Route Question avoiding Sutton Bank

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

On Thursday we will be taking the van from Newton Aycliffe to Helmsley. With Sutton Bank not being available to caravans, it looks like we have the choice of 2 routes:

1. Across to A19, then A174, A172 to Stokesley & then B1257 direct to Helmsley
2. Across to A19, South until just past Thirsk & follow the caravan route avoiding Sutton Bank through Coxwold, Wass & Ampleforth

Neither route looks massively appealing – any opinions?

Thanks,
Jim

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Hello Jim
Both routes are perfectly acceptable for towing. We hve used both and have found no problems using tehm.
I strongly advise you not to use Sutton Bank. The notices are there for a purpose. There is a serious hairpin on this hill.

Lulubelle

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Hello Jim
Both routes are perfectly acceptable for towing. We hve used both and have found no problems using tehm.
I strongly advise you not to use Sutton Bank. The notices are there for a purpose. There is a serious hairpin on this hill.

Lulubelle

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
we did route 2 going to golden square site, the route as i remember was well sign posted. well neaarly route 2 we went up the A1 which i think brings you back down the A19.

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for both the replies. I already know that Sutton Bank is closed to caravans - & I agree that it should be.
I guess I'll be looking at Googlemaps to try & figure out which of the 2 routes available will be quicker.

Thanks again,
Jim

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Bilsdale is much the better. Some inclines but no real hills, road mainly wide but curvy, never met any tractors, very scenic.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
I agree with the comment above - Route 1 via. Bilsdale is much more scenic, route 2 left the 'van mud spattered round about Ampleforth. Alas route 1 is very popular with motorcyclists who apparently enjoy the sweeping bends, sometimes with disasterous results. The second time I tried to use route 1 it was everyone do u-turns to route 2 due to two M.C. accidents so keep an eye out for suitable turning places as you go. Sad but that is how things sometimes are.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts