Returned to a caravan after 30 years!

Nov 28, 2019
Visit site
Finally returned to a caravan after 30 years, now closer to 80 than 70 - tried most other things from tents to caravans, narrowboats and motorhomes. Now completed the circle.
What a difference there is in the caravans now!! Also more to go wrong?!
All advice gratefully received - I can manage most DIY stuff and get easily miffed by intransigent attitude of some dealers and their support staff!
Look forward to making contributions if and when appropriate!
We have just acquired a 2013 Bailey Unicorn Valencia from a private sale - Grandchildren really thrilled to have a Unicorn in the family!!
Just returned from a short shake down trip, in the wet - and discovered a few things that require attention.
Advice and words of wisdom sought........
1) Allot of difficulty releasing the tow hitch - book instructions vague!
2) How do you fix the overhead blinds - window blinds I understand.
3) Any recommendations for service/support in the Newark/Mansfield area?
Thanks for now.
Mike/EUtraveller

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
You sound as though you are in a similar position to us. We too took up caravanning in our mid 70's after trying most other forms of keeping the weather out.

The hitch on our van can be difficult to let go. I find that I have to take the load off so the hitch is neither fully extended or compressed, then it comes away easily. Could that be your problem?

Can't help with your other points.

Enjoy yourself.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum from one just nearer 70 than 80.
I find the hitch on the ALKO head not a problem, but the clamp lever for the stabiliser is very stiff, but as it has been that way on the last three caravans, it seems to be the way they are made. The only idea I have come up with is a short length of steel tube over the handle to get a bit more leverage, but may be someone else has a better idea.
Sorry do not have any information on the other two points.

Nov 28, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for this - sounds very useful! Will implement!
Just a quick question - we can not get the hitch lever to remain in the upright position (no pun intended!) when un hitching which may also be a problem. It clicks up when hitching, and then locks down into position. Will not click into upright when unhitching.
There is red button thing on the nose - any idea of its purpose?
We will endeavour!!
Thanks again.
Mike

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
The handle for the tow hitch won't stay up, you have to hold it up whilst cranking the nose up with the jockey wheel. The handle is designed to drop once the tow ball engages and the latch won't operate until you tow ball is out of the hitch...

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
The red button should pop up when you are hitched to the tow vehicle it is just a safety device and we are in our 70s too
Hope this helps
Martin.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I think the red button on the nose is the button that should move out to show you the stabiliser (big red handle) is down and pads - in which case the green bit should be visible. Are the blinds broken or just needing tensioning-little hole in the side-worth a youtube.
We know a really gen caravan engineer near Saxilby/Skellingtorpe way- he is mobile now I think=let me know if interested.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Always worth ensuring the hitch head is extended fully (the gaiter stretched out not compressed) before trying to unhitch. If on a level pitch just pull a little forward with the towcar before unhitching. This should make it easier to disengage the head. Also once unhitched the head will naturally extend resulting in a bruise on the bumper of the car! Do you have a motor mover fitted - well worth the extra to save ever manhandling the caravan and often a huge amount easier than reversing the van if access to the pitch or storage site is tight.
Good luck in your new adventure - long may they last - you will also find that you can find a peaceful haven for a break in the van without necessarily driving miles! Nearer 70 than 60 we usually research a spot for lunch after about 2 hours travelling, researching on Google Maps, as many garden centres have huge accessible parking areas and excellent cafes! (Maybe not recommended between now and the new year though!)

Nov 28, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the info - will go for stretching the gaiter! We have a motor mover - the idea of man handling the 'van does nothing to enthral us!! We tend to use fully operational sites and then explore by foot or car - we found that local 'bus companies were becoming less reliable and the motorhome became more captive!
Thanks.
Mike.

Nov 28, 2019
Visit site
Thank you - I have been pushing the damned red button - as described in the Bailey book - to no avail!! Have U tubed and will continue in the research.
Would appreciate info on your contact.
My direct contact is: Moderator Edit. Happy to provide email contact details upon request. Best not to display it on an open public forum.
Thanks again.
Mike

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum and congratulations on returning to caravanning, you're never too old to enjoy yourself!
I used to struggle with the hitch release with the towball on my previous towcar, this was before I had a motor mover fitted to our caravan.
I found that if I dis-engaged the Alko stabiliser before reversing with the caravan it helped, plus the already mentioned slight forward pull to re-extend the hitch damper before unhitching.
I used to keep a short pry bar in the back of the car so that if all else failed a quick jerk with the bar between hitch and towball bracket did the trick.
TopTip: The red 'button' is a hitch indicator which is supposed to reassure you that the caravan is fully hitched and that the Alko stabiliser friction pads are not worn out and ready for replacement.
Don't rely on the indicator, every time that you hitch up, before pushing down the stabiliser lever lower the caravan jockey wheel to the ground until the rear end of your tow vehicle begins to lift slightly.
This procedure will ensure that the caravan hitch is fully engaged every time, because the button can indicate that the hitch is engaged when it is not.
Don't forget to attach the breakaway cable, engage the stabiliser and connect and check the road lights.
p.s. I edited your previous post to remove your email address, this is an open public forum and if you display your email contact details anyone at all could copy them and use them in any way that they wanted to without your consent or knowledge.
We are happy to forward email addresses off forum.

Nov 28, 2019
Visit site
Thank you for the valuable input. Hopefully our struggles will decrease in line with our increasing decreptitude! Thanks, also, for your thoughtful editting!!!!
Thanks. Mike

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Hi try Hometec ; used to be part of Caratech Saxibly/Skellingthorpe business park.. We always liked the engineer and he appears to have gone off on his own, mobile.

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/

Have a look at this page for mobile engineers etc in your area. Happy caravan times to come from ones who've also had everything bar a motorhome.

Nov 28, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the input - hope the things you had weren't catching!
We found over several years of motorhoming that they were allot of fun but restricting! - and if we considered towing a car we might as well return to a caravan! Also DVLA had hoops that required allot of jumping through!
Have fun.
Mike

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
EUTraveller said:
Thanks for the input - hope the things you had weren't catching!
We found over several years of motorhoming that they were allot of fun but restricting! - and if we considered towing a car we might as well return to a caravan! Also DVLA had hoops that required allot of jumping through!
Have fun.
Mike

Welcome back to the Caravan side of life again, and We hope you like it again. Another two years before I have to sort out my driving licence.
Hutch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts