (aka C.A.K.Tanks)
http://www.towsure.com
I've found both of them helpful for random bits.

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your advice. Pleased to say that CAK tanks came up trumps and were able to supply the part we needed (it was an air release valve), the job is done and we have been able to go away with a functioning water system. Also saved £££s in labour charges!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts