Reversing with Skoda Superb

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi- I am a newbie having defected from the motorhome community! I have bought a 2010 Skoda Superb 2.0 D 170 BHP 4x4 estate which I am very pleased with- and a 2008 Bailey Senator Wyoming series 6. I appreciate this caravan is on the max for what I should be towing with this car weight-wise (slightly above 100% of the kerb weight though the stated max towing weight of the car is 2000kg) but it pulls fine and feels very stable- until I try to reverse! The clutch starts to smell awful and a couple of times the clutch pedal position has moved down which worries me- but the clutch has not started slipping and it is still driving fine. Is this to be expected with reversing a van of this weight (~1600 kg) or is there a known issue with the Skoda clutch (I'd be surprised as it is such a respected towcar..)
Any pointers appreciated thanks very much
Alastair

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ho Jackoe
I have a Wyoming. 1670 kgs mtplm. No light weight..Reversing a heavy twin axle particularly in a tight turn. The 4 wheels partly scrub in the turn increasing the effort required. Can you reverse using no throttle to eliminate too much clutch slip?
I suspect the Skoda may have a higher reverse gear than 1st so that doesn't help.
On the basis you like the car, and it's not for me to say "not a good match" have you considered having a motor mover fitted? You can then reverse without using the Skoda.

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Dustydog- I really didn't want to go much bigger with the car but we like the space of the wyoming so hope we can make it work as a combination. I am looking into movers- will probably be cheaper than replacing the clutch I guess. May improve when I am more confident at reversing too- there's a lot of to-ing and fro-ing at the mo!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi
We used to have a Wyoming and agree with dusty about the wheels scrubbing on tight turns,we always slacken of the Alko stabiliser when reversing,as we were advised that when reversing the stabiliser grips the ball and puts extra pressure on the clutch,might be worth trying.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
An expensive option but a motor mover would save the clutch. Having said that under no circumstances would I tow over 100%.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts