Roasting on the cadac

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I have been having fun with the cadac knocking up the general barbecuey type food and creating some most excellent, if somewhat lardy, breakfasts. Has anyone roasted a chicken on theirs and if so how do you do it? I reckon that you may have to spatchcock it first but after that I’m guessing. Do you need the roasting try or is that just another gadget?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Done many a roast on the Cadac.
If possible us those foil bbq trays with small holes.Then place some sliced onion or carrot for the joint to sit on.They protect the joints underside.
Set the heat to its lowest.Put the lid on and leave for at least an hour. Then test.Do not keep removing the lid to look. You'll spoil the roasting process.
Rest joint as usual then enjoy.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I know a lot of people wax lyrical about Cadacs but if your van has a perfectly good oven then why carry extra weight? :evil: :whistle: Could use the weight allowance for something more useful like beer or wine. ;)

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Sorry WC but there is just something about the cadac that goes with caravaning.

It is one of those things that makes you feel good doing it. :)

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Obviously I have a perfectly good oven in the caravan and at some point I may even use it. The Cadac lives at home and travels in the car. I am in agreement with Phil; when I am away like to live outside as much as I can and therefore cook outside and if possible eat outside (obviously this is less realistic in the winter but certainly over the summer we will); now that I have made the transition from tent to caravan I see no reason why we should change this. It seems to me to be part of the whole culture of camping/caravanning. Another thing of course is that although it is fitted with a perfectly good oven, grill, hob and so on, the caravan is still our bedroom and I do like a fry up of a morning which is obviously much better. Thanks for the advice DustyD, I am hatching a plan involving a pair of poultry shears, a medium sized chicken (free range of course) and a pair of skewers. Woody, there is always plenty of spare room for ale (other beverages available). You can trust me on that one.

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I have to admit that I do a lot of my cooking on the Cadac, roasting, baking you name it and I've probably done it, but my advantage is before I retired I was a head chef at a 4 star hotel. My Cadac is over 20yrs old and the way I use it to roast is flame diffuser and BBQ grill mesh, the diffuser spreads the heat rather than the direct flame, the lid to mine isn't the solid type but has vents all around it so I use a large piece of foil pushed over the handle and pulled over the vents. With a chicken as already mentioned I also spatchcock it, this reduces the height letting the lid fit properly, I also use a oven thermometer to keep a better check on the temperature and I also use a probe to check the meat temperature this is a throw back to filling all the food safety reports that we used to have to do.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
, I used to BBQ, until a neibouring caravanner , in Vermenton, FR. said " Oh are you Cadacing this evening" swilling her glass of Chablais towards us for a refill, " No just a couple of lamb shanks in garlic rosmary and red wine on the Barbie, , Didnt realise we had up garded to a "Cadac".
:p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts