Rip off spare body parts from VW

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There's always pricing differences for common parts in multi-brand groups - Kia service parts seem to be cheaper than Hyundai - Skoda parts may be cheaper than Audi but Saab were cheaper than Vauxhall so there's no logic in it.
Each manufacturer in a multi-brand group will have his own algorithm to calculate the cost of service parts depending on prevailing conditions, so it's really not surprising.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would imagine that supplying car dealer had a different source for the replacement part than the Subaru franchise. Unlike the Subaru franchise the supplying car dealer may not have purchased directly from the factory, but through a wholesaler who also wants to cash in on the deal.
I believe that dealers can no longer be compelled to source replacement parts from the factory. If they can get them cheaper from China it's up to them, but they do have to ensure that non-factory parts are not substandard.

But £230 dearer plus the suppling dealer‘s Labour rates are lower than the franchise Subaru dealership. Methinks he thought I was born 10 February 2021 🙈 Or rather sometime July 2020.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is whole raft of different approaches to the handling of spares.

As Lutz points out an item like a glow plug, is small, and it may be used on multiple vehicles, so it could still be a current production item, and for many mechanical parts some companies might have a number of suppliers from which to purchase. This will tend to keep spares prices and availability good.

Items like body panels are bulky, and if they are not for present production, any stock will have a high storage cost. If the panel is a self coloured moulding, then what colours should they keep? the scale of the problem increases with the numbers of different colour ways they offered. Often small changes are made to the panels over the run of a vehicle to accommodate new light fittings or trim items.

Its more likely the tooling will have been kept (usually by the OEM supplier or an dedicated aftermarket supplier) and if a piece is needed then it has to be moulded specially. This is made more difficult as the moulding compounds have to be sourced and mixed to get the required colour etc.

Keeping spares (especially for products no longer in production) is a very costly business. There are additional administration costs, and it is legitimate for businesses to make a profit on spares. However I do know some business do over inflate the price of spares items simple becasue they can.

Generally though its is still cheaper to effect a repair than to scrap and buy a whole new car or caravan.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think it’s actually worse now Prof. Both my moulding and Damian’s mirror mentioned earlier arrive in primer, no paint. Painting is now extra and no doubt saves the cost of storing different colours. I would not be at all surprised if more modern cars are written off as uneconomical to repair. This is borne out by the latest DVLA classifications of “write off types”. Bizarre yes but very very clever. The more vehicle written off on repair cost the more new ones needed to replace the 🤪🤪🤪🤪

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think it’s actually worse now Prof. Both my moulding and Damian’s mirror mentioned earlier arrive in primer, no paint. Painting is now extra and no doubt saves the cost of storing different colours. I would not be at all surprised if more modern cars are written off as uneconomical to repair. This is borne out by the latest DVLA classifications of “write off types”. Bizarre yes but very very clever. The more vehicle written off on repair cost the more new ones needed to replace the 🤪🤪🤪🤪
I had to replace the bumper plate that covers my rear towing eye. I sourced two from Taiwan with total cost including postage at around £7. They came as black plastic. It’s one of my warm weather jobs to spray paint it. Although surprisingly I’m getting quite used to it and it would be easy to find on a dark night. But it will never be removed as the towbar has no tapped hole to screw the towing eye into.

Your glow plugs make me envious as recently four new spark plugs set me back £25 each with fitting another £110.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

This is why many insurers reserve the right to use second-hand parts during repairs.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think its unsafe to assume the whole of the spares industry on supplies un coloured parts. That might be the case in the examples you have used.

I don't think its significantly worse now -

OEM spare parts in most industries have always always attracted premium prices.

Then you can sometimes get third party made parts that have been approved by the design holder.

In some cases you can get "pattern parts" where the OEM supplier may sell an OEM part but without the manufacturers markings at a better price.

And for many generic parts there is a thriving copy cat parts bin, but you run the risk of not getting parts that are as well manufactured.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had the windscreen replaced on my Sante Fe, in the first year, thankfully the colour coded side cover pieces came off ok and went back. The fitter said no new ones were supplied and they would be black and have to be sprayed to be colour coded.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The driver's door mirror on my VW Touareg was wiped out by a truck - the original estimate was £1630 - but the truck company declined to settle with me directly so it went through insurance who added £900 for like-for-like car hire, not that I thought the Mercedes-Benz GLE was as nice as my Touareg. Ironically, at the next service VW agreed to replace the passenger's door mirror as it was noisy when folding so I've now got a pair of new mirrors.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts