Reversing camara to see towball

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi
My wife (bless her) cannot get the hang of guiding me back to hook up the caravan**. I have just bought a long wheel base land Rover so I thought I would fit a camara to assist.
Has anyone any suggestions on what to buy. Preferably one that gives a view of towball and traffic to the rear.
Do other men have this problem. My wife stands in a position where I cannot see her through the mirrors also I have asked her to use the closing hands method of telling me the distance to go. This works ok until I am about a foot away and then she panics, closes her hands suddenly and throws herself across the back of my landrover in an effort to stop me. I get out check the distance (which is about a foot) and hear those dreaded words "We can move the caravan" On my drive that means pulling1600kg up a steep slope.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to say that swmbo is very good at gestures to guide me back. She's also a dab hand at following gestures when she's reversing back. Also she manages very well solo using the reversing camera as well. Can't advise as current car came with the camera and the one I'm waiting for is also factory fit.

Hope it's not going to be too depressing for you to know that she does all the hooking up routine and most of the towing as well. We both loved towing with our 110 Defender.

The only thing she refuses to do is use the motor mover. That's always down to me to do.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Dave, on a land Rover you just fit the camera wherever you like! On my Range Rover I monted the camaera on a door hinge(!) under the lip above the number plate, the idea being that I would just tilt it downwards to see the towball. Worked well, but then I realised that I could see enough of the road to the rear with camera in the tilted position, so I've just left it. It is surprising just how big an arc you can see with that little lens.
On the LR, I think it would fit just above the number plate light, would it not?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my Kia Sorento, my other half is only four foot seven tall so it's always difficult to see her behind the car.
I fitted a number plate bracket mounted camera, the bracket forms a backing plate for the number plate.
I can now see the towball and reverse parking between other vehicles is a doddle.
Have a look on Flebay to find one that will fit a Land Rover.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Get a mover ? We used to have this problem all the time my wife would stand there and guide me back but now since getting the new one we have a motor mover which I just hook the van on myself, inch by inch onto the towball and hey presto no more arguments !

Craig

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi Thanks for the input
I have been looking at the 'Truckguard' camara for £99 Has anyone used this make or is there a cheaper version. One proviso though is that I would prefer it is wired not wireless.
Martin. Having driven and towed with a Defender 90 for 11 years I have treated myself to a 2014 110 double cab so the camara may also help with reversing into tight spaces.
Emmerson. The back of my Defender is flat so no problems mounting although with the spare wheel bolted to the door it will have to be off to one side.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Foggy, The rear camera on my Sante, is great, just get used to hitching up I know "almost"exactly where it is within half an inch, , also been a long time since "The Boss" has thrown herself over the back of the car, Ahh memories. :p

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our Mazda came with a camera as standard and it is centrally mounted and I can see the tow ball in it. It makes reversing on to the caravan as simple as it could be. We had things reasonably well sorted before but hitching on my own which happened sometimes was far harder. The camera though is a great invention and well worth the money.
Basically if you are fitting it the best place is centrally and angled down to see the tow ball I have no information on makes though but l can say go for it.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Got mine from Parking camera's the photo shows one socket on the right, now have two which I just swop over and plug the camera for the van in to it.
IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Ah found the twin socket.https://www.practicalcaravan.com/media/kunena/emoticons/dizzy.png
IMG_2802.jpg

Two camera's two veiws, wide angle in last post and the reversing angle here;
IMG_1244.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts