Retiring from caravaning

Apr 19, 2007
Visit site
Hello, im new here

I am trying to help my Granddad sell his van as he is over 80 now, although this has taken me alot to convinve him he is too old !!

He has a 1990 Elddis Mistral GTX 2 birth, in immacualte condition no expense spared.

He had £3500 of repair work done 2 years ago with a complete front end rebuild as some damp was found, so it really is as new.

Here goes with some detail, please bare with me if the things i write are not in true 'caravaning' talk as i dont know much about vans, just trying to help my Granddad out.

cassette tolit, end kitchen, 3 way fridge (mains electric, 12 volt dc and gas), Full cooker, Gas heater with blown air circualtion. Water Filter.

I also know he has a newish top of the range awning, with fibre glass poles that he wants to sell with the caravan he paid alot for this awning !

This is a reluctant sale but we all know we can't sadly carry on forever !

If you are interested and require more info or pictures please feel free to contact me.

I am hoping around £2300 is a realistic price with the top spec awning, although i am open to offers ! So please contact me.

Thanks for reading !

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I cannot understand why you want to convince him he is too old... What is he to do now? sit on the sofa and watch TV while he slowly loses his fitness and well being.

Leave the man with his enjoyment and if needed go and help him set up and down as needed

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Joanne

I with Steve on this one y shod he stop doing some think that he like and he can do for now with no help.

It mite take him a bit longer to set up but just thick of the enjoy meant and the well be he get from it.

I till you one thing is that I hope when I 80 I still will be going caravanning.

Mark

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I've known of a 96 year old motor cyclist get pulled by the Avon police for a "routine" check on his "boy Racer" looking Motor Bike !

I'm with Steve, is your Granddad to old and past it or is that just your view, maybe some of the family should or could join him and help him continue to enjoy his caravanning for as long as he wants.

The 96 year old bikers daughter and son inlaw decided that it was better for old dad to just ride his bike and that they would drive his belongings to his other children when they had him for there share of the year rather than him load a lot of stuff on his old steady bike. With his luggage problem out the way he bought a new more modern bike!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our Royale club President is 84, and still caravanning. Needs a little help to wind the legs up and down, but otherwise completely independent.Take away his (brand new) car and Royale van and he'll just waste away. If your Grandfather hasn't asked to give up, then let him carry on.

Apr 19, 2007
Visit site
I wouldnt say anything to my granddad or do anything against his will!

My grandma hates taking it away as it is too much hassle for them both, My Grandma doesnt enjoy it as she has a few problems, and can not help me grandad, and my grandad has admitted he can not manaage the water, legs and certainly struggles to put the awning up on his own. At present he has a car, a caravan and a old vw camper. So the aim is to Sell both and leave him with his car and he wants to buy a new motor home ! So dont fret he will still be going away but in something that is less hassle to him ! IM not mean grand daughter just one that wants to help him out ! we are in the process of looking at new campers !

Believe you me i would never pressurise him into doing anything he wouldnt want to !

He has been wanting a new camper for a while but needs to sell both his current ones to afford a deposit towards one !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wouldnt say anything to my granddad or do anything against his will!

My grandma hates taking it away as it is too much hassle for them both, My Grandma doesnt enjoy it as she has a few problems, and can not help me grandad, and my grandad has admitted he can not manaage the water, legs and certainly struggles to put the awning up on his own. At present he has a car, a caravan and a old vw camper. So the aim is to Sell both and leave him with his car and he wants to buy a new motor home ! So dont fret he will still be going away but in something that is less hassle to him ! IM not mean grand daughter just one that wants to help him out ! we are in the process of looking at new campers !

Believe you me i would never pressurise him into doing anything he wouldnt want to !

He has been wanting a new camper for a while but needs to sell both his current ones to afford a deposit towards one !!
Then good luck to him!!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hey Joanne that's really brilliant and inspirational.

Let us know how he gets on and I hope he and Gran get the Motorhome and that there are still plenty of friendly camper and caravanners who will assist with the water etc if he needs a hand.

I've posted this in "Chit Chat" and hope you and the Grandparents enjoy, some the people are in their 90's

the link is -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts