Right to be Forgotten

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
How do social forums deal with "Right to Be Forgotten/Erased" requests. I can see that posts made by a member can be deleted by themselves, or possibly en masse the by the Forum admins, but copies of original posts embedded in another members reply would be quite difficult to remove, and would undoubtedly create disjointed threads.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm not sure that embedded quotes should be deletable - after all you can't unsay something verbally which you later regret saying.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
On another forum (not caravan related) this was discussed in depth. On there your right to be forgotten extends to your personal details and user name, but the posts you make become property of the forum owner as soon as you post them and are not removed. The username on the post is changed to 'deleted member 12345678' or something similar. I'm not sure if this or other forums work in the same way.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On another forum (not caravan related) this was discussed in depth. On there your right to be forgotten extends to your personal details and user name, but the posts you make become property of the forum owner as soon as you post them and are not removed. The username on the post is changed to 'deleted member 12345678' or something similar. I'm not sure if this or other forums work in the same way.
Thanks, what happens to those posts by the member that are embedded as quotes in subsequent members replies? Are they anonymised ?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It's probably one for the lawyers but I think Right to be Erased means personal data has to be deleted from a company holding those details.

Right to be Forgotten is I think, something to do with not showing up when searched for on the Internet.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
It's probably one for the lawyers but I think Right to be Erased means personal data has to be deleted from a company holding those details.

Right to be Forgotten is I think, something to do with not showing up when searched for on the Internet.
I had to double check but they are the same.

It's a bit of a grey area in relation to forums such as this. I believe that if I ask to be Erased (or forgoton) the forum owner has to delete my name, address, phone number, email etc, but anything I've posted on the forum is not covered as I have voluntary put it in the public domain. Even if the forum owner deleted my posts, any forum member (or guest) could have a record of it stored on their pc / phone so erasing it completely would be impossible.

TRENDING THREADS