Rest stops M4 to Pembroke

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hoping to get away shortly for a few days in Pembroke. Gone are the days when we would do it all in one stint;DVT saw to that :(

So we will probably require a short stop around Swansea area and we will be travelling on the M4 and A48. Preferably not a trunk road lay-by as although the outfit has good acceleration it’s not GTI standard. Do not object to a slight detour if there are any industrial parks anyone has used.
Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
camel said:
OC, if its only a short stop less than two hours you have the Swansea service area,

Thanks. Yes its only for a 10 minute walk around to stretch the leg. Is caravan parking okay, otherwise I don't mind parking in the HGV area.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used Swansea West in both directions and got into one of the six caravan bays alongside some heavy trucks and a large MB saloon. Nice thing is that if the bays were full you can loop back renter and use the HGV parking areas. I pity the coach drivers as every bay today was full of cars and vans, whilst the car parking areas had lots of spaces.

Recently a OP posted about inconsiderate French drivers and parking in Aires. Guess the Brits can outdo them many times over.

The journey from Pembroke was a nightmare. Five hours driving time plus a stop at Swansea West. From Carmarthen onwards it was one long stop start drag. I thought today might miss the return from holidays folks going back home tomorrow. Just shows how wrong you can be.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
The Swansea West services should be fine for you.

6 miles further on, Pont Abraham services (at the end of the M4) is slightly nicer but doesn't have dedicated caravan parking (but there's normally enough space in either the car park or HGV bays). At Carmarthen (about 10 miles further on), take the first exit at the first roundabout (signed Llanelli) then turn right at McDonalds (after 100 yards or so) for a nice little complex with a couple of fast food restaurants (I think Subway and KFC) and a pub. Again there is no dedicated caravan parking but you should be able to fit it somewhere.

The main tourist season in Pembrokeshire runs from Saturday to Saturday throughout the summer, and heavy traffic on those days is inevitable. If you can travel on another day of the week, outside peak season or if it absolutely has to be on a Saturday, in the early morning and you'll usually be ok.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
SamandRose said:
The Swansea West services should be fine for you.

6 miles further on, Pont Abraham services (at the end of the M4) is slightly nicer but doesn't have dedicated caravan parking (but there's normally enough space in either the car park or HGV bays). At Carmarthen (about 10 miles further on), take the first exit at the first roundabout (signed Llanelli) then turn right at McDonalds (after 100 yards or so) for a nice little complex with a couple of fast food restaurants (I think Subway and KFC) and a pub. Again there is no dedicated caravan parking but you should be able to fit it somewhere.

The main tourist season in Pembrokeshire runs from Saturday to Saturday throughout the summer, and heavy traffic on those days is inevitable. If you can travel on another day of the week, outside peak season or if it absolutely has to be on a Saturday, in the early morning and you'll usually be ok.

Thanks as per my above post I used Swansea West in both directions and they were fine.
I had taken advice about Saturday traffic. A normal three hours going on a Sunday turned into five hours driving time plus stop on a Friday!!!! The Carmarthen road is a joke and the number of junctions Swansea to Port Talbot slows the M4 traffic to standstill. I won’t mention the Newport tunnels! But clearly the South Wales motorway infrastructure needs much improvement. Can’t believe I hired a Rover SDI V8 when I was a student in Cardiff and we blasted it to London and back over the old Severn bridge just for the joy of it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts