Reversing Cameras

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lord B

I've only got myself to blame really because for the past ten years I've been telling my o/h that this

I----------------------------I

is six inches.

The camera that sprocket mentioned is on ebay
Oh my word, if that is six inches then my OH.............well, what I mean to say is, no wonder he always gets it wrong when he's measuring out bits of wood in the garage!!

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi LB

The one I have is dead easy to install & I find it very good on the back of my truck, the monitor I have is just on a piece of Velcro & only stick it on to the dash when I use it, then put it back in the side of the door,

The hardest thing about fitting the camera is connecting the power from the reversing light, & the wire for the monitor power I picked up from the back of the radio ( I have a false slot under my radio so I tuck the wire in there )

I do like the idea mentioned about one on the back of the van & apparently with this system you can hard wire it ( I think the cable is extra ? )

Sproket.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
To reduce video loss i would use RG59 coax, also do some research into the camera spec, go for at lest 480 TVL. Many outlets sell cameras, but the spec is often poor, 420 TVL, for example gives an image but with out much clarity.

You have to pay more for TVL, etc, the camera i bought this year for the house has 520 TVL, night vision is 15m, something to consider if you what a constant picture at night.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Reg,

That is where I got my clipon monitor and cameras from,excellent service,wanted an extra cable and he sorted it out next day for me.Put two cables in the offside awning channel to run a reversing and also camera for pulling in after overtaking.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi DDave

Presumably you have 2 cameras and both are wired into the mirror/screen. If so how thick are the cables?

Also do you have to manually switch from one camera to the other or does the reversing camera automatically overide the rear view one. I presume that you have the rear view camera is permanently on. I don't have any rear view through the van.

If you were to put one camera only on the van for reversing where would you site it? Most of my towing is in abroad (europe).

Regards

Reg

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Have put one in the middle for reversing and one on the left for overtaking,the cables are about 4mm diameter and just squeeze into the awning channel with a little help and silicon lubricant.I have a piece of plastic fascia board siliconed onto the roof like a spoiler to hold the cameras,when the warranty is up(this year I'll screw it to the aluminium channel holding the roof to the back panel.There is a touch button to toggle between the screens as I use the reverse one for a rearview as well but I beleive your right that the one connected to a reversing light supply will override the view,I think its handy to see if someone is close behind you eg a cyclist slipstreaming in traffic that you might not see in a mirror

There are 4 pin waterproof plugs to connect up near the towbar but only takes a few seconds.I put one camera on work van when I'm not using the caravan,thats why I needed extra leads.

HTH

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Your welcome,if you order from above site you need to specify the 4 pin option as they normally have jackplugs which are not waterproof,meant for motorhomes etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts