romas, the debate is on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
ok so its got to b said romas are the best looking vans and a palace on wheels,now we all know if you drive past or around a travelers/gypsy camp they.ve got brand new top of the range cars and caravans, fair play to them i say! anyway they all have romas and such like which means there the dogs doodas of all vans! now as dan sullivan (the roma man) they can be towed with a 4x4 of 3500kgs, discovery and the like.so if there good enuf for the stinking rich travellers why arnt they good enuf for us? we know tow weight is an issue for some people but a few people have said sites wont take them because travelers use them. ok so most travelers maintain are roads but we use them, travalers own the fun fairs and we use them to and we admire there funfair vehicles and caravans, i must stress at this point i own a plumbing and heating company and not a traveller, just cant understand why you all snub the vans they use? ok if they did,nt use them would you all go out n buy one?? like i said i,m looking to buy a caravan and studied all caravans on ebey now dnt take this the wrong way but the (NORMAL) caravan looks cheap and tacky compaired to the roma, i,m just a bit upset that the average caravner and campsites snub the roma just because the average gypo has one, i really dnt think its atal fair such a great van of top quality shud be looked down upon,a van is a van weather its a shed or top of the range, all caravaners shud be welcomed on any site and by everyone! and if a gypo turns up in a roma and starts nicking your wheels then kick him off, if i turn up in a roma with wife and baby girl welcome me, its simple

!!!!

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
You seem to have a sense of fun.

So can I ask.

Did you have "taste" bypass before you set your sites on a Roma and can I suggest you study a little further than Ebay.

I think most caravanners think Roma defines "tacky" and its the odd driveway that tends to get repaired by travellers not the M5 or A38.

If you decide to join avearge caravanners and tour with a Roma a very large sprig of "LUCKY HEATHER SIR" may be a wise accessory.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
HI

Mite never live this down any way had a look at them on the internet just don't like them.

I do like the push out bit on one of them but it cud be a lot better.

Mark

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Jazman. Roma, tacky?

You may or may not be aware that the Roma is the daddy of caravans. Each one is hand built to order and no two are the same.

Some of the highly finished models, like the Sullivan special, cost in excess of

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
50K?? - that's a big sum. You'd have to swindle quite a few old people out of their savings to afford that.

Unless you're lucky enough to find one particularly rich old pensioner (preferably without relatives to poke their noses in). Then you could pretend to do repairs to his roof, charge him tens of thousands of pounds, and march the frail confused old man down to the bank to withdraw your money.

Roma caravans? - I'd put them all on the Dun Laoghaire ferry - and tip them over the side in the middle of the Irish sea.

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
Totally agree Giest - I would just add that I would prefer that it be done with the thieving scum still in the caravan at the time.

My 85 year old mother in law had a "visit" from a group of these types luckily as she is disabled she had the sense to push her alarm thing she has round her neck and we and a neighbour were able to see them off.

But not before one of them came and stood within three inches of both myself and then the neighbour in a most intimidating manner.

Luckily the neighbour's daughter was there as well and started taking pictures on her mobile phone of the men, their vehicle and the fact it was not displaying a tax disc.

As a result these scum ended up "helping the Police with their enquiries" for an hour or so and then we were told by the police that they had "moved on".

They are scum and deserve to be treated as such.

My 85 year old disabled mother in law still worries about them coming back. Why should she be put in so much fear by a bunch of thieving scum?

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Totally agree Giest - I would just add that I would prefer that it be done with the thieving scum still in the caravan at the time.

My 85 year old mother in law had a "visit" from a group of these types luckily as she is disabled she had the sense to push her alarm thing she has round her neck and we and a neighbour were able to see them off.

But not before one of them came and stood within three inches of both myself and then the neighbour in a most intimidating manner.

Luckily the neighbour's daughter was there as well and started taking pictures on her mobile phone of the men, their vehicle and the fact it was not displaying a tax disc.

As a result these scum ended up "helping the Police with their enquiries" for an hour or so and then we were told by the police that they had "moved on".

They are scum and deserve to be treated as such.

My 85 year old disabled mother in law still worries about them coming back. Why should she be put in so much fear by a bunch of thieving scum?
In the words of one well known far-right Politician, "I say whatever the law requires me to say"

Currently, UK law requires us not to suggest tipping Tinkers over the sides of ferries bound for Eire, so I don't.

You may have heard of the independent local councillor who, while standing for election, published a leaflet protesting against a proposed extension to a 'traveller' site in his local village - an issue of great concern to the people unlucky enough to live near it.

This outspoken gentleman is now being considered for prosecution by those fine people at the Commission for Racial Equality (now the Commission for Equality and Human rights) who, of course, do wonderful work and are worth at least ten times the amount of public money we give them.

The CRE decided that the Councillor was inciting hatred of 'travellers' by opposing their site extension - and will doubtless haul him before a court in order that he can be suitably punished for his crime.

Obviously, they'd also take a dim view of 'traveller' roofing contractors being forced to struggle in the chilly waters of the Irish sea - so it's best not to suggest it.

Happily, there is not yet a Caravan Equality Commission - so it's still reasonably safe to suggest that the chromium plated Roma monstrosities be sent to sleep with the fishes (sans occupants, of course)

What an excitingly diverse country we now live in.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Assuming this is a genuine question and not just another anti post - here are my thoughts:

I wouldn't have one myself as they are not my cup of tea in the looks department both internally and externally. I'd much prefer a Hobby but only if I lived in a caravan permantley or sited it somewhere at a holiday destination. I haven't got a big enough and heavy enough towing vehicle and I'd be terrified of towing something that long anyway.

I have to say however, of the Roma's I've been in (only the older ones), they've suited the large families who tend to live in them well.

Lisa

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
"Taste" and "Roma" in the same sentence?

Bit like "Blair" and "truth" really.

And their `travelling` occupants? A criminal waste of oxygen.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
The fact that some of these caravans are owned by people you choose not to associate with doesn't make them bad 'vans.

In actual fact, of all the gypsies I know I can only recall one having a Roma.

The fact is the travelling community you're referring to don't really use Romas, they're more used by genuine gypsies.

I'm not crazy about the Romas' styling myself, that's why I own a Hobby, but I do appreciate it is one of the best caravans around, with few equals.

I'm not a gypsy, but I do know a lot of gypsies, and none of them would rip off an old lady I can assure you.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The fact that some of these caravans are owned by people you choose not to associate with doesn't make them bad 'vans.

The fact is the travelling community you're referring to don't really use Romas, they're more used by genuine gypsies.

I'm not crazy about the Romas' styling myself, that's why I own a Hobby, but I do appreciate it is one of the best caravans around, with few equals.

I'm not a gypsy, but I do know a lot of gypsies, and none of them would rip off an old lady I can assure you.
Well said.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Well said and me too.

Lisa

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

as with most things it is down to personal choice, for me the Roma just looks tacky and stands out as a gippo van. Unfortunatley Hobby's and Tabberts fall into the same catagory, I don't doubt they are well built (comment edited).

Lets not forget why we all pay over the odds for insurance and have to fit expensive wheel clamps etc, so many stolen caravans end up in Ireland and they don't get there on their own. When gippo's do get moved on we tax payers pay for the clean up and have you ever seen an elsan point in a layby or on a park?

(Comment edited)

spj

SMS

Dec 6, 2006
Visit site
Moderators.

Time to delete some of these comments and ban some of the contributors. There should be no place on a forum such as this for outright racists. ( If that is the right word for the originators of some of the comments)

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
Disagree 100% - I have no problem with the true Gypsy's that cause no problems.

What we are objecting to is thieving plain and simple.

To say otherwise would mean that any race of people not indigenous to the UK are above the law and cannot be prosecuted.

What happened to myself, my neighbour and my Mother in Law was intimidation pure and simple. They believed they were above the law. Saying that comments on thieves are racist just because the live in a caravan is just so much politically correct twaddle.

SMS

Dec 6, 2006
Visit site
Disagree 100% - I have no problem with the true Gypsy's that cause no problems.

What we are objecting to is thieving plain and simple.

To say otherwise would mean that any race of people not indigenous to the UK are above the law and cannot be prosecuted.

What happened to myself, my neighbour and my Mother in Law was intimidation pure and simple. They believed they were above the law. Saying that comments on thieves are racist just because the live in a caravan is just so much politically correct twaddle.
In my mind:

"quoted words used" (see spj post above)

is a racist comment. As are others, but not all , in this topic. As such they need to be deleted.

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
SMS

In general gypsies do steal things, the work they do is cash in hand, the kids don't go to school and due to a lack of facilities on their 'sites' they leave a mess when they are moved on, there will be some exeptions but most are as described above, these are not racist comments, just simple facts. The council run gypsy sites are fine by me although I would not choose to live near one, but at least they have rubbish collections and pay something towards the costs involved. The gippos that roam staying on private land with no permission, paying no tax and stealing I have no time for. General acceptance of any kind of people no matter what they do has long since taken the 'Great' away from Britain.

spj

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
My employers have employed cheating thieving tax avoiding scumbags, none of them have been Gypsies/Travellers. True Romanies tend to be honest hard working people who often travel. The reputation set by other traveller groups should not be targetted at Gypsies as one group, that said -

Those travellers whose actions attract the rightfull comments expressed here should not be priveleged to hide behind the racist banner.

Such comments are valid against any rogue faction if we are to change behaviour for the good in our society.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Lets get it right once and for all.

The thieves that live in caravans, that invade open areas, & leave a mess when moved on are travelers & not gypsies.

Lisa,

You can not say that you would be frightend to tow some thing large, if you are not now then you are at some time going to drive a LGV, that is exciting.

Did you get my thread about transfering to Hereford & Worcester

G.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts