Roof boxes

Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
Hi all. We are thinking about buying a roof box to store the awning in when travelling as all you good people keep recommending not to put it in the van! Is there any particular type anyone can recommend? We would like to also be able to carry bikes at the same time. Have got a Sorrento so shouldn't have a problem with roof space. Many thanks. Chris.

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
Crispy we have a roof box from Halfords (own make) its the long narrow one. We intend to store our awning and dare i say it my hubby's golf clubs in it when we go to France this summer.

yvonne

Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
Crispy we have a roof box from Halfords (own make) its the long narrow one. We intend to store our awning and dare i say it my hubby's golf clubs in it when we go to France this summer.

yvonne
We're also off to France in August, all the way to Perpignan! Never towed abroad before either. To say i'm a little aprehensive is an understatement!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Crispy

I am sorry if this response seems rather negative, but you suggested combination of car and loads raises my concern.

Even for a Sorento I think you may be asking rather a lot to carry both a roof box and cycles whilst towing.

I have seen a narrow roof box for skies, which might leave enough room along side to fit possibly two cycles on the roof, but the box would not carry much. Some cars and roof mounted bike racks can be too tall for ferries.

The other possibility of a tow ball mounted bike carrier has problems, as you have to add the weight of the bikes and rack to the nose weight of the caravan, and that combination must be within the tow bracket's capacity. Some ball mounted racks cannot be used when towing because the caravan my foul on the bikes.

If i were only towing in the UK my choice would be bikes on roof, and the other items destined for your roof box, stowed in the caravan.

Continental touring I would see if i could stow the bikes in the caravan with appropriate padding to protect furniture etc, and a roof box for other items.

Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your repsonse John L. I'm very new to this towing lark and am very much a novice. Our van is a Bailey Ranger 500/5, which, i'm told is quite a light van. Do you think it'll still be too much strain for the Sorento putting bikes and a roof box? I was thinking of stowing the awning in the roof box rather than the van as i've read it's best this way. Any feedback would be very helpful.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
John is right, On our discovery we use the roof box and a bike carrier. the carrier is on the spare wheel and clears the caravan to a point I can let the dog in and out of the back without disconnecting the van or removing the bikes. It took some time to find the right carrier but it was worth the trouble.

However, the nose weight figure for my car is 250kg. I have no idea what it is for yours

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Having caravanned for around 20 years with the Awning travelling in the van and often 5 Bicycles. I can't see what the problem is apart from when you want to use the van on route.

Don't take to much clutter Crispy, if you are travelling abroad to the sun you don't need half the wardrobe with you. Nor do you need enough gear for Raymond Blancs kitchen and restaurant.

There are super markets and laundry facilities all over so you don't need to stock the van for a siege ;-)

Many put bikes on the roof or on cycle carriers, the extra drag due to wind and the creeking and drumming noises can be wearing and worrying.

Apart from tow hitch weights, many rear cycle carriers pose other risks. I've seen cars bikes and caravans damaged when turning corners. Many of the nylon straps and hook systems used "relax" and loosen a few miles down the road. I've seen two bikes go under a caravan, also bike being dragged between car and van in varying positions. I've also in the past year managed to stop two BMW drivers in a 3 series and 3 series touring. Two ladies and kids in the "touring" were angry until I showed them the hanging lower straps and pointed out that as they drove along at 70 the bicycles were flying held by two small straps and the car had been damaged and the rear window cracked. The other was on the M40 and the guy caught on to me pointing to the rear of his car and followed me into the services. At first he was angry as all looked well at stand still. He then saw the damage to his pride and joy from where the bikes lifted away from the car at 50 mph plus and twisted side to side in the wind causing hundreds of pounds of damage.

I've seen far to many other bike rack incidents to mention.

Keep what you carry to a minimum, I've always taken the new van to a weigh bridge with the intented load and with three Caravans have managed to carry Awning, Bikes and families gear and keep within considered safe limits.

If you have to use a rear of car cycle rack, buy QUALITY! Not flimsy polyprop webbing jobs with small hooks that go onto plastic bumpers and have flimsy plastic strap adjusters.

If you then intend to travel with the bike from campsites when the van is parked you need a lighting board with another license plate so that lights and registration plate is CLEARLY visible.

Have seen M40 and M1 police pulling drivers with rear lights and plates obscured by cycles on racks. Some M Way service ways have warnings about this!

Our continental cousins seem to carry bikes on quality carriers in general and with extra lights often as an itegral part of the rack. I therefore assume that continental police will take a dim view of obscured lights.

If you have to put the bikes on a rack, please stop a short way along the road to check the fixings and

regularly on route :)

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Chris,

An awning and two bikes will probably be quite heavy?

Remember the loading limit for the roof, I guess is around 75 kg (which seems to be the figure for nearly every car).

Robert

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Chris,

An awning and two bikes will probably be quite heavy?

Remember the loading limit for the roof, I guess is around 75 kg (which seems to be the figure for nearly every car).

Robert
Except the Rover 75 which is 100Kgs on the roof also on the tow ball

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Rob.

I prefer not to have anything on the roof and no way a bike rack for me.

Others have to fit to the van and cars specs. Years ago when I had Volvo estates the QR front wheels of the bikes and the awning frame travelled in the car, fabric and rest of bikes in the van.

Our bikes have always been quite light, and as said I've always taken new vans to a weighbridge with average load.

I've been in cars with roof boxes and bikes on roof and rear racks, when I'm towing the van I want a clear view of van and be able to hear familiar sounds, not have a bike wheel revolving and drumming through the car or a strap tapping and flapping causing me to wonder what the h1ll the noise is.

I'm sat in my van watching my ducks again, its loaded and ready to go as it always is for three people now, I would just have to put our three bikes in. I would still have about a 100 kg to spare even with the bikes in.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again Crispy,

I am sure from the many positive responses the Sorento is a fine tow car and would have no trouble with the overall weight of the caravan bikes and awning etc, Its the way you would need to load it.

as other respondents have pointed out, the roof of all cars have a maximum allowable load, typically between 75 to 100Kg, you have to check with the manufactures figure for your car. So provided you do not exceed the weight limit yes you could have box and bike on the roof, but do note the hight which might be a problem on ferries

It all down to sensible loading, bike on the roof will affect your MPG.

And ther are limits for the tow ball and the max permitted towed mass.

In all cases you must not exceed the manufactures figures.

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
crispy i have a sorento to, and use halfords own top box its the long huge one that takes up most of the roof space lol only space for one bike up there. But i use a Maxxraxx bike carrier connected to my tow ball its the best bike rack i have seen holds up to four bikes and is high enough not to interfere with the jockey wheel. The sorento's self leveling suspention has no trouble leveling the load and it behaves very well with the bike rack and caravan.

Martin

Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
Hello all. Thanks for your responses to this. I think i'm probably going to go down the road of a rear mounted bike carrier as i'm conscious of decreasing the fuel consumption of the Sorento even further by fitting a carrier to the roof. I had been storing the awning in the van but have been put off doing this by comments suggesting it's best to store it in the car. I'm a total novice to this and have only owned a van for 2 months so am attempting to find out as much info off you good people as possible before I venture off to Perpignan in August!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
crispy. Jsut take my advice and make sure you buy a "quality" rack with good secure fittings that keeps the bikes well clear of the vans A frame and does not have the bikes near the van when in a tight turn. Make sure you can lock the bikes and rack if you have to park up on route, and take good qualty bike locks and always lock your bikes to a solid object when using them in France ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts