route to spain

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
straight forward question- from le harve to Spain (begur) which route would you consider to be the best i.e. A28/20 etc or A10/A75.Also looking to stop twice on way down and would appreciate any tips on campsites relativly close to motorway.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I've been doing this journey for several years although mine has always started at Calais. Since you are starting from Le Havre I would take the A13 to Rouen, then the A/N154 through Evreux and Chartres then across to the A10. I usually keep on the A10 and A71 although the N20 which runs alongside is a reasonably good road for towing. An overnight stop is convenient at Bourges. The tolls continue to Clermont but after that it's toll-free. The A75 will take you to the A9 and the border then the Spanish A7. A total of just under 700 miles. What I would not do is take the A28. I did use it a few weeks ago from Tours to Rouen and with the caravan it cost me an eye-watering 42Euros.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Salbris is also a good place for an overnight stop, just off the route described by John Douglas - Camping Le Sologne, which is just off the main road through Salbris, at the side of a small lake, with some lovely lakeside pitches, friendly management, sanitary blocks are clean but very dated - but everything works well and the showers were nice and hot. It does start to fill up from about 4.00pm - and there are several French families holidaying for longer periods there, so get an early pitch. There's a small bar on side, which does snack-type meals and you can walk to the shops and supermarket in Salbris (where there is also cheap fuel, so take the opportunity to fill up).

Otherwise, a bit further south on the A75 is the municipal at Issoire, or La Grange Fort at Parentignat just a bit south of Clermont Ferrand. If you get further south on the A75 there are lots of sites in Millau, some with superb views of the viaduct.

I've listed several alternative areas, because I don't know how far down you actually want to stay -- but Salbris and then Millau are easily do-able as your two stops - and then from Millau down to Spain gets you there in reasonable time. We may be doing a similar journey in early May.

G

Depending on your start time at Le Havre I can add Camp Municipal d'Olivet at Orleans (Page 462 2007 cc europe book) Its a lovely site by the small river Loiret, all the others mentioned are good options, we like Millau as well. I think we paid 49 euro from Paris to Clermont last September

On the A20 Bessines sur gartempe just north of Limoges again the municipal site by a lake,looks scruffy but we had no problems there

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ian, Living near to Portsmouth, we often use Le Havre and have travelled to Spain countless times. There is no best way; they are good - just different. It is worth considering the A 75 south of Clermont F is toll free - but hilly. The A 20 is largely toll free. The A10/A62/A61 is flat and fast but is they long way around. Travelling back from Costa Blanca last year, the toll free road across Spain from Valencia to Zaragoza was excellent and then the Somport Tunnel - toll free and easy. It's your choice. Good luck, Phil

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts