Research done still need advice

Oct 7, 2019
Visit site
Hi

We want to buy a used caravan next year will probably be August time we will have about 10K to spend, know nothing about caravans as such.

We went to the NEC couple weeks ago and have worked out layout we want center shower, wc and two end dinners, couple of things came up some of the caravans seemed to have the hook up points on the same side as the door, won't this be right in the middle of the awning?

Also we overheard a conversation was about a Bailey about the pipes underneath and they were saying it doesn't stay warm, what should we be looking for?

Toilets how do they work, do they have cassettes and how do you dispose, and gas hob or elec best.

Many thanks

Angie

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
"hook up points on the same side as the door, won't this be right in the middle of the awning?"
- Potentially... but this only seems to be on some vans... Bailey I think.

"Also we overheard a conversation was about a Bailey about the pipes underneath and they were saying it doesn't stay warm, what should we be looking for?"
- If your are referring to the heating system, this is not a Bailey problem; any caravan with blown-air heating when a pipe is routed externally, seeming has this issue. My Sprite heating pipe to the washroom is externally routed and it is always cold. I have just lagged it but yet to test.

"Toilets how do they work, do they have cassettes and how do you dispose...",
- Yep, usually a removable cassette is under the toilet and removed externally. Caravan sites have a disposal point, sometimes called an "Elsan Point". This can be a toilet or a large sink-like area.

"and gas hob or elec best."
- Most caravans have gas hobs as standard with more upmarket vans having 3 gas burners and one electric hot plate.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
akd1961 said:
Hi

We want to buy a used caravan next year will probably be August time we will have about 10K to spend, know nothing about caravans as such.

We went to the NEC couple weeks ago and have worked out layout we want center shower, wc and two end dinners, couple of things came up some of the caravans seemed to have the hook up points on the same side as the door, won't this be right in the middle of the awning?

Also we overheard a conversation was about a Bailey about the pipes underneath and they were saying it doesn't stay warm, what should we be looking for?

Toilets how do they work, do they have cassettes and how do you dispose, and gas hob or elec best.

Many thanks

Angie

These days I am sure the makers place some insulation over the external heating pipes. You can buy it from leisure outlets but it is expensive. Armaflex insulation whilst bulkier can be easily installed and is times cheaper than the Thule stuff. There was a recent post that described how to do it and some good pictures too.

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-gas-fires/truma-fires/spare-parts-for-truma-blown-air-heating/insulating-ducting-for-blown-air-system-2m-length
https://www.pipelagging.com/pipe-insulation/insulation-by-pipe-size/80mm-pipe-insulation

PS look at the Post By Custard Avenger " A little job done before winter" or search armaflex within the last month

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Using the cassette loo is slightly different from home. Most caravans have a top tank like the cistern at home. You fill this with about 7 litres of water. Because that is used for several flushes you need to put an additive in or else the flush won’t clean properly. Most folks use a pink additive. I don’t but more just now. In the cassette when outside you add fluid, usually blue. I use Elsan organic which can also go in top tank. Follow instructions on bottles. When you empty the cassette press the button to release the air. Best also to get soluble paper as normal tissue can clog the cassette. To use the loo short flush to wet the sides. Use, open flap and flush. Close flap. Don’t forget the more you flush the sooner you empty the cassette and refill top tank. Occasionally some caravans have a Dometic loo. This is similar except you open the flap before use. For maintenance look on the internet.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Listening to lots of posts on here regarding loo additives it seems to vary massively, myself I have never used an additive in the flush tank, not the pink or the organic stuff and we’ve never once had any problems with the flush doing what’s required of it always, secondly re what paper to use, we just use any loo roll that’s available, tesco own brand or Andrex seems to be the norm and again we’ve never had a problem with the tank getting clogged up so I’m unsure why the need for anything special, last thing about the flush water, I’ve seen people on here that have said using various additives has caused a slimy build up in the flush tank, I can’t comment on that as I’ve never used it, once you’ve used and emptied the caravan loo you’ll see there’s nothing difficult about it.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Beehpee said:
Listening to lots of posts on here regarding loo additives it seems to vary massively, myself I have never used an additive in the flush tank, not the pink or the organic stuff and we’ve never once had any problems with the flush doing what’s required of it always, secondly re what paper to use, we just use any loo roll that’s available, tesco own brand or Andrex seems to be the norm and again we’ve never had a problem with the tank getting clogged up so I’m unsure why the need for anything special, last thing about the flush water, I’ve seen people on here that have said using various additives has caused a slimy build up in the flush tank, I can’t comment on that as I’ve never used it, once you’ve used and emptied the caravan loo you’ll see there’s nothing difficult about it.

BP

I agree your comments re loo paper. There was a recent thread on the subject and I think the majority of responses were that ordinary supermarket soft tissue was fine. The Thetford stuff is expensive and I’ve always used ordinary supermarket paper without any problems in the cassettes function.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " Because that is used for several flushes you need to put an additive in or else the flush won’t clean properly."

Absolute rubbish.
The flush works and cleans just as well with no additive.

You don't "need" to put anything in the flush water, in fact it is often vey detrimental to do so as it encourages algae to grow and eventually block the pump.

Just use plain ordinary water.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
akd1961 said:
Hi

Hi Baileys do have the hook up plug in point on the UK near side ( same side as the door). For some this is a deal breaker, not a problem for others, including us. We just tuck the cable under the draught skirt. The thing to note though is that the battery on a Bailey is in the middle of the van with a hatch in the middle of the floor. This means it is not on an outside wall, like many vans. On such vans the battery is in a box inset into the wall, which you can lock, and the hook up cable connects inside the box and is locked in. On Baileys they just plug in under a flap. If you look at different vans ( and you tube videos) you will see what I mean. Check out Caravan finder as well.
Hope this helps. Happy hunting
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree the run of the heating pipe tends to be the same for most makes so all you can do is ask if this is the case before buying but insulating it is easy and it should not be a deal breaker. It is the caravans with a rear toilet compartment that are most affected, but we have never found a problem with them.
We never use toilet flush fluid and have never had a problem. The fluid is more likely to be a problem with black bits turning up in the toilet.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Could I make a non-technical suggestion. I think what may help you in many respects was to find another caravanner in your area and introduce yourself. Although many people have to store their caravans away from their homes many do not and so it should be fairly easy to find such an owner. Generally we are a pretty friendly bunch and happy to sharea knowledge, so i think it may be possible to get guided tour of their van. And you don't have to limit it to a single contact.
If you happen to live anywhere Somerset/Dorset west Wiltshire I would be very happy to help - if so let me know and I will get you access to my email.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts