Route from Dunkirk to Vias (Bezeir) via the A75.

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi, both the ferry and the campsite are now booked, for next July.11 nights on the Beach Club Farret site, 3 pitches up from the beach. I have travelled this journey several times previously, (toll roads) but this time I am allowing myself 3 days to get to my destination, and would like to try the A75. I am slightly worried about the more challenging terrian for my outfit, and to whether there's much in it? from a monetary, and ease of driving in using only tolls and the A6 route.
Firstly, could any one give advice on possible overnight stops, and durations from landing in France at around midday, day 1.
Secondly a suitable day 2 stop, to allow me to be on the med around lunchtime day 3.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Regards Paul.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Paul, this is a route we always use now to go down to the Languedoc (the A75, I mean). We generally use the N154 as far as possible, and then a cross-country route which goes past Nevers and Moulins before picking up the A75 at Gannat north of Clermont Ferrand. This year we spent 2.30 euros to do a couple of junctions around Orleans (the alternative is through Orleans, which is a bit of a nightmare) and 9.80 euros to cross the Millau viaduct, and that's all! We stopped overnight at Camping de Nevers (municipal site) - but we do have a very early start. You could stay somewhere around Chartres (there's a municipal site there) and then again in Millau for your second overnight, and you'd easily be down to Vias at lunchtime.
As far as tolls go, the A6 all the way down from Dunkerque, via Lyon will cost 121 euros in tolls, towing a caravan. If you did the Abbeville/Rouen/Chartres/Orleans route, but with more 'toll sections' using the toll route to Abbeville, then the A71 south of Vierzon, before joining the A75, then tolls would be 66.10 euros towing. Don't forget, too, that you can fill up with fuel at supermarkets and save more than 20 cents a litre - a significant amount for a fill-up.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
We often go down the A75 having joined the A71 at Gannat (this avoids a built up area near Clermont Ferand) and this year it cost €5.5. Its a wonderful road with great views and should not be any problem so long as you are not underpowered. As Val suggested we also stop at Millau (usually for several days) and then rejoin the A75 south side of the Toll bridge. Another splendid drive then down to the coast. I dont think we are missing anything by not driving over the bridge as the people who have tell us that there is nothing to see due to the high sides.
Dave

May 12, 2011
Visit site
In addition to it being cheaper and more picturesque, the A75 is also less busy. We used the A6 for the first time this year and I was amazed at how many heavy lorries there were, but I suppose it is to be expected as the main axis thru' Marseille, Lyon, Paris and the channel ports.
The only tough stretch is the steady climb up the Central Massif, about 1200m I think but it does seem to go on forever, so make sure your cooling system is well sorted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts