Jul 2, 2024
Visit site
Good afternoon,

I have owned a touring van for a couple of years. I don't go to far init. That said, when I do I get a dry mouth and always fully research the road route via Google maps, I have just ordered a caravan road atlas as I just don't trust sat navs. I am waiting for the atlas to be delivered. Not with standing this I am of on journey to Ladys mile holiday park nex week in Dawlish Warren. I am already getting nervous and dread the thought of getting stuck down a narrow single track road. I am coming from Berks up the M4 and onto M5. Does anyone know the best route to this site Via A380 (I think)? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Good afternoon,

I have owned a touring van for a couple of years. I don't go to far init. That said, when I do I get a dry mouth and always fully research the road route via Google maps, I have just ordered a caravan road atlas as I just don't trust sat navs. I am waiting for the atlas to be delivered. Not with standing this I am of on journey to Ladys mile holiday park nex week in Dawlish Warren. I am already getting nervous and dread the thought of getting stuck down a narrow single track road. I am coming from Berks up the M4 and onto M5. Does anyone know the best route to this site Via A380 (I think)? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Neil
The site should have access directions for visitors arriving from different points of the compass. I always used Google maps with streetview giving me an easy to recognise navigation point. Then Streetview to familiarise myself with the precise landing approach.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I just get on with it, and deal with any "issues" IF they present themselves.

If campsites have iffy or suspect roads that people might use to access them they invariably put that information on their website to prevent them being used by their visitors.

If you are THAT worried should you really be towing a caravan?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Neil star. Are you going on your own or do you have someone who can navigate; because that makes all the difference. My job as navigator is to check the sat nav or Google maps route against whatever instructions the site gives for approach and to preempt the sat nav if a change of lane is going to be required. I also have “analogue gooogle”-an AA road atlas to hand if needed.
I understand your anxiety. I am a perfectly competent driver but the thought of towing petrifies me.
Mel

Jul 2, 2024
Visit site
Thanks Mel. Going with my Wife. Mr. Plodd I always get there but I do get nervous before towing. Not going forward and even on narrow 2 lane roads. I can reverse and rarely use the motor mover when parking up. That said I would struggle and probably panic if I ended up on single lane. I can not reverse straight for a distance and that's it.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Have you considered doing one of the clubs towing courses?
They are very good and will do wonders for both your confidence AND your reversing!
Find a large empty carpark or industrial estate and have a go at reversing, practice makes perfect (or at least a marked improvement) for any skill.

Jul 2, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. Yes, I have checked on the site details and no directions on their web site. I have emailed them but no reply yet. The caravan uk road atlas is due to be delivered tomorrow so I will crack it. I was just hoping someone has been there and knew the main route in. But thanks for your help.

Cheers
Neil

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would come off M5 at junction 30, take A379 which bypasses Exeter and takes you straight to Ladys Mile, road is very easy dual carriageway around Exeter then standard A road , couple of narrow bits particularly around Starcross but very easy to do.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Mel. Going with my Wife. Mr. Plodd I always get there but I do get nervous before towing. Not going forward and even on narrow 2 lane roads. I can reverse and rarely use the motor mover when parking up. That said I would struggle and probably panic if I ended up on single lane. I can not reverse straight for a distance and that's it.
Just take it steady , not everyone is a confident tower, have break on the last motorway stop before you come off.
Have a good look at Google maps and at any point to to Street view.
Most of all take it steady.
Safe journey.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When caravanning its wise to recognise the added difficulties of having an articulated wider than average vehicle can cause when accessing some caravan sites.

Generally the bulk of UK roads you will use to get within 10 miles of your destination site will be major routes and thus not be a problem,

As others above have pointed out sites where access is difficult will normally publish the best routes to use. Use this information to set way points in your satnav so it guides you along the preferred route. Make sure you keep a copy of the access instructions with you in the car along with a suitable road map of the area just in case you miss a turn.

I suggest you might practice using way points on journeys that you do locally in the solo car just to get used to setting them up.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts