Roadcruz tyres.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A result. The tyre was inspected, and the item in the attached picture was found in the caseing. What are the chances of that happening, expecially in a 2mile journey. The main downside is the cost of another new tyre, along with replaceing the Bailey spare wheel winder, which is totally mangled up. Still, a relief that it didn't occur in a worse situation like on a busy motorway.
Thanks for all the thoughts and replies.
Thanks for the update it must have put your mind to rest over the tyres. I only had one caravan puncture in all my years, but car punctures seem to blight me now. Earlier this year a Continental picked up a thin sliver of metal, very difficult even to find even using bubbles. Non reparable position. £220 replacement cost and it had done less than 5000 miles.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I had acaravan tyre 'blow out' in France, a result of my ignorance over the fact that they degrade with age. The damage caused was considerable !
Which is why I have just changed mine at six years old .
We also had a tyre blow out on us while on site. and the caravan stationary Gave everyone on site a hell of a scare.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Many years ago I was towing a helicopter out of the hanger and the Nose wheel burst, totally deafening, and scary, a different base had changed the tyre, previously, with one one of the same size but lower weight loading. .
Something you have to check when buying new tyres.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I think there is some confusion over what a blow-out is. In a very small nutshell, a blow-out occurs when the pressure in the tyre drops slowly causing friction to heat up the tyre during the course of a journey over a period of time, to the point it literally disintegrates. It's the remnants of the tyre remaining on the wheel which flails against the caravan body causing horrendous damage.
A journey of two miles is not sufficient to cause a tyre to heat up to the point it blows out. I suspect you've suffered a rapid deflation caused by the sharp object piercing the tyre. The problem is, if you are unaware that the tyre on the caravan has deflated, by continuing to drive on it the weight of the caravan will shred the tyre against the road surface and again the ruined tyre will flail the caravan body.
I would definitely recommend to everyone towing a caravan to fit a TPMS such as TyrePal, which warns when pressure is dropping and temperature is rising so you can stop before a disaster occurs.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think there is some confusion over what a blow-out is. In a very small nutshell, a blow-out occurs when the pressure in the tyre drops slowly causing friction to heat up the tyre during the course of a journey over a period of time, to the point it literally disintegrates. It's the remnants of the tyre remaining on the wheel which flails against the caravan body causing horrendous damage.
A journey of two miles is not sufficient to cause a tyre to heat up to the point it blows out. I suspect you've suffered a rapid deflation caused by the sharp object piercing the tyre. The problem is, if you are unaware that the tyre on the caravan has deflated, by continuing to drive on it the weight of the caravan will shred the tyre against the road surface and again the ruined tyre will flail the caravan body.
I would definitely recommend to everyone towing a caravan to fit a TPMS such as TyrePal, which warns when pressure is dropping and temperature is rising so you can stop before a disaster occurs.

We were on site stationary and had been for a couple of days when our tyre exploded. We do have a TPMS and prior to arrival on site no issue with pressure.

Prior to thsi on our Lunar and before we bought the TPMS, the tyres were checked prior to leaving the site. About 5 miles later on the motorway the tyre blew.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We were on site stationary and had been for a couple of days when our tyre exploded. We do have a TPMS and prior to arrival on site no issue with pressure.

Prior to thsi on our Lunar and before we bought the TPMS, the tyres were checked prior to leaving the site. About 5 miles later on the motorway the tyre blew.
When you say in your second para “checked” was that a check in pressures, and/or examination fir nails, defects etc. Although travelling 5 miles is adequate distance to pick up a puncture. So fitting TPMS is a good idea; as you have done.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When you say in your second para “checked” was that a check in pressures, and/or examination fir nails, defects etc. Although travelling 5 miles is adequate distance to pick up a puncture. So fitting TPMS is a good idea; as you have done.
With the Lunar it was only a check on the tyre pressures and looking at tyre while doing the checks. If the tyre had been low for some reason, I woudl have checked further.

This was in about 2012 and the reason why we bought the TPMS, As it was a twin axle I did not know that the tyre had blown until someone on the M4 until someone flagged us down. That is when we discovered how awkward it was to access the ALKO spare wheel carrier. Took the mechanic nearly 1/2 hour to extract the wheel.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Bringing our caravan home from storage yesterday, the TMPS registered the pressures at 60 psi and 21c after towing 12 miles home the pressure and temps had stabilised at 67 psi and 26c, a fantastic safety bit of kit.

May 12, 2019
Visit site
Before the tyre went back to the supplying dealer, you could have telephoned the Trading Standards, they may have wanted to have a look at the tyre, your tyre could have been fitted on a car which had been involved in an accident. I sold tyres for may years and a blow out is very rare and points to a fault in construction.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Before the tyre went back to the supplying dealer, you could have telephoned the Trading Standards, they may have wanted to have a look at the tyre, your tyre could have been fitted on a car which had been involved in an accident. I sold tyres for may years and a blow out is very rare and points to a fault in construction.
The OP reported that inspection had found a sharp penetrating metallic object in the tyre.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think there is some confusion over what a blow-out is. In a very small nutshell, a blow-out occurs when the pressure in the tyre drops slowly causing friction to heat up the tyre during the course of a journey over a period of time, to the point it literally disintegrates...
I disagree with your definition,

What you describe as tyre pressure drops slowly is a "puncture"

In my book a "Blow out" is a very sudden loss of tyre pressure and integrity.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would class this below as a blow out.

Happened on the 2nd.steer axle on my 8 wheeler tipper whilst loaded😯

You can see the outer part of the tyre wrapped around the axle.
View attachment 4844
Fortunately I’ve only had one caravan tyre go. That was at 60 mph on the Monmouth to Newport dual carriageway. The first sense I got that sometihing wasn’t right was a loud noise akin to a 747 overhead. When I looked in the mirror the tyre sides were flapping around and shedding down the road. I finished up with an almost empty wheel. Luckily the van stayed stable but getting the Alko carrier out was the most difficult bit. I think the tyre blew as it was aged and in those days I wasn’t so aware of degradation due to age etc. The other tyre was 6 years old and both plus spare were renewed. But since then I’ve been “ tyre aware” to the point of obsessive 😱

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I disagree with your definition,

What you describe as tyre pressure drops slowly is a "puncture"

In my book a "Blow out" is a very sudden loss of tyre pressure and integrity.
It's not a definition, just a simple explanation of the factors leading to a tyre blowing out. The sudden loss of tyre pressure and integrity is the result of the tyre overheating to the point that it cannot maintain its structural integrity. This heat is caused by friction due to air escaping slowly during a journey which allows the sidewall to flex more. At least that is how it was explained to me at the Michelin Tyres training centre during my twelve years in the tyre trade. When a tyre gets punctured by a sharp object it will just go flat if it isn't driven on for long or far enough for the overheating to occur.

I would class this below as a blow out.

Happened on the 2nd.steer axle on my 8 wheeler tipper whilst loaded😯

You can see the outer part of the tyre wrapped around the axle.
View attachment 4844
Yes, that is a classic blowout. The tyre has become so hot that it lost its structural integrity and literally burst.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Even with that sticking in a tyre I wouldn't expect a catastrophic failure, a rapid deflation possibly, but not an instantaneous blowout, and jt tgere was a total blowout I would have expected that nail to have been ejected from the exploded casing priorvto the vehicke being brought to a standstil!
But I wasn't there of course!

Reactions: Paullus1959
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I take the view that a blow-out is a sudden and total loss of pressure - a puncture is a gradual loss of pressure - it's not complicated.
Exactly, tyres don't just pop like a balloon. Even when a vehicle is "stung" by police using a HOSTYDS (Hollow Spike Tyre Deflation System) the tyres don't blow out, they are deflated slowly so that sudden loss of control of the "stung" vehicle doesn't occur. However, if the vehicle continues to be driven then the tyre will become shredded between the road wheel and road surface.
Tyres are generally destroyed in one of two ways, by heat due to friction and by shredding between the road surface and the wheel.
It is also important to have a flat tyre that has been driven on for any distance to be removed and the inner surfaces checked for damage. Don't just pump it back up and forget it. I've seen many flat tyres that appear perfectly fine on the outside but are completely ruined inside.
As I mentioned in a previous post, a TPMS will alert you to a problem before a disaster occurs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Exactly, tyres don't just pop like a balloon. Even when a vehicle is "stung" by police using a HOSTYDS (Hollow Spike Tyre Deflation System) the tyres don't blow out, they are deflated slowly so that sudden loss of control of the "stung" vehicle doesn't occur. However, if the vehicle continues to be driven then the tyre will become shredded between the road wheel and road surface.
Tyres are generally destroyed in one of two ways, by heat due to friction and by shredding between the road surface and the wheel.
It is also important to have a flat tyre that has been driven on for any distance to be removed and the inner surfaces checked for damage. Don't just pump it back up and forget it. I've seen many flat tyres that appear perfectly fine on the outside but are completely ruined inside.
As I mentioned in a previous post, a TPMS will alert you to a problem before a disaster occurs.
Thank you for the more detailed explanation of your understanding, which makes better sense. I would add another scenario. And that's where a new tyre has not been fully inflated, and that causes extra side wall flexing. It's not had a slow release of pressure.

I still maintain that a blowout is the sudden release of pressure and loss of tyre integrity, and there have been some tyres which have just "popped like a balloon" because they were faulty, or as you point out they may have been damaged previously, so the event wasn't linked.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts