Reversing onto a pitch. Distance at rear gauge.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Struggle with reversing onto a pitch? Maybe this will help you. What you need is a piece of rope/mine tape just a little longer than the length of one side and one width of your van, and 3 pegs/bricks/blocks to keep it in position on the ground. Pre-mark the point on rope/tape where the corner will be when laid in an "L" shape along length and across width of your van.

Decide the exact position you want your van to be pitched, and then lay your tape on the ground in an "L" with the short leg across the back of the pitch and the long leg on the side you are reversing in from or drivers side if reversing in straight.

Now as you reverse onto the pitch at an angle, you will be able to see the long leg of the tape on the ground either through the window of your car then as you get straighter (is that a word?) and lose the ground view of the tape, hey presto it will come into view in your (inside of the turn) mirror. (I always set my cars own mirrors (electric very easy) low and wide so that I can see the caravan wheels on the inside of a turn prior to reversing). A competent reverser (is that a word also?) will now be able to steer the required corrections to keep the van going into the bay (onto the pitch) keeping the van paralell to, and a few inches from, the tape.

And the bit across the rear? (Well here's an old truck/bus drivers tip) This is your distance gauge. What you need to do in advance is:

1. Have your outfit in a straight line on level ground.

2. place a piece of tape on the ground 8-12 inches behind the van and across it's rear

3. Now sit in the car and look at the tape on the ground in your towing mirror.

4. Then have an assistant stick a piece of insulating tape on the awning rail of your van at a point where an imaginary straight line between mirror and the tape on the ground, passes through the awning rail. (If not tape maybe paint an inch or so of the rail instead)

5. You now know that when reversing in a straight line upto any object, wall or your tape on a pitch, that if it is above your mark you have a way to go and when it gets into line then you have the clearence you originally set!

I cant stress enough that you need to be on flat ground for this to be accurate. It is particularly good for reversing into those bays in motorway service areas with the real high kerbs, or up to your garage door if the other half isn't around to yell stop!

There we are, well done if you read it all, many wont need this adcvice but maybe it'll help a few - let me know?

Andy Palmer

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
No doubt your method works but I'm trying to visualise somebody getting bricks, blocks and tape out and marking a parking space at a motorway service area every time before reversing in. Also, the expression on the faces of people standing around would be worth seeing, too! For someone who is often in the position to have to reverse without assistance I would suggest fitting either a closed link TV monitor or one of those proximity sensors that some cars come with nowadays. One can find kits on the market today that are not prohibitively expensive and you can always transfer the unit to your next outfit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ahh yes I see what you're saying Lutz having read it back to my self. Let me clarify. In most cases where you have some visual aid such as bay marking, or the edge of your driveway, or paralell kerb, you will never need to lay out your rope for side reference and a fixed object behind, kerb, wall, paint across rear of parking bay etc can be your rear reference.

This method is simply a guide to get you used to using visual aids around you to help you define your vans position.

I carry a piece of rope for this purpose (rope being heavier than tape won't blow away, so does away with the need for blocks etc) but I only ever use my rope guide on grass pitches where there is no other visual reference.

Hope that makes things clearer. Andy Palmer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy

An interesting peice of work. it would be much easier to go on a Camping Club Manouvering course then you would be able to reverse quite easy without all that hasle. do you perfom this ritual in the rain as well that should be fun. I drove buses for many years and never came accross such a thing. I thought you might be interested to know that it is illegal to reverse a bus in service.

Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jim, you may well be correct in not reversing a bus "in service", however when I passed my PSV in a London bus, the driving school had all the training buses wheel arches marked for the purpose of gauging distance when reversing up to the painted area at the rear of a "cone bay", which of course is a part of the driving test for PSV's and HGV's!

I'm surprised this suggestion seems to be the cause of amusement although I guess my first post wasn't as clear as perhaps it may have beeen! Now I know why newspapers employ proof readers!

However I say again that I only ever use this "rope " method on grass where there is no other visual reference and I want the van in an exact spot. Sure the missus could "guide me" but left and right can get rather confusing when one person is guiding another in a towing vehicle (and backwards too!!)I prefer to be able to see some point of reference for my self - "the mirror never lies" as they say!

So what do others look at in their mirrors when reversing? I'd be interested to know. Especially from Lutz and Jim!

Happy Caravanning! Andy Palmer.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Jim, you may well be correct in not reversing a bus "in service", however when I passed my PSV in a London bus, the driving school had all the training buses wheel arches marked for the purpose of gauging distance when reversing up to the painted area at the rear of a "cone bay", which of course is a part of the driving test for PSV's and HGV's!

I'm surprised this suggestion seems to be the cause of amusement although I guess my first post wasn't as clear as perhaps it may have beeen! Now I know why newspapers employ proof readers!

However I say again that I only ever use this "rope " method on grass where there is no other visual reference and I want the van in an exact spot. Sure the missus could "guide me" but left and right can get rather confusing when one person is guiding another in a towing vehicle (and backwards too!!)I prefer to be able to see some point of reference for my self - "the mirror never lies" as they say!

So what do others look at in their mirrors when reversing? I'd be interested to know. Especially from Lutz and Jim!

You ask how I do my reversing into a tight spot if car and caravan are at an angle? Usually I get out and survey the available clearance around the back of the caravan, especially where the far corner that I can't see in the car mirror will go. Based on the clearance there, I select a suitable path in my mind for the side that I can see in the mirror (or, if, necessary, looking back with the driver's door open) and drive by that. If it's a really tight spot and things are critical, I get out and check my progress as I go along. As I have an automatic, I can inch the caravan back, just as I want. The spot where I store the caravan only has about 6 inches to spare on either side at the end and I've always managed to reverse it in there like that.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If I am reversing onto a difficult pitch without someone to watch for me, I put something (peg, stick, large stone etc) to mark the intended position of one caravan wheel. I know my length and width to the nearest metre. Then I simply reverse to the marker. This works perfectly when I want to keep the awning within an area of hardstanding etc. It allows me to position the caravan both fore/aft and sideways on the pitch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Thanks MikeP and Lutz for your comments yesterday. Mike your peg in the ground is but a variation on my method I'd say, and Lutz your "path in your mind" is exactly the same as my method - except I lay a piece of rope along it!

I'm glad this post has caused some discussion, maybe a little hilarity at my expense! But if a few, or even just one person benefits from it, then I guess it was worth it.

Happy caravanning all, Andy Palmer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Hi Andy

Sory for the delay mate been quite busy lately. I can see your logic But I find it a matter of judgeing space and distance,if it works for you so what, you did not comment on the manuvering course I beleive they are good. as for buses in trianing that is fine it is designed to help judgement.

Keep on trecking matey

Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks MikeP and Lutz for your comments yesterday. Mike your peg in the ground is but a variation on my method I'd say, and Lutz your "path in your mind" is exactly the same as my method - except I lay a piece of rope along it!

I'm glad this post has caused some discussion, maybe a little hilarity at my expense! But if a few, or even just one person benefits from it, then I guess it was worth it.

Happy caravanning all, Andy Palmer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jim I'm sure manouvering courses are very worthwhile although I must admit I have not taken one myself. After 10 years in the REME (army) and 3 years doing breakdown/recovery after that, by the time I got to caravans I was happy with my trailer skills, Except for when there is no visable point of reference... (never quite mastered drawbar trailers though. 2 pivot points - close together!!!)

In the dark can be fun too. In this case I get the misses to stand where I want the back corner of the van, holding a torch pointing at her feet!

Cheers Mate Andy Palmer

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why not just send the "other half" out into the wind & rain to wave her arms around and jump up and down.

It is much simpler and it gets her out of the car, which has the added benefit of stopping the constant moaning about the mess you are making of the reverse. Just keep the windows shut & you can't hear.

That should put the cat among the pidgeons. Ha Ha!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why not just send the "other half" out into the wind & rain to wave her arms around and jump up and down.

It is much simpler and it gets her out of the car, which has the added benefit of stopping the constant moaning about the mess you are making of the reverse. Just keep the windows shut & you can't hear.

That should put the cat among the pidgeons. Ha Ha!
As an hgv 1 driver for some twenty years, I have no trouble reversing, but if the desired area has any problems or it's dark, my good lady stands at the rear of the van with a two way radio to watch me in. Why not ? My van cost a lot of money so why risk a bump? Plus the advantages of a radio are many but two spring to mind. 1 there is no need to shout just talk normally into the radio, ideal if it's late. 2. I don't need to be able to see her in the mirror's, something she could never grasp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts