Reversing mirror

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Has anybody come across a reversing mirror that you can put on the back windscreen with a suction cup so that when reversing to hitch up the caravan you can see in the mirror when the towball is directly under the hitch. Once hooked up it can be quickly removed. I remember seeing something similar permanently fixed on old Toyota Spacecruisers.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi stormforce ,
Firstly I wouldn't trust the vision of a mirror as it could be deceiving when looking through it , or get someone to reverse you onto it clearly by hand signals , or get a mover so then you can inch by inch it and place it on to the tow ball.

Craig .

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
The ones you are thinking of are standard Japanese spec on imported cars.

We use the reversing camera that's standard on our car. Loads of aftermarket kits out there for less than £100.

Prior to that it was just a case of mutually agreed hand signals.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
stormforce11 said:
Has anybody come across a reversing mirror that you can put on the back windscreen with a suction cup so that when reversing to hitch up the caravan you can see in the mirror when the towball is directly under the hitch. Once hooked up it can be quickly removed. I remember seeing something similar permanently fixed on old Toyota Spacecruisers.
Apart from those on Japanese imports years ago I’m not aware of any temporary units. I guess the modern equivalent would be a reversing camera.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do remember something of that type being advertised some years ago but have not seen anything for long time. I have a camera and it is fantastic as I can see the tow bar in it and get it right under the hitch. It did come with the car but is so good I would have one fitted if I got a car without one both for hitching and general use.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Years ago I used to use a tennis ball cut in half through which I mounted an old telescopic car aerial. This was then mounted onto the tow ball. Just in front of the caravan hitch I had a similar aerial pushed into a small chunk of wood. Easy to align and set up better than a temporary mirror. By today’s standards distinctly uncool but it worked very well for when I had to hitch up alone.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
otherclive said:
Years ago I used to use a tennis ball cut in half through which I mounted an old telescopic car aerial. This was then mounted onto the tow ball. Just in front of the caravan hitch I had a similar aerial pushed into a small chunk of wood. Easy to align and set up better than a temporary mirror. By today’s standards distinctly uncool but it worked very well for when I had to hitch up alone.

I've spent ten minutes trying to visualisework that out before I grasped the principle. :blush:.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Anseo said:
otherclive said:

I've spent ten minutes trying to visualisework that out before I grasped the principle. :blush:.

I omitted to say the obvious two points. One make sure the aerial is long enough to see, and two a small pennant stuck on it allows you to see ‘contact’ more easily. All I did was a cheap copy of something that was available at that time, but which I was reluctant to pay for :)

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I made a version a couple of years back, using a wooden pole and a door mirror extension (towing mirror). The pole sits in the towbar-mounted bike carrier bracket and the mirror is attached to it such that when I sit in the driver seat, the rear view mirror and mirror-on-a-stick combination combine to show me the towbar. It isn't perfect but it was free as I already had the bike carrier, and the other bits were hanging around in the garage.

Before that I'd experimented with a wireless video baby alarm with the camera magnetically attached to the tailgate (and removed once hitching is complete), but the screen on the cheap one I used was a bit rubbish and in any kind of sunlight was too difficult to see.

If the budget ever allows I'll definitely get a proper reversing camera fitted...

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Parksey, thats an incredible price,
Go Outdoors are doing a kit for a caravan rear view camera, but it is £198.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Parksey, thats an incredible price,

Go Outdoors are doing a kit for a caravan rear view camera, but it is £198.
Camping or caravan outlets will charge whatever they think you will pay Hutch.
This is why companies like Toys R Us and Maplins have gone bust, similar goods are readily available online at a fraction of the store price.
Look at the cost of a 100watt 12v 'Caravan Solar Panel' from any caravan accessory store and compare it with a 100watt 12v solar panel from Fleabay.
Both products are exactly the same but one will be significantly more expensive than the other.
I'll leave you to guess which one is more expensive. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts