Route from St Helens, Merseyside to Longnor Woods nr Buxton

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Folks

Following recommendations of other folk on this site my wife, Max the collie and I are off to Longnor Woods, nr Buxton for a 5 day break. YIPPEE!!

We are travelling from home at St Helens, Merseyside on the Tuesday after Easter.

The RAC and AA route planners both suggest down the M6, then to Macclesfield and then over the Cat and Fiddle and finally down the A53 towards Leek.

I have driven over the Cat and Fiddle but a long time ago in my pre-towing days. What is that route like for towing? We have quite a big van but tow with a 4x4 and have quite a lot of towing experience.

Another possibility would be to across to Stockport and then travel down the A6 to Buxton.

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks

Tim

Apr 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi, We live near Buxton and would not entertain taking our caravan over 'the cat and fiddle', it is far too twisty and hilly from Macclesfield. When we go across to your area, we take the van down the A6 to Stockport. It should only take you about 45 mins to Longnor woods from there.

Have a lovely time and if you want any other info on the area, just ask!

Lorna.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your advice folks

Lorna- I'm afraid we missed you route advice and offer of further help as we left the day before you posted the reply!!

Thanks anyway.

We did go via the "Cat and Fiddle" both way!! Although as you say the road near Macclesfield is both hilly and twisty the good old VX Monterey coped very well and we managed to keep up a good speed to save inconveniencing following drivers. The views that way were stupendous. We had a lovely break at Longnor Woods and hope to return to the beautiful Peak District soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts