Reversing lights not working on Caravan

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

All been working fine since we've had the caravan, but hitching up yesterday, the reversing lights didn't work, everything else was fine... They worked on the car... Could it be a green tool job or...?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What’s a green tool job?
Just sounds like a poor connection to the caravan. My first action would be to clean the plug and socket and reconnect. If that doesn’t work then you will need to check our other possibilities. Try the easy one first though.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I don't think it is a green tool job.

Try OC's recommendation, if unclean contacts prove to be the problem, then after cleaning try protecting the contacts etc. with ACF50.

Probably an electical conductor lamps issue though.

Hope it is an easy fix :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Think real basics such as check the bulbs on the caravan.

Surely checking the plug socket connection is more basic than bulb checks as to have two bulbs go when both have been working okay is less likely?

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. It's a brand new van as of 29th March, so I think I'll try the plug and socket first, I'm a dab hand with a multimeter...

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. It's a brand new van as of 29th March, so I think I'll try the plug and socket first, I'm a dab hand with a multimeter...

Then get in touch from where you bought it from

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Well, I've dodged the showers and it's the car socket. There's nothing between socket 8 and 3, when the ign is on and the car is in reverse (car rev lights are on) so it's the car socket wiring... I need to find where the unit is and if there are any fuses I need to check...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
Well, I've dodged the showers and it's the car socket. There's nothing between socket 8 and 3, when the ign is on and the car is in reverse (car rev lights are on) so it's the car socket wiring... I need to find where the unit is and if there are any fuses I need to check...

Thanks for the update, it’s always useful to find out what the cause of a problem is. Although from your first post I read it as if the reversing lights had been working but then they weren’t. Shouldn’t jump to conclusions should I?

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
A thought to the OP: does your socket have a switch built into the side of it so that when you put the plug in it disconnects the car reversing light? If it has it could be that the wires on the switch are reversed so that the 12V is left floating and the car lights are connected to the caravan lights neither with 12V on them.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the responses... The reversing lights WERE working when we left storage on Tuesday, but WEREN'T when we left the site Thursday...

No switches that I can see. The towbar was installed in November, the only thing that could be is if there's separate fusing for the lights from the added control unit...

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi , my mate has a pegasus & had problems with his brake lights & had to call someone out and he said the fitter came out and there is a fuse box at the rear of the caravan under the back somewhere .

I noticed in mine the other week when I was having a good tidy up there was a fuse box for lights inside at the front end beside where my 3 chest draws are under the seat .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Hi , my mate has a pegasus & had problems with his brake lights & had to call someone out and he said the fitter came out and there is a fuse box at the rear of the caravan under the back somewhere .

I noticed in mine the other week when I was having a good tidy up there was a fuse box for lights inside at the front end beside where my 3 chest draws are under the seat .

Yes mine are at the very front end of the nearside locker. Really convenient to identify each fuse though. :—(

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Well, all very interesting... Spoke to the Towbar installer today, and apparently the issue is due to the caravan having two reversing lights, and the unit only expecting a single 21W bulb, so the unit shuts it down... Now to have (ahem) a polite conversation with the light spotter and get her to see what's what... Probably not been working all along for goodness sake!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Larry, The faults on Caravans are getting more complecated, , ie, fuses "in "the caravans, LED caravan trailer lights, not compatible with tow cars, its all going into helping folk on this forum,

Now how do you change a gas mantle again. :p

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Just as a final update on this one, the lighting unit manufacturer put their hand up to the issue (later units work with dual bulbs) and sent me (at the behest of the fitter) 4 CANBUS LEDs - 2 blue white for the reversing lights and 2 yellower white for the fogs. Swapped them out and all is working fine now. Just one to add to the pile of "ah I remember seeing that on a forum" pile

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
Just as a final update on this one, the lighting unit manufacturer put their hand up to the issue (later units work with dual bulbs) and sent me (at the behest of the fitter) 4 CANBUS LEDs - 2 blue white for the reversing lights and 2 yellower white for the fogs. Swapped them out and all is working fine now. Just one to add to the pile of "ah I remember seeing that on a forum" pile

GUZZI, Thanks for the update, as the caravans get more modern, the electricery gets more complicated. Time for me to retire from some forum postings. :(

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Glad you got it sorted....I had a strop with my reversing lights when I was checking everything at the start of the season...then remembered you have to plug the grey plug in as well as the black...

BUT

I've read to the end of the thread and I still don't know what a green tool job is?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Gozza said:
Glad you got it sorted....I had a strop with my reversing lights when I was checking everything at the start of the season...then remembered you have to plug the grey plug in as well as the black...

BUT

I've read to the end of the thread and I still don't know what a green tool job is?

Unbelievable :silly:
watch this video , the little green cap is what you use to resort your pins out if they are out of sync and also leave it on the end when not using your caravan and it acts like hat for the damp to stop getting in !

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=534AbREa-9w&ved=2ahUKEwjUweng8MHiAhVHUBUIHXHFChsQjjgwAHoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw02NQGOLSUJFFDlG5I3nZJS&cshid=1559172279029
Hope this helps !!

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Gozza said:
Ah, thanks Anseo and Craig...part of this ultra modern 13 pin technology!

Gozza, if you do not have a 'green tool thingy' you can clasp the cable firmly in one hand and rotate the plug with your other hand, does the same job; check out the post made by 'Second Timer' https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/123560-13-pin-socket-mis-align/?do=findComment&comment=1471165

Green tool video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534AbREa-9w

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Gozza said:

When you've spent 10 minutes on your knees by the towball trying to figure out why the caravan plug that came out all right now won't go in, you'll remember this thread and wish you had a green tool..

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
Gozza said:

When you've spent 10 minutes on your knees by the towball trying to figure out why the caravan plug that came out all right now won't go in, you'll remember this thread and wish you had a green tool..

Well surely the Op must know what it is now & what to do with it now :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts